Michelin or Bridgestone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your probably right about only needing an 8 ply on a half ton. The 10ply tires seem to hold up better and I get more miles especially in the BFG tires. The only tires that I’ve ever had issues with failed on the sidewalls. I had two firestone M/T tires blow out on the sidewall within 20 miles. I was two states away from home and had to get towed to a Walmart so I could buy two little factory size tires because I couldn’t find any place with a set of 33’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve had expensive tires that sucked, I’ve had cheap tires that lasted for years. I buy mud tires because I like the way they look and I don’t want get stuck in a little mud hole. I don’t spend $1800 on them because they are likely to be garbage and they aren’t designed for mileage. The Michelin tire may ride smooth and probably won’t howl but it is just a better version of the stock tire and that stock tire is the cheapest piece of crap they could buy in bulk. If you want a mud tire buy a M/T. If you want I tire to get from point A to B try a set of the Michelin tires. The only real all terrain tire is the BFG K/O. Undisputed champ for at least 40 years! We all know this.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your probably right about only needing an 8 ply on a half ton. The 10ply tires seem to hold up better and I get more miles especially in the BFG tires. The only tires that I’ve ever had issues with failed on the sidewalls. I had two firestone M/T tires blow out on the sidewall within 20 miles. I was two states away from home and had to get towed to a Walmart so I could buy two little factory size tires because I couldn’t find any place with a set of 33’s.

For using a halfton, even an 8 ply tire is almost overkill unless you just absolutely need that extra piece of mind. When I moved to Oklahoma from Colorado almost 6 years ago, I pulled a fully loaded,
12-foot enclosed uhaul (or however long that longest, tandem axle enclosed trailer is they got) with my, at the time, new-to-me 2008 halfton that had the original SRA’s on it from the factory and they did just fine. That was just under an 800 mile trip and I wasn’t going slow. 75 to 80 all the way here except for the 2-lanes, I whoa’d her down to 70, 75.

Any tire is prone to failure at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m sure I’m abusing my trucks. I have two 4x4s and I use them for work on construction sites, hunting in LA and TX, hauling boats and utility trailers. I’ve had to haul loads that had the suspension and tires squatting. 10 ply tires are tough, they only cost about $10 to $20 more. I can’t prove it but I think I get more miles from the 10 ply mud tires and all terrain tires. I was getting about 35k miles out of 8 ply tires I get around 50k on the 10 ply. I’ve had two sets of BFG K/Os on my Chevy the 8 ply wore out under 40000miles. I replaced the 10 ply BFG K/O tires because they started to dry rot from being so old. I had about 50000 miles on the 10 ply set.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure I’m abusing my trucks. I have two 4x4s and I use them for work on construction sites, hunting in LA and TX, hauling boats and utility trailers. I’ve had to haul loads that had the suspension and tires squatting. 10 ply tires are tough, they only cost about $10 to $20 more. I can’t prove it but I think I get more miles from the 10 ply mud tires and all terrain tires. I was getting about 35k miles out of 8 ply tires I get around 50k on the 10 ply. I’ve had two sets of BFG K/Os on my Chevy the 8 ply wore out under 40000miles. I replaced the 10 ply BFG K/O tires because they started to dry rot from being so old. I had about 50000 miles on the 10 ply set.

You sound like a prime candidate to run the beefiest, heaviest tire out there....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Michelins.

My Son-in-Law is a Mechanic, at Firestone, so I can get their tires at cost.
I still buy Michelin's.

Been running them for last couple of decades.

Had a Tire leaking air. Took it in, said it was non repairable and road hazard would fix it. Asked them If I would need to upgrade all four, to get tread wear match. Guy said, nope, within not enough tread wear difference to fool with....this on tires that had 40K miles on them.

I am a Railroad Engineer. Drive my truck through Railroad Yards, over all manner of things. Never changed a flat.(COurse,now that I bragged . . . )

UPDATE:
Just bought a new set of Michelins, today.
Posted on it, in another thread but figured to update this one.

I got 90K miles out off that set of Michelin's.

The tire I talk about here?
One with the slow leak that had to be replaced?
It had over 7/32nds tread left and had 49,071 miles on it.
49K miles, on a70K miles tire!
less than 5/32nds used. at 49K miles.
That's about 109K miles per 32nd of tread.

oh, yeah, my trucks got a 3:92 POSI rear end.
Take that as you will.
Thing will flat out light them up, with Traction Control off.

Think my S.I.L might be upset.
He had literally just changed my oil, at Firestone
and they did give me a terrific price but
... they ain't Michelin's.

Michelin were not THAT much more, even after the Double Rabbi Discount
and, for me, well worth every damn penny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca