Morimoto wiring harness question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The instructions for the installation of the Morimoto headlights for trucks that have projector stock call to remove part of the wiring harness, as it is wired by default to go into a truck with reflector housings (see below).

8E661971-8DB8-489E-9F43-936B0D2FDDCC.jpeg

My question is, how functional is the wiring that gets removed? If I’m not mistaken, that wiring looks suspiciously like a wiring harness that will convert a truck’s reflector wiring to a projector headlight. When I go to sell my projector headlights, can I say that I can include a harness with them that will allow them to wire right up to a truck with reflector headlight? It looks suspiciously like the harness offered by the retro shop and others, but that harness looks like it needs a 12V power source for some reason, and the Morimoto harness doesn’t. Thoughts?

1743C274-B438-4F16-BD82-B454AB2696A5.png

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The instructions for the installation of the Morimoto headlights for trucks that have projector stock call to remove part of the wiring harness, as it is wired by default to go into a truck with reflector housings (see below).

View attachment 236974

My question is, how functional is the wiring that gets removed? If I’m not mistaken, that wiring looks suspiciously like a wiring harness that will convert a truck’s reflector wiring to a projector headlight. When I go to sell my projector headlights, can I say that I can include a harness with them that will allow them to wire right up to a truck with reflector headlight? It looks suspiciously like the harness offered by the retro shop and others, but that harness looks like it needs a 12V power source for some reason, and the Morimoto harness doesn’t. Thoughts?

View attachment 236975
Good question, I'd say "probably?"...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Good question, I'd say "probably?"...

That’s what I’m thinking too, I just have no way to verify. I mean, the plugs are all the same, so as far as fitment goes, it *should* act as an adaptor to go from reflector to projector. My only concern is that the retro shop harness requires a power source, whereas the Morimoto doesn’t. Does the harness sold on this site require 12V power? The one sold by M2 Mods? @Mpgrimm2 and @DeereGuy , any thoughts?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I don't sell any headlight harnesses, but looking at the pictures for the Morimoto headlights ...
It looks like they build them for factory projector trucks (the 14pin projector connector carries several signals/power) and just use an add-on harness to convert them down to a quad headlamp truck system ... Which is the adapter harness they have you remove (keep it for resale later).

I wouldn't focus on differences between what they do with their custom headlight wiring and what Retroshop does... There are often different ways to get to the same outcome.

M² Mods.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don't sell any headlight harnesses, but looking at the pictures for the Morimoto headlights ...
It looks like they build them for factory projector trucks (the 14pin projector connector carries several signals/power) and just use an add-on harness to convert them down to a quad headlamp truck system ... Which is the adapter harness they have you remove (keep it for resale later).

I wouldn't focus on differences between what they do with their custom headlight wiring and what Retroshop does... There are often different ways to get to the same outcome.

M² Mods.
Gotcha, I could have sworn you guys made a conversion harness. Any thoughts on why the Retro Shop harness requires a 12V power source, what function that would serve? My fear is that the harness that is made by Morimoto that gets removed also needs 12V, but it grabs it from a splice in one of the plugs within the Morimoto headlight, which wouldn’t be provided when trying to use the harness as a stand-alone conversion harness, therefore not working in that manner. From a plug standpoint, it looks like a regular conversion harness, I’m just worried it won’t behave that way.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Gotcha, I could have sworn you guys made a conversion harness. Any thoughts on why the Retro Shop harness requires a 12V power source, what function that would serve? My fear is that the harness that is made by Morimoto that gets removed also needs 12V, but it grabs it from a splice in one of the plugs within the Morimoto headlight, which wouldn’t be provided when trying to use the harness as a stand-alone conversion harness, therefore not working in that manner. From a plug standpoint, it looks like a regular conversion harness, I’m just worried it won’t behave that way.
I bet if you called Retroshop Jeremy could answer that. He's a pretty nice guy and knows a lot about everyone's lighting options.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I bet if you called Retroshop Jeremy could answer that. He's a pretty nice guy and knows a lot about everyone's lighting options.

I would, but since it’s his harness I’m talking about, it’s kind of like me asking “hey, you make a great product, but can’t I just use this and sell it for the same amount you do and take some of your business away?” Kind of seems like a slap in the face to ask him. I did, however, shoot an email to Morimoto, I’m waiting on a response.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would, but since it’s his harness I’m talking about, it’s kind of like me asking “hey, you make a great product, but can’t I just use this and sell it for the same amount you do and take some of your business away?” Kind of seems like a slap in the face to ask him. I did, however, shoot an email to Morimoto, I’m waiting on a response.
Fair enough but i don't think he'd see it that way. Its not like you're making them to sell. You might even be selling a harness for him if your idea doesn't work out...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Thanks for looking at it that way.

* I actually get a ton of messages asking for detailed info on how to do various mods & upgrades that I do offer, which I'm happy to do (it's usually posted somewhere already). What's frustrating is when someone gets the info from me, still buys elsewhere, and then comes back via private message and wants support because they are left high and dry and won't post publicly about it (I still help if I can). Also had some folks (& companies) getting newer (8.4 & Hub adapter) harness versions from me on a regular basis only to use them and info I gave them so they can build their own, correctly, and sell 'kits' elsewhere ( because "it's just business" )

I may not get as much traffic here since you have to be a member to contact me/get a harness but this forum, members & admins were supportive in getting things started and I intend to return the favor by bringing membership/traffic here and posting what info I can to help (time permitting). Admittedly, this is more of a hobby and as long as I cover enough to pay various fees, tax man, but get badges for selling stuff, etc and a little to keep wife happy with the time all this takes I'm good.

Jeremy at the The Retroshop offers outstanding service and is not one of those people. I stay away from the headlights/harnesses because I like the analogy of not playing in someone else's sandbox.

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for looking at it that way.

* I actually get a ton of messages asking for detailed info on how to do various mods & upgrades that I do offer, which I'm happy to do. What's frustrating is when someone gets the info from me, still buys elsewhere, and then comes back via private message and wants support because they are left high and dry and won't post publicly about it. Also had some folks (& companies) getting newer 8.4 harness versions from me on a regular basis only to use them and info I gave them so they can build their own, correctly, and sell 'kits' elsewhere ( because "it's just business" )

I may not get as much traffic here since you have to be a member to contact me/get a harness but this forum, members & admins were supportive in getting things started and I intend to return the favor by bringing membership/traffic here and posting what info I can to help (time permitting).

Jeremy at the The Retroshop offers outstanding service and is not one of those people. I stay away from the headlights/harnesses because I like the analogy of not playing in someone else's sandbox.

M² Mods.
I am the sales manager of a car dealership, have been for years. On occasion we get someone that comes in after spending time with us picking out a car, working up numbers and then buying from someone else willing to cut my price who has questions about their car. As much as I want to tell them what hole they can shove their brand new car into, we help them. Things like that are in the forefront of my mind in situations like this. Asking the masses is one thing, but I think it would be inappropriate to go to Jeremy with this question because I’m essentially asking him if the next person to have my headlights can bypass him entirely. Even though I bought the Morimotos from him, I still wouldn’t feel right about it.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My son works in sales at a local dealer... Each time I've been in to buy something he told me, " I'm trying to sell you a car, not give you a car." Makes me laugh everytime.

M² Mods.
I’ve never heard that one before, I’ll have to remember that for my next customer!

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually asked Jeremy that question about the 12V connection not too long ago (I'm running his lights and have bought several adapters from him).

According to him, "some trucks had issues with some lights, so we moved to a different system to pull power from the battery with relays to run everything."

I'm still running the older version without that 12V connection (there have been several) and has been working fine for me, but I'm not sure if that's the same as what you'd have left over from your stock lights...

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I actually asked Jeremy that question about the 12V connection not too long ago (I'm running his lights and have bought several adapters from him).

According to him, "some trucks had issues with some lights, so we moved to a different system to pull power from the battery with relays to run everything."

I'm still running the older version without that 12V connection (there have been several) and has been working fine for me, but I'm not sure if that's the same as what you'd have left over from your stock lights...
That makes sense. So his harness grabs signals from the factory wiring, probably uses some kind of resistor to keep the system from realizing no headlights are on that circuit, then powers the new lights off the battery directly through relays. The Morimotos likely just act as a plug redirect. So the answer to my question is definitely maybe.