Multiple P Codes...Possible PCM? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have a 2003 ram 1500 with 5.7 L, I bought truck and had to rebuild engine. Truck sat for several months. After installing engine had a no start condition with no faults, put new crank sensor in and truck started but has delayed start and was coding P0335, drove for a few days then started coding for P0315, went to leave work on thurs and had no throttle response and the ETC light was on solid in the display, have codes P2166, P2167, P2116 and P2117...when I was troubleshooting the P0335 I noticed that I had 4.99 volts coming from PCM on the cam sensor signal wire. I'm pretty sure this is internal in PCM and now with the new codes being related to the PCM not remembering or learning the crank signal and the APPS position I am leaning towards replacing PCM. Anybody have any insite? Thanks

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome to the forum.
To help with your searches, you might try googling variations of "dodge ram p2117 dtc"

Looking at your codes it points at The APPS having issues. I would first check the battery and charge it overnight and then clean the terminals and chassis grounds. You might even run an additional ground wire from the PCM to TB to head and the to chassis ground. Check and clean the ckt connector. Let us know what you find..

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Thanks for the welcome. Well I have to say your not first that has mentioned the battery and grounds. I removed all grounds and cleaned all connections. The battery is old, do you recommend replacing it? What is the ckt connector? Thanks for the info.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks for the welcome. Well I have to say your not first that has mentioned the battery and grounds. I removed all grounds and cleaned all connections. The battery is old, do you recommend replacing it? What is the ckt connector? Thanks for the info.

I meant Crank sensor connector. But if your battery is old and I won't pretend to understand how a battery that test good doesn't work. but I highly recommend replacing it.

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Ok, that's what I thought you meant. I actually replaced the terminals in the crank sensor connector because I thought the old ones may be expanded a bit. I will replace the battery and add the additional ground from PCM to TB to head to chassis. I have read a few things on calibrating the APPS...is this something you are aware of and recommend trying after I replace the battery...Most things have said when you first turn on truck allow ten seconds then push accel. pedal slowly to floor and then let up slowly, then turn off truck and then turn on and start.

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Oh and I typed the wrong code in earlier, it was supposed to be p2115 not p2117.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Ok, that's what I thought you meant. I actually replaced the terminals in the crank sensor connector because I thought the old ones may be expanded a bit. I will replace the battery and add the additional ground from PCM to TB to head to chassis. I have read a few things on calibrating the APPS...is this something you are aware of and recommend trying after I replace the battery...Most things have said when you first turn on truck allow ten seconds then push accel. pedal slowly to floor and then let up slowly, then turn off truck and then turn on and start.

Any time the battery is disconnected the procedure should be turn the ignition key to the ON position, do not start. Wait 10 seconds and do not touch the throttle. Turn ignition OFF and then start normal. The procedure you are referencing is actually for the old diesel calibration. Funny thing, I just installed a BBK TB and the procedure they supplied was the old diesel calibration. That myth will not die...... lol

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
So I installed a new battery, ran four more grounds. Still same issue. Is there a way to get just the sensor instead of buying a complete APPS bell crank assy? I noticed it has a mercedes sign on it and when I look it up on ebay the sensor for mercedes is identical except for the connector. Then I noticed that the 5.9 l Cummins uses the same assy as the hemi...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I believe the APPS is sold as one unit. The 03 is the only year that used the remote APPS, you might be able to wire in a 04 APPS throttle unit. I haven't done the research.

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Yeah I cant stomach paying $400 for the whole damn thing when I'm inclined enough to replace the sensor, I may have to get a little creative. Trying to find one at a pull your own parts or salvage right now.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I hear that, I measured mine out last year and if I remember right there are two output voltages. 0-5 and 5-0. maybe pull it apart and clean the rheostats. Keep us posted..

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Help!!!!!!!!

So I replaced APPS assembly and it did not fix problem. Still have codes for APPS. Does anyone have any idea??? Desperate!! Heavily leaning towards PCM.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Have you replaced the TB? These are all expensive, but still not as expensive as a PCM. Unless you get a used one off of eBay which doesn't guarantee anything. Maybe time to go to find a shop with a good scanner. I hate dealers...

OP
OP
C

ChrisG1stHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I hate dealers too! I have not replaced TB, trying to find solid diagnosis before spending anymore dough.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
A friend recently bought a 03 PCM off of eBay I think for around $80 I bought one a few years ago and paid $100. Refurbished are around $200. I've have a used FastMan 85 I took off my truck recently if you're interested in it shoot me a PM.