Mevotech install question!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to install my new MevoTech UCA's on my 2015 CCSB. I have a pickle fork to seperate the ball joints but i'm not sure it will work. The space between the spindle and UCA looks too wide for the fork I have. What did you guys do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Zach

:superhack:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm about to install my new MevoTech UCA's on my 2015 CCSB. I have a pickle fork to seperate the ball joints but i'm not sure it will work. The space between the spindle and UCA looks too wide for the fork I have. What did you guys do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Zach

When I leveled my truck, the ball joint almost separated on its own. I tapped the knuckle with a hammer and it basically fell out.

If you try that be gentle with the knuckle, I've heard they crack easy...

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I leveled my truck, the ball joint almost separated on its own. I tapped the knuckle with a hammer and it basically fell out.

If you try that be gentle with the knuckle, I've heard they crack easy...
When I did my leveling kit I tried to do that with no such luck, that's why I didn't replace the UCA's at that time. Now I have some time to mess with it some. Thanks for the advice.

I used a pickle fork and then it popped out.

Ok, I will try the pickle fork I have. I just don't know if it's big enough. I thought about getting one of the mechanical spreader type they sell at Harbor Freight as well. I know HF tools are usually junk but for a one time deal it should be ok.

EDIT: I am also getting some front end noise now when I hit bumps. I hope it's the ball joints since I already have the Mevo Techs painted and read to go, and not something else.

Zach

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd definitely use the fork then. I didn't want to use a fork because there's a good chance of it tearing the ball joint boot. Sounds like I got lucky with mine.

The good thing is if you mess up the ball joint boot on the stock UCA it doesn't matter because you're replacing it anyway.

Kinda wish I'd done the Mevotechs...

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did my leveling kit I tried to do that with no such luck, that's why I didn't replace the UCA's at that time. Now I have some time to mess with it some. Thanks for the advice.

Ok, I will try the pickle fork I have. I just don't know if it's big enough. I thought about getting one of the mechanical spreader type they sell at Harbor Freight as well. I know HF tools are usually junk but for a one time deal it should be ok.

EDIT: I am also getting some front end noise now when I hit bumps. I hope it's the ball joints since I already have the Mevo Techs painted and read to go, and not something else.
Did you switch to Bils as well or already?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed my bills & Mevotecs I smaked it 3 times with a large ballpoint Hamer and the fell apart .
Go to you tube and search " how to install a lift kit " it shows how to install the Bilsteins which includes the uca Balljoint separation .
I posted this video a couple times in 4th gen DIY .
Watch this video , it's a big help if you don't normally do this sort of work.

EDIT EDIT ^^^^^ EDIT EDIT ^^^^^^

GO TO 4TH GEN DIY AND SEARCH ( How to install a lift kit )

Look for this post

71fc0dee759f7bf7f26cc7508631ae08.jpg

Hope this helps !

Last edited:
OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I installed my bills & Mevotecs I smaked it 3 times with a large ballpoint Hamer and the fell apart .
Go to you tube and search " how to install a lift kit " it shows how to install the Bilsteins which includes the uca Balljoint separation .
I posted this video a couple times in 4th gen DIY .
Watch this video , it's a big help if you don't normally do this sort of work.

EDIT EDIT ^^^^^ EDIT EDIT ^^^^^^

GO TO 4TH GEN DIY AND SEARCH ( How to install a lift kit )

Look for this post

71fc0dee759f7bf7f26cc7508631ae08.jpg

Hope this helps !

Smacked the crap out of mine last time when I did my leveling kit......no such luck. I'm going to try this Sunday when I do the UCA's. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you switch to Bils as well or already?

Using my 2" spacers still. Might do the bils later. I'm ok with the ride as is.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using my 2" spacers still. Might do the bils later. I'm ok with the ride as is.

The reason I asked was due to when I did mine there were some noises when I went over any bump. I asked the forum and someone said to make sure the Bils were tightened enough. I tightened down more and all noises were gone and the ride was tighter and felt great...
Make sure you check everything when done and snug again after driving some. And, alignment is a must

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard somewhere on the form that if your hearing a bump noise it may also be due to installing the flat washer provided with the bills in the wrong location .

This flat washer DOES NOT go under the top nut , it goes on the shocks piston next to the Pistons (flange ) just below the threads up top then you install the upper spring seat assy then the top retaining nut with no washer under the nut

^^^^ Edit Edit ^^^^ sorry should have read my own post !

Last edited:
OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason I asked was due to when I did mine there were some noises when I went over any bump. I asked the forum and someone said to make sure the Bils were tightened enough. I tightened down more and all noises were gone and the ride was tighter and felt great...
Make sure you check everything when done and snug again after driving some. And, alignment is a must

I was wondering about that. When I have the suspension apart for my UCA's I'll check that as well. I also got this in the mail last night........

6f701c156b2890d5299c08d3fe6aca03.jpg

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Are sure you paint the Mevotechs before you install them. Otherwise they'll become rust city.

I used 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of black paint, 2 coats of clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely paint them ! I used VHT Chassis paint , multiple coats.

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are sure you paint the Mevotechs before you install them. Otherwise they'll become rust city.

I used 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of black paint, 2 coats of clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Definitely paint them ! I used VHT Chassis paint , multiple coats.

Good lookin out guys, I painted the crap out of them with VHT engine enamel. They're painted and ready to go in. Just gotta find the time to do it.

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6d9f4c28eabcefd145b8ce5c02d503b1.jpg

0b7e962e13b990131ba7d95a58e00259.jpg

Here's my truck too

OP
OP
zstampe

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice rig bro. You will definitely be happy with your new setup

Thanks bro, love this truck so far. First Ram I've had too. Had a couple fords and a Silverado that was junk.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks bro, love this truck so far. First Ram I've had too. Had a couple fords and a Silverado that was junk.

This is my first Ram as well. I had Toyotas and then went to a Titan and then Frontier. I have been very happy and pleased with my purchase. With everything there are things I would love to change but this engine and transmission and the beast appearance make this the best thing out there.
The forum is a great place to get information and ideas from as well as having a good laugh too, ThatDude596...lol