More than a key fob battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
limechallenger

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 4x4 Sport regular cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found something that may or may not work

It can't hurt to try it

How to Troubleshoot the Keyless Entry on a Dodge Ram 1500
BY MATTHEW FORTUNA

A popular standard and aftermarket option on the Dodge Ram 1500, the keyless entry system allows easy controlling of the car's doors, locks, trunk, panic alarm and often its automatic starting. The controllers for the Dodge Ram 1500 can stop working if too old or handled too roughly, but the problems can easily be fixed with a simple troubleshoot. Programming the keyless entry remote on your Dodge Ram 1500 will allow you to bypass the fee of getting it fixed by a mechanic.

Step 1

Enter your Dodge Ram 1500, and close the doors and trunk of your vehicle.

Step 2
Insert your Dodge Ram 1500 key into your car's ignition and click the key to the "On" position.

Step 3
Turn the dome light in your truck on and off three times in quick succession.

Step 4
Turn your key in the ignition back to the "Off" position. Complete Steps 2 through 4 within five seconds.

Remove your key from your Dodge Ram 1500's ignition and test the remote to see if the troubleshooting was successful.
So ,thanks for the tip ,but unfortunately I do not have that type of key fob!

OP
OP
limechallenger

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems to me you have the wrong fobs. Did you purchase the RAM new or used? If used, then the fobs are aftermarket.
Over time the fob contacts wear and will not make contact. Replacing with new batteries is not the solution as you have found.
Best to purchase OEM replacement like the above thread suggest and you should be good to go after programming at a reliable keysmith.
The fobs I have are factory original and I just started having problems! Thanks!

OP
OP
limechallenger

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hopefully you won't have to do that every couple weeks, but if you do, that information might help you find out what needs replacing. Have you tried using a scanner to see if it's throwing any codes? Might be something to look at if it does it again.
So , I disconnected the battery in the truck and it worked for a couple days, but now it shows "KEY FOB NOT DETECTED " ! I was hoping someone from customer care might chime in to help out!

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Seems to me you have the wrong fobs. Did you purchase the RAM new or used? If used, then the fobs are aftermarket.
Over time the fob contacts wear and will not make contact. Replacing with new batteries is not the solution as you have found.
Best to purchase OEM replacement like the above thread suggest and you should be good to go after programming at a reliable keysmith.

those are the OEM fobs. I have the same ones for my ‘14 Longhorn and I have recently in just the past few months started experiencing the EXACT SAME PROBLEM that the OP is talking about. It started very soon after I had the FOB batteries changed. Coincidence ? I will try the battery disconnect when I get home from vacation !!!!

aux576

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just because you took the battery of of the package doesn't mean it is a good battery. A new battery should read 3.4 to 3.5 volts, on your particular remote I recommend to my customers that they replace the battery at 3.2 or below. Reading your posts, it appears you may have issues in your vehicle that are not going to get any better only worse.
Check for full battery voltage in your fob, if it is below 3.2 volts replace with a good battery, there is a slim chance your fob is on its way out but if both fobs are doing the same thing chances are the problem is in the vehicle.
I'm a locksmith and I deal with these things on a daily basis, more times than not the problem is the customer bought a weak "new" battery.

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I originally had this post in Electronics and never received a response, si figured I'd try it here! So I've got a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi ,I've been having issues with my key fob! Over the last winter I lost the remote start capability. It would work every once in a while, but it took 3 or 4 attempts for it to work. Replaced the battery in the fob , but problem remained. Now I get in the truck and it shows" no key fob detected "! I replaced the key fob battery again and it helped for a day or two, but then again "no key fob detected". If I hold the fob right next to the start button ,it will start! It's obviously not the key fob because I've changed batteries and switched fobs. Any ideas what else it could be?
Thanks!

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
MY 2014 fob(s) say 2x on remote start button. You have to press twice to remote start. Horn beeps and starts right up.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
So , I disconnected the battery in the truck and it worked for a couple days, but now it shows "KEY FOB NOT DETECTED " ! I was hoping someone from customer care might chime in to help out!
Try to message them @RamCares

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LimeChallenger,

You posted an image
16218951817776934626997730830707-jpg.248533

That is a RKE, Remote Keyless Entry

Does your Ram Start when you use the RKE to push the Start Button, instead of using your finger tip ?

I will only make one suggestion
Never have both Remotes for your Ram within transmitting distance of the Ram when you are trying to remote Start it
You can confuse some electronic devices

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The part that you would insert a FOB into or Press your Finger Against is called the Ignition switch or Ignition Node or Module

It is a square black box or cube
You would access it by removing 2 screws in the knee panel under the steering wheel.

