Max Trailer Weight Rating- Will I be Legal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Trying to validate towing capabilities and legality.

I'm looking to purchase an RV Travel trailer and want to ensure my truck is up to the task. I'll provide everything learned (or at least my interpretation) and ask for some input from those who hopefully have more experience.

Truck
2015 Limited 4x4 w/5'7" Box and 3.21 gears

Per SAE J2807 for this truck/year:
GVWR= 6,900 (validated on door sticker)
Base Weight= 5,366 (rounded up)
Front/Rear GAWR= 3,900/3,900 (validated on door sticker)
Payload= 1,530 (RAM site shows 1,251- Assume this is to account for model variation)

GCWR/Max Trailer Weight Rating:
3.21= 13,800/8,000 (RAM site=7,800)
3.92= 15,950/10,150 (RAM site=9,850)

My understanding on how these calculation are applied:
Payload Max= 1,530- Includes people, cargo and hitch weight. *Nothing can be done to change this and remain legal.
Max Trailer Weight= Trailer and its contents *This is affected by gear ratio.
Hitch Weight= the downward force of the trailer weight on the hitch. *This is variable but should be equal to 10%-25% of trailer total weight. This weight must be included in payload calculation.

Based on the above figures, here's my understanding of key constraints and what I can legally pull:

*All weights would be subject to actual at scale but are estimated for now for validation.

Travel Trailer Estimated total weight= 8,800
Hitch Weight= 880 @10%
People + Cargo= 350
Payload= 1,230

The only area I see a problem with is the trailer weight, only because of the 3.21's. Can a legally solve this problem by swapping over to 3.92's? Again it is clearly understood that changing the gears does nothing to affect CAWR, GVWR or Payload.

One last thing... Since I have the 4 corner air suspension is a WD needed?

I know this is a long post but wanted to provide as much detail as possible and rationale. Thanks in advance!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Gear swap doesn't legally increase your towing capacity. I believe it should because that's the only difference. And with a 4wd truck it's going to cost you North of $2500 to get the swap done due to the welded front axle. Your payload sticker should be on your door with the tire pressure sticker the limited is a heavy truck I would be shocked if it was 1500lbs that's what my quad cab express was. I have to give you a hand on your research though your thinking of all the variables and I applaud you for that.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Payload= 1,530 (RAM site shows 1,251- Assume this is to account for model variation)

GCWR/Max Trailer Weight Rating:
3.21= 13,800/8,000 (RAM site=7,800)
3.92= 15,950/10,150 (RAM site=9,850)

Payload Max= 1,530- Includes people, cargo and hitch weight.

Travel Trailer Estimated total weight= 8,800

Hitch Weight= 880 @10%

People + Cargo= 350

Payload= 1,230

There are some info missing possibly. The hitch weight for a TT given by a mfg is dry/empty. Put personal items, water, propane, etc and the hitch weight goes up. You wll also need a weight distribution hitch - more weight.

Is the TT est total weight dry or max?

People and Cargo looks low - 1 person 200 then 150 lbs of other?

Try this calculator

RV Tow Check | Towing Capacity Calculator

The most important number is the GVWR - you shouldn't go over that number.

My 2500 - passengers and payload should not exceed 3,072. I'm full timing RVing and I was buying a new TT and truck. I picked the TT first then the truck needed to safely tow it. I'm also full timing Rving so I wanted to have a safty margine.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only area I see a problem with is the trailer weight, only because of the 3.21's. Can a legally solve this problem by swapping over to 3.92's? Again it is clearly understood that changing the gears does nothing to affect CAWR, GVWR or Payload.

no, swapping the gears wont legally do anything for you. are you sure about your payload capacity? i thought the limited model ram only has like a 1200lb payload. also, 350 lbs for people, cargo and hitch seems awfully low to me. a weight distributing hitch is still a good idea even though you have air suspension.

