Michelin or Bridgestone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
My 2016 Longhorn needs tires. I have 43K miles on the OE Goodyear SR-A’s. I drive mostly highway miles and some gravel service roads. Very little off road or towing.

Trying to decide between the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus or the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I had Michelins on my previous 2014 Ram and they were great.I do like the 80K tread warranty on the Bridgestones. The ratings on the Discount Tire site are only .1 point different.

It’s not a money thing to decide between the two since the Michelins are only $17 ea. more than the Bridgestones. However I do want to make sure I get the best tire for my $1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Michelins ... Hands down ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, I’m seriously considering those Michelin’s you described once these BFG KO’s wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have always been a Bridgstone guy and my dad is really big on Michelins. Either one is an excellent tire in my opinion

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Michelins.

My Son-in-Law is a Mechanic, at Firestone, so I can get their tires at cost.
I still buy Michelin's.

Been running them for last couple of decades.

Had a Tire leaking air. Took it in, said it was non repairable and road hazard would fix it. Asked them If I would need to upgrade all four, to get tread wear match. Guy said, nope, within not enough tread wear difference to fool with....this on tires that had 40K miles on them.

I am a Railroad Engineer. Drive my truck through Railroad Yards, over all manner of things. Never changed a flat.(COurse,now that I bragged . . . )

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Without a doubt go with the Michelins. I've never been a fan of Bridgestones at all. I've been forced into them with some new vehicles and they are terrible. Michelins have never disappointed me and I have runs several sets on various vehicles.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are michelins really that superior over other brands?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My brother in law ran a set of Michelins on his Tacoma and got 88k miles out of them and when he put a new set on, I think he could have got another 10k out of them easy....

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Are michelins really that superior over other brands?

Yeah, pretty much.
Biggest complaint is Michelin are expensive. Not really though, when compared to the best tire offered by other major brands, they are right in line and, as mentioned, wear like iron.

I replace my tires at 4 to 5/32nds. Sometime 6/32nds, if sale is going on and seasonal change is close. tires simply do not perform as well when tread starts to wear down.
New Tires are about the same cost, as my deductible. without the wreck, trips to the Doctor or Body Shop and other BS one has to put up with when in wreck.

Don't get the wrong idea. I am a tight ***.
My last truck was a 1999, I kept for15 yrs.
One b4 that was a 1977. (Did have a 1997 for a year or two but hated it)
If I could find something, as good, for less money OR better, for same money, i would buy that.

Now, the sole downside to these tires is they do wear like Iron, so they are a hard tire.
Awhile back, for a couple of years, Michelin fooled around with the formula and went softer compound but customer complaints nipped that in teh bud, PDQ and they went back to old formula, as relates to tire hardness.

SO, back to hard tire, they suck in wet grass. If you are on an incline, on wet grass, they suck. just like most tires would. The only time I have ever been stuck, when using these tires was when I parked right on top of an Artisan Well.

I should have realised why no other cars were parked on in that area, on that grassy hillside, but it was raining so never realised the damn well was there.

Another issue is Pure Ice. Not ICe with crap in it or on it but plain old fashion pure ice. One rarely sees it but nothing slicker.
For that, the softer rubber tire works best. Blizzaks and the like, soft rubber will spread out, like an elephants foot does and gives a better grip.

regular old fashion winter driving under icy or sleet like conditions, softer rubber would be better, without a doubt, but soft rubber does not last.
Reason oen must shange out pure winter tire before the snow melts. Here, even though the Michelins are a harder rubber, their superior tread pattern comes into play.

Bottom line, all kinds of folks get around on all kinds of tires, in all kinds of weather. Speed and ability are every bit as important and the tires on your vehicle.
I prefer Michelins, you might not. many don't. Reason the other companies exist.
Whichever you decide, good luck.

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Thanks Gents! Looks like Michelin’s for the Longhorn.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I’ve owned most brands cooper Bridgestone firestone Goodyear perelli and have never been wowed like my first set of Michelin’s. It’s worth the money. I had a set of perelli on my wife’s cuv and they were good till the end the treads were good but grip fell off towards the end. Continentals were pretty good also. Nothing but Michelin’s for me from now on.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read that the Michelin LTX A/T2 is a better performer than the Defender....never had either, only read reviews. When my SR-A's puke out, I'm going to look at the A/T2. I've had Michelin, Coopers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and General on trucks/suv's in the past. Coopers (AT3) and Michelin LTX were both very good tires. Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Generals were only so-so performers for me.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read that the Michelin LTX A/T2 is a better performer than the Defender....never had either, only read reviews. When my SR-A's puke out, I'm going to look at the A/T2. I've had Michelin, Coopers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and General on trucks/suv's in the past. Coopers (AT3) and Michelin LTX were both very good tires. Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Generals were only so-so performers for me.

I’m guess that’s all subjective and depends on who’s writing the information but tire rack has it the other way around.
c5e848d2fe0b03df0a99dc505292ee83.jpg

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m guess that’s all subjective and depends on who’s writing the information but tire rack has it the other way around.
c5e848d2fe0b03df0a99dc505292ee83.jpg

I am on my second set of Defender LTX M/S....They are without a doubt the best tires I've ever run.

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
DEfender LTX are best I have owned! The wranglers are garbage by comparison. You won't be disappointed.