Microchip Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
May 06, 2021 04:14 AM Automotive News, which is a monthly paper

This applies to 4th & 5th Gen Rams

Ram no longer offers its 1500 pickups with a standard "intelligent" rearview mirror that monitors for blind spots

Mark Liu, chairman of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., cautioned the crisis is far from over.
They will begin to meet auto clients' minimum requirements by June, but expects the car-chip shortages could last until early 2022

Stellantis has modified the Ram 1500 pickup so that the digital rearview mirror that usually comes standard is now available only as an upgrade option, according to a person familiar with the matter. The manufacturer is also using parts that do not require chips from its more basic Ram Classic truck to keep the pricier version moving down the assembly line.

"Given the fluid nature of this complex issue, Stellantis employees across the enterprise are finding creative solutions every day to minimize the impact to our vehicles so we can build the most in-demand products as possible," spokeswoman Jodi Tinson said in an email.

Automakers and suppliers can accept whatever chips are available and rewrite the software to give them a new task, said Sig Huber, a consultant at Conway MacKenzie and a former head of purchasing at Fiat Chrysler. Tesla said last week it alleviated issues by reaching out to new semiconductor suppliers and then quickly writing new firmware for those chips.

Stellantis is working on more standardization across its vehicle lineup rather than having to use specific chips for some models, CFO Richard Palmer said on a call with reporters this week.

"More standardization and flexibility, which is key when we have supply constraints," he said. "We are managing scarcity."

Automakers are also stocking incomplete cars, or "building shy" in industry parlance, to keep production lines humming.

Legal means:
Meanwhile, behind the scenes, suppliers are going to unusual lengths to try to secure chips. A Stellantis partner called JVIS-USA LLC tried to sue NXP in a Michigan court in April in an attempt to get more chips, but a judge rejected its request.

This all started because auto makers did not think that people would buy new vehicles during the Covid lock down. So they did not order enough chips.

Stay healthy my friends

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure managing a supply chain for vehicle manufacture is nuts... I remember hearing an anecdote that a 1 hour delay on a F150 assembly line can cause an all day traffic jam a state away because trains might not be able to unload. Not sure how much truth there is in that but it sounds plausible given the insane rate of production for those vehicles.

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Have you ever watched the vehicle loading or unloading of the Freight cars?

They are hustling when the get out of a loaded vehicle, there is a passenger van standing by to haul them back to get more vehicles.

You will like this video, they unload several Autoracks at the same time, the rail cars are still connected together & they put ramps between the railcars

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This video shows them loading vehicles & driving them through all the freight cars, until they stop to tie them down

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully early 2022 it ends. My wifes lease is up and I want to order a new Challenger.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
We built cars for decades without the "Chips" ! We need stop relying on China , and to stop enriching them ! The Chinese are building for war , and we need to put the brakes on it !

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
How far back in time do you think we should go
I think Grand dad still has some machinery with Crank type Starters
you turn the ignition on, set the Magneto & insert the crank into crankshaft & rotate the shaft until either it Starts or you dislocate your shoulder.

I say No Thanks, i like a bit of progress