your going to be overweight from a legal standpoint. your not terribly overweight though. try to take the trailer for a test run before you buy it to see if you would be comfortable towing it with your truck. you might find that you want a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be a placard inside the driver door showing the payload for your individual truck. No website will be 100% accurate if you want to stay within legal limits. I also think 1,500lbs is too high for a truck as bedazzled with options as a limited; my Sport is only low 1300#- you should be less than that.
2 more things- on top of the "empty" tongue weight manufacturers give you have to remember they are often wrong (on the low side). It is rare for their published specs to be accurate.
2nd point- you want a MINIMUM of 10% tongue weight, or the trailer may not tow well. That sucks for us with low payload, but you will find out. I would consider 15% of the published trailer weight a more realistic tongue weight.
My TT tongue weight is so low even with dual 6V batteries and propane, I have to keep fresh water in the tank for additional weight.

Sorry, but it's not as easy as putting numbers on paper.

OP
OP
Grunt4Life

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
"Your payload sticker should be on your door with the tire pressure sticker the limited is a heavy truck I would be shocked if it was 1500lbs that's what my quad cab express was."

Wow so I checked the sticker and it states 1,182 so there a 69lb difference. RAM site states 1,251 for a limited.

"Is the TT est total weight dry or max? People and Cargo looks low - 1 person 200 then 150 lbs of other?"

The model I'm looking at is a Crossroads ST310RL:
Dry=7025
GVWR=9,018
Hitch Dry= 618
Estimated Trailer weight:
400 lbs- We weighed cloths, towels, bedding, cookware, tools, small generator, and accessories like chairs etc. and it puts us at 360 BUT i'm sure more stuff will and up in there.
400- For 40 gal water tank plus 2 30 lb propane tanks
That brings it to an estimates weight of 7,825

Increased the Max weight to 8,800 for crap I haven't thought about, which is why I was thinking about the gear swap. No plans to add solar or travel with a lot of food. We will by local once we get where we're going.

Estimated Hitch= 780 @ 10% or 1174 @ 15%

As for people/cargo it's just my wife and I and a 11 pound dog. total weight is about 326. Rounded up since the wife always has a small cooler to hold about 12 bottles of water and a bag with a few snacks.

Target Weights:
Trailer Weight= 7,825 (175 lbs under)
People/Cargo=350
Hitch Weight= 780-1,174

Max Payload= 1,130 (52 lbs under) -1,524 (342 lbs over)

Will need to add the weight for WD hitch. Again in the grand scheme of things I think we'll still be good on payload/GVWR.

Now if we are disciplined we should be able to stay within limits or within 350 lbs. I've actually had up to 1,000 in the box giving it a payload of over 1,350 thinking I had more.

I know this is pushing the truck but it will only be temporary 2-4 trips over the next 2 years (less than 500 miles each way) followed by 1 way trip across country.

How many of you don't want to be on the highway if I do this:roflsquared::roflsquared:

On a serious note what are your thoughts?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
!

The air suspension will pump up the rear springs to level the truck, perhaps overloading the axle. You may end up with like 80% of the weight on the rear axle. 20% on the front, making for interesting driving characteristics.

Yes a WDH is needed, to even out the weight carried by each axle.

There was a good WDH + Air Suspension setup post here awhile ago.... but its best to use a scale on each axle and adjust the WDH to get ~ 50% on each axle.... or whatever you thing is right for you.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is GCWR?
How much does your truck really weigh?
Use a WDH.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should at least consider lighter trailer options.
Changing the gears will allow you to pull more weight, more easily, but will not change what your truck is rated to pull unless you get it re-certified, which costs far more than getting a more capable truck.

Q- did you buy the macked-out Limited with no thought of towing at the time of purchase?

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

Get a smaller TT. You will be able to go safer and faster.

That is a lot of trailer for the amount of time you are going to be using it. If you were going to live in it I'd say it is a good size and you should get a new truck.

2016 Crossroads Rv Sunset Trail Super Lite ST310RL, South Burlington VT - - RVtrader.com

This is more than enough

Sunset Trail Super Lite Model: ST250RB

You really should even look smaller. You will use the TT more. People with large TT don't use them as much as smaller ones.

You are also going to face wind resistance and hills - you are buying too much trailer.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

use your judgement. i dont think anybody here is going to tell you overloading your truck and exceeding your limits is a good idea. do people do it? yea. myself included in the past. but again, use your judgement.

somebody else said it and its excellent advice...you need real world weights.

also, towing at max capacity can be a white knuckle experience. i wouldnt want to drive cross country like that.

OP
OP
Grunt4Life

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks everyone! Someone asked did I buy the truck without thinking about what I wanted tow. Actually no. I wanted a larger truck but the wife said we won't need that, we'll get a smaller trailer. Now she has decided a bigger trailer is in order. Maybe i'll get a new truck from this.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Personally I am in the overkill camp, I tow a 5700 travel trailer with a 3500, weight distribution and sway control hitch. LOL.
You definitely need a Weight distribution hitch with sway control. How often/far do you tow?
In reality, properly set up you will be ok.
Does anyone know of someone actually getting in serious legal trouble by slightly overloading?
Like in an accident with serious legal consequences? Just curious.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Now she has decided a bigger trailer is in order. Maybe i'll get a new truck from this.

I've changed trucks and trailers so many times because of my wife's changing mind that I think it would have just been cheaper to get another wife :) :)

Just kidding, of course. With a 35' 5th wheel I thought I was done but now "we" are starting to consider a Class A someday. And I thought trucks and trailers were expensive :crazy:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just to clear some things up... you are asking if its LEGAL, but I think you mean is it safe and possible.

LEGAL has nothing to do with safety or ability. LEGAL only has to do with your trucks registered weight and combined tire ratings. Deleware's vehicle registration appears to be $40 a year with no regard for weights. If you were registering as a farm vehicle or commercial vehicle you would have to declare a weight and pay a fee associated with that weight. It does not appear that regular truck/passenger vehicle registration plates require a maximum weight rating.

Then you are limited by your combined tire rating. You cannot LEGALLY have a vehicle that weighs more than the combined rating of all 4 (or 6) tires can handle.

Therefore if you have no maximum weight rating limits on your registration card and your loaded truck weight is less than your combined tire ratings, you are LEGAL. That doesn't mean you are SAFE, nor does it mean you won't break things. Its very important to realize the difference between those terms.

Your biggest issue with any trailer will be your tongue weight of the trailer and the available payload of your tow vehicle. Load your tow vehicle up as if you were camping, full fuel tanks, wife, kids, gear, anything else you carry in the truck. Take the truck across the scale and get the loaded weight. Subtract the loaded weight from your GVWR and that is your available payload.

Whatever number that is will determine the size of your trailer. Don't look at dry trailer tongue weights, those are worthless. You need to estimate 12-15% of the loaded weight of your trailer to properly estimate your true tongue weight. You need a truck that has sufficient available payload to handle your true tongue weight. Only then will you be SAFE, LEGAL and unlikely to BREAK anything prematurely.

I love my Ram truck, but I know that half ton Rams have quite low payload and tow ratings. The 1500's are designed for a softer ride, so they don't handle heavier weights as well. You can probably overload your 1500 and get the job done, but you have much less margin for error in an emergency situation, you will have a much less comfortable ride, you will likely increase wear/tear on your truck and will generally be unhappy with the experience.

I went from a 2010 Tundra 5.7 to the Ram 2500 and now have plenty of payload and much less worries moving down the road. It costs money to play the game, but it makes the game more enjoyable having the right tools. Good luck.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good deal! I love my 2500, it feels more solid towing and you don't have to worry about being overloaded. The coil suspension rides very nice, its quite surprising for a heavy truck!

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone! Wife has me looking for a new truck... Works for me:)

Congrats! As much fun as truck shopping is I know most of us wish the 1500 would work for you, but also you want you to be safe and have a reliable tow vehicle. I hope you took our comments in that context :favorites13:

Happy shopping!

Aries75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Thanks everyone! Wife has me looking for a new truck... Works for me:)

You may want to look at the new Nissan Titans, they are built to be in between the 1500s and 2500s. Also you can get them with the integrated 5th wheel hitch under the bed and only the ball showing. happy shopping.