Michelin or Bridgestone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Railman17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer swapped my GY's out to Michelin's due to out of round issues.... what a difference, super traction improvement. I'll buy them again when these wear out!

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
The dealer swapped my GY's out to Michelin's due to out of round issues.... what a difference, super traction improvement. I'll buy them again when these wear out!

That is the reason I changed mine as well. Have to agree 110%!!!

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just put a set of Michelins on my Ecodiesel at 70K miles after only getting about 35K on Coopers. Other vehicle is a Ridgeline that had Michelins as OE equipment. I got 49K miles on those with dilligent balance and rotation. Put Bridgestones on to replace them and only got 40K on those. Replaced them with Michelins and they now have 48K and still have 6/32 of tread. Michelin is the only way to go.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned both the Michelin LTX Defenders and the LTX A/T.

Both are very good tires. The Defenders probably lasted longer and a little quieter but the A/Ts had better cold weather traction.

I live in pretty mild weather (NW) and highway comfort is my biggest goal. I have owned five sets of michelins over the last 10 years on a variety of trucks and SUVs.

On my 2014 Ram I was stunned how much the Michelin Defenders improved the ride over the OEM Goodyear's. Night and day difference.

On my 2019 Ram I will put another set of LTX Defenders on when the OEM's wear out.

I can't comment on the other brand tires because I have not owned a recent version of them.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Michelin all the way!

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife's Enclave came with the Bridgestone's but not the Plus. She had plenty of tread left at 75000 and were fine so I replaced them with the Plus and so far have been fine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Which Micheline ? Thanks

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Are michelins really that superior over other brands?
It depends on what you’re looking at. They are comparing two highway tires. My Yokohama winter tires hold up with Michelin and Bridgestone and cost way less. If you’re looking for an off road tire other brands are better.

It depends on what you’re looking for and the application.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you know the saying 'your mileage may vary'? Well...

My prior truck, 2005 F-250 came with a brand new set of Michelin A/T2's when I bought it. Older couple used it to tow their 5th wheel and had very recently replaced the tires. I noticed quickly they were very quiet on the road, and comfortable on the highway. They also wore very well, and would have lasted (tread depth) well past the 60 month suggested replacement. But...

They turned every boat ramp into a nightmare. They could barely get the truck up my driveway in rain, much less snow. They were easily the WORST tire I have ever had, because for my driving and environment, they were flat out dangerous. I ended up with commercial yokohama ATM's and they were amazing.

If I lived somewhere without winter, and did not pull a boat regularly up mossy ramps, I would probably be the entire drum section of the Michelin bandwagon...but I doubt I will ever even try their products again.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you know the saying 'your mileage may vary'? Well...

My prior truck, 2005 F-250 came with a brand new set of Michelin A/T2's when I bought it. Older couple used it to tow their 5th wheel and had very recently replaced the tires. I noticed quickly they were very quiet on the road, and comfortable on the highway. They also wore very well, and would have lasted (tread depth) well past the 60 month suggested replacement. But...

They turned every boat ramp into a nightmare. They could barely get the truck up my driveway in rain, much less snow. They were easily the WORST tire I have ever had, because for my driving and environment, they were flat out dangerous. I ended up with commercial yokohama ATM's and they were amazing.

If I lived somewhere without winter, and did not pull a boat regularly up mossy ramps, I would probably be the entire drum section of the Michelin bandwagon...but I doubt I will ever even try their products again.

Yeah, those don’t seem to be as popular as the defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Michelins years ago and would not say they are superior to any brand in particular , Hell they own BFG and look at their issues with some of their tires. Depends on what you truly want in a tire as to who makes the best in reality

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a 4x4 and your spending that much on tires you should get a BFG K/O or a cheap set of ten ply mud tires that are similar to the stock size. I usually spend $600 to $700 on a set and get about 50,000 miles from them. I spend 95% of my time on paved road and have no issues running M/T’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
If you have a 4x4 and your spending that much on tires you should get a BFG K/O or a cheap set of ten ply mud tires that are similar to the stock size. I usually spend $600 to $700 on a set and get about 50,000 miles from them. I spend 95% of my time on paved road and have no issues running M/T’s.

Thanks for the feedback and another way of looking at it.

How is the noise from the BFG K/O’s? Seems knobbier tire would have more road noise. But I have never owned a set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you wanna retain your stock ride and not make your truck ride like a tank, and even more so like a Sherman tank if you run them at the pressures BFG recommends you run them at, I’d avoid these at all costs, especially anything 10 ply for that matter, unless you plan to do a bunch of off-roading or driving in areas where you are having lots of flats. I like my BFG KO-2’s for their looks and for their capabilities but I damn sure don’t appreciate the ride. I dislike them so much on that fact that I’m heavily considering getting a new set of 6-ply anything and cutting my losses with these. Hopefully when I do, I can sell them for a decent amount of money.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback and another way of looking at it.

How is the noise from the BFG K/O’s? Seems knobbier tire would have more road noise. But I have never owned a set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The BFG’s are fairly quiet for what they are.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They BFG K/O s don’t make a lot of noise. I think tire noise comes from the void between the lugs.
Some of those street tires that they call all terrain make more noise than a mud tire.
The BFG K/O is a really good all around tire, It’s just a truck tire that does everything okay. Don’t think K/Os are mud tires that will cross a swamp or a car tire that will get 80,000 miles.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Falken makes a new all terrain tire that is supposed to be pretty good. I think it’s about the same price as a BFG.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2919.jpg

That’s the M/T I just put on mine. $700

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always get the 10ply tire for towing.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always get the 10ply tire for towing.

I know this will probably spark a debate but unless you’re towing with a HD, you really don’t need a 10 ply tire to tow with on a half ton. An 8 ply is more than plenty.