When you use the Remote to lock/unlock/Start your vehicle,
Your FOB or RKE transmits a signal to a box called RF Hub, it is mounted on the rear cab wall, on the drivers side, next to the cab vent.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I guess we all think that the battery in your remote device is always suspect when you truck will not start.

Just for grins, if you have the RKE type Remote

Unlock your Ram & open the door
Now take your RKE type Remote apart & remove the battery, set it on a work bench or something.
Re-assemble the Remote without the battery.

( I don't know if this next step is necessary )

Climb into your Ram & step on the brake pedal & touch the RKE against the ignition switch, as if using your finger to Start it

The Ram should Start without any battery being in the RKE

In this case, you are not using your RKE to transmit through the RF Hub

2names

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been having similar issues with my remotes starting few months back. I noticed that when I took the internals out of the housing and tried pressing on the corner of the battery the remote start would work. I think there is a problem with the connection which leads to all these problems. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem OP, and it's frustrating reading through some of these comments by I'm sure well meaning posters being almost condescending arguing about what type of remote you have and terminology as that may be the source of your problem.

I believe mine started having issues when I replaced the battery, but I can't be sure of that being the exact trigger. Remote start for me doesn't work 99.9% of the time with the factory touch and go system. Everything else works 100% of the time. Only one of the factory keyless remotes has remote start so I can't be sure it's not the fob, but very rarely it will work like nothing is wrong. I've done the battery reset and no change.

Sorry this isn't helpful, but you aren't the only one.

OP
OP
limechallenger

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the same problem OP, and it's frustrating reading through some of these comments by I'm sure well meaning posters being almost condescending arguing about what type of remote you have and terminology as that may be the source of your problem.

I believe mine started having issues when I replaced the battery, but I can't be sure of that being the exact trigger. Remote start for me doesn't work 99.9% of the time with the factory touch and go system. Everything else works 100% of the time. Only one of the factory keyless remotes has remote start so I can't be sure it's not the fob, but very rarely it will work like nothing is wrong. I've done the battery reset and no change.

Sorry this isn't helpful, but you aren't the only one.

Agreed! Everyone seems to think my main problem is the remote start doesn't work all the time! That was just originally mentioned to give a background! My real problem is the " KEY FOB NOT DETECTED" issue. Thanks for all the advise ,but please read the whole post and respond if you have any pertinent advise!

Thanks again!

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed! Everyone seems to think my main problem is the remote start doesn't work all the time! That was just originally mentioned to give a background! My real problem is the " KEY FOB NOT DETECTED" issue. Thanks for all the advise ,but please read the whole post and respond if you have any pertinent advise!

Thanks again!

The other part I forgot to mention is sometimes I'll get the fob not detected message if I have too much stuff in the pocket with the keys, but sometimes the truck just doesn't seem to want to see the key no matter what I do, so there might be some weight to the rf receiver box having an issue theory, but I haven't looked too much in to it to see how much of a pain it would be to replace/reset whatever. I don't know if it would need programmed so I've been avoiding it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One of the reasons that everyone gets confused, is because
FCA has 2 types of Remote

FOB or FOBIK is inserted in the ignition switch

RKE, also called remote keyless entry & just above you just used a different name
Touch & Go
Heck, someone else may come up with another name.

When someone poses a question, when it comes to a remote, it has to be explained which type it is.

No one has said whether touching a Touch & Go Remote to the Ignition switch does anything.
Like does it start or does the instrument panel do anything.

This is not a Game Show
If you want an answer, you have to give some input

OP
OP
limechallenger

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok the truck is telling me "KEY FOB NOT DETECTED" so I assume from that it's called a KEY FOB! I understand the confusion , so that's why pictures were posted. I didn't intend to have this blow up into a big deal. I was just hoping someone who had a similar situation might be able to give some educated advise.

Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 2nd video that i posted was made by a mechanic that goes by MotorCity Mechanic

He just showed how to hold the RKE pressed against the switch & mentioned that it could be used to get home or to a garage.

Usually he makes a video of what causes that
"KEY FOB NOT DETECTED" condition

I am surprised that no one had made a video showing the fix Yet

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the keyless one , same as limecharger, sport, I have has a problem once in a while. Hold it right at the door or the start button and try it.
I have taken mine apart a few times and cleaned it up with a fine tooth brush, just don't get the board wet, rubber , plastic parts you can use soap and water. Make sure everything is dry before installing the battery, and battery connections is usually the problem, a rubber pencil eraser works good to polish them up, fingerprints , oil on the battery is not good.
This does not really answer the question, but I have had the fob not detected, some times in the off side pocket, If I put it in the pocket closest to the truck it will work ( to open the doors)
I have keyless doors as well.
The owners manual tells you about holding up to the start button , with a dead battery.
I have never done any thing to the truck itself, so no help on that, Sorry.

Last edited: