My Dealership Today - Good, Bad, and Outstanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Okay, so I go in at 31500 miles on the odo to get the big look-over done, nose-to-tail. Came to $tons total for servicing all-round ( right down to cleaning/inspecting all sensors and the fuel injectors - I think the only thing they didn't do was swap the tranny fluid, since it's ZF). I figured with the B2B warranty running out, I'd give it a go... took the day off to do it.

The Dealership: St. Helens Auto Group, in Warren, Oregon. As a small rural dealership, they sell more trucks than anything else.

The good: In spite of having thieves stealing a vehicle (and an F-350's custom wheels) last night from the dealership, they handled the morning rush of customers, no sweat. They got all my stuff done in like 2.5 hours total.

The bad: one of the mechanics was a new guy, who didn't realize that if you're not careful with the seal on the 3.6 v6 oil filter, you'll break it. Neither he or I knew it was broken until 6 miles down the road (state highway), when I get a CEL, then suddenly my truck bellowed blue smoke everywhere behind me... I pulled over, got out (while the engine was still running - just long enough to quickly ensure that none of the smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe), and quickly popping the hood, I find that oil was spewing everywhere in the engine bay (and the cap was tight, so...)

The Outstanding: So I immediately haul ass back to the dealer. They drop everything to handle it - I mean everything - and get their top mechanic on it, as well as the kid who worked on it. Poor kid got a solid lesson about oil seals on the 3.6 Pentastar, and everyone, from him to the P&S manager, is personally apologizing like mad the whole time. They assured me (and showed me) that I still had the majority of my oil still in the engine. They then do a *complete* oil and filter change again (Synthetic, like before), then power-washed the engine bay until it was impeccable, then inspected/cleaned everything that they had so much as breathed on today... all while I watched from a distance (I didn't feel like hanging around the customer lounge anymore today). My filthy truck also wound up clean, top to bottom.

The TL;DR: I actually want to give mad props to these guys. For a small and often over-worked dealership (Their Service Department is almost always slammed), these guys do amazing stuff.

Am I mad? At first I was rather horrified (as in 'crap - my engine is about to explode!'), then I was momentarily miffed, but then...

...I've done maintenance for years before going white-collar. I know what it's like to screw up something due to some engineer who has never had to put up with the results of bad design (a small O-ring for an oil filter seal? Urgh). It happens.

These guys went way out of their way to remedy the situation. When they were done, it was like nothing ever happened. The only thing I lost was around 45 extra minutes or so.

Will I go back? Believe it or not, sure. I was that kid once, decades ago - as was everyone else who had ever turned a wrench, or wrangled a soldering iron, or swung a hammer. The look of horror on his face when he saw the engine bay, then the later look of intense concentration as the top mechanic showed him what he should have done (as I watched from a distance - he couldn't have seen me offhand), told me all that I needed to know about his dedication towards becoming better at what he does.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good on them for making things right for you, asap.
Good on you for remembering what its like when you're green to learn first hand. I surely believe that newbie tech will NEVER forget the lesson learned at your expense and how the facility handled the issue post haste!
I would go back, they know you and Im sure won't forget...lol

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Manned up - Stepped up - Made it right for you. Really don't know how anyone could have done any better. Now the young man has additional training and will NEVER make the same mistake ever again. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
:happy160:
Lee

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, so I go in at 31500 miles on the odo to get the big look-over done, nose-to-tail. Came to $tons total for servicing all-round ( right down to cleaning/inspecting all sensors and the fuel injectors - I think the only thing they didn't do was swap the tranny fluid, since it's ZF). I figured with the B2B warranty running out, I'd give it a go... took the day off to do it.

The Dealership: St. Helens Auto Group, in Warren, Oregon. As a small rural dealership, they sell more trucks than anything else.

The good: In spite of having thieves stealing a vehicle (and an F-350's custom wheels) last night from the dealership, they handled the morning rush of customers, no sweat. They got all my stuff done in like 2.5 hours total.

The bad: one of the mechanics was a new guy, who didn't realize that if you're not careful with the seal on the 3.6 v6 oil filter, you'll break it. Neither he or I knew it was broken until 6 miles down the road (state highway), when I get a CEL, then suddenly my truck bellowed blue smoke everywhere behind me... I pulled over, got out (while the engine was still running - just long enough to quickly ensure that none of the smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe), and quickly popping the hood, I find that oil was spewing everywhere in the engine bay (and the cap was tight, so...)

The Outstanding: So I immediately haul ass back to the dealer. They drop everything to handle it - I mean everything - and get their top mechanic on it, as well as the kid who worked on it. Poor kid got a solid lesson about oil seals on the 3.6 Pentastar, and everyone, from him to the P&S manager, is personally apologizing like mad the whole time. They assured me (and showed me) that I still had the majority of my oil still in the engine. They then do a *complete* oil and filter change again (Synthetic, like before), then power-washed the engine bay until it was impeccable, then inspected/cleaned everything that they had so much as breathed on today... all while I watched from a distance (I didn't feel like hanging around the customer lounge anymore today). My filthy truck also wound up clean, top to bottom.

The TL;DR: I actually want to give mad props to these guys. For a small and often over-worked dealership (Their Service Department is almost always slammed), these guys do amazing stuff.

Am I mad? At first I was rather horrified (as in 'crap - my engine is about to explode!'), then I was momentarily miffed, but then...

...I've done maintenance for years before going white-collar. I know what it's like to screw up something due to some engineer who has never had to put up with the results of bad design (a small O-ring for an oil filter seal? Urgh). It happens.

These guys went way out of their way to remedy the situation. When they were done, it was like nothing ever happened. The only thing I lost was around 45 extra minutes or so.

Will I go back? Believe it or not, sure. I was that kid once, decades ago - as was everyone else who had ever turned a wrench, or wrangled a soldering iron, or swung a hammer. The look of horror on his face when he saw the engine bay, then the later look of intense concentration as the top mechanic showed him what he should have done (as I watched from a distance - he couldn't have seen me offhand), told me all that I needed to know about his dedication towards becoming better at what he does.
You are to nice I would of gotten 3 free oil changes and complete detail done

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Thanks for the write up Random. I live across the river in Cathlamet and plan to use Longview, Wa as that's where I bought mine, but I run up hwy30 all the time to visit family in PDX so if I have any issues with Longview, I now know I have a backup plan.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
We were all that kid once upon a time. Good on you for remembering.

No Kidding.

Memories can be fallible but some things, like the brain dead stuff, tends to stick with you forever.

I have FAR more than my fair share of those Memories

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Hmm

more likely,Karma would Step in, bite you in the butt, your engine would have blown driving back to the service dept and the dealership would deny warranty for not stopping the car, immediately and call for a tow truck....But go ahead, Internet Warrior and tell us what YOU would have accomplished.

FYI, It's cute, listening to little kids telling their impossible Things.
Not so much with Internet Warriors.
Again, feel free, Have at it.
Be an Inspiration for all.
Or maybe a head shake and a chuckle

Where the heck is that Ignore Feature again . . . .

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Random- You did good.

I cringe every time I have any shop work on my vehicles, because you never know what you are going to get. They don't have the time and resources to take their time and they are always limited with parts to what they can get locally/quickly, so you don't know what you are getting.

A co-worker of mine with a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ pentastar not too long ago went through the same oil filter housing experience as you. He made it to work with the thing smoking like a tire fire. I dunno if the oil filter housing cap O-ring was missing all together, but the dealership that had just done the oil change on it sent a tech to our place of work to fix it. He then had to take it back in for a power wash, etc..

As much as I love my Pentastar, the oil filter housing is always going to scare the heck out of me. I will continue to do all my own OCs.

Jberg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When everything goes right, no one really takes notice.
When something goes wrong, someone is given the opportunity to show what they're made of.
What they do to make things right can earn your trust and respect for a lifetime.
Sadly, very few dealers think that way. Even though they screwed up, you're now a liability to them and they're likely to chase you away.
That's been my experience at Rockland CJD in Nanuet, NY.
On the other hand, Hudson Valley Harley Davidson, just across the street, has earned my eternal loyalty.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When everything goes right, no one really takes notice.
When something goes wrong, someone is given the opportunity to show what they're made of.
What they do to make things right can earn your trust and respect for a lifetime.
Sadly, very few dealers think that way. Even though they screwed up, you're now a liability to them and they're likely to chase you away.
That's been my experience at Rockland CJD in Nanuet, NY.
On the other hand, Hudson Valley Harley Davidson, just across the street, has earned my eternal loyalty.

Next time, try Warwick N.Y. CDJ.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Fuel injector service at 31k? Did they sell you some synthetic muffler bearings while they were in there?

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Dude, no.

It's not a question of being nice, it's a question of being a human being.

This is a little 7-bay service department at a little country dealership - they don't have those fat margins, slick showrooms, drop-dead-gorgeous sales-and-F&I chicks, and fat corporate bank accounts that you typically see in one of those Mega-automart dealerships sprawled out in suburbia.

They actually do go out of their way for you - doubly so if you're a local. They did everything I wanted to make things right, and I'm totally satisfied with that. They are, to me, a local business (30 miles from the driveway, true, but out here in the sticks, that's just barely on the edge of my 'neighborhood.' ) I know a lot of folks there on a first-name basis. So why would I go out of my way to screw them over?

When I get around to buying another truck, they're the first folks I'm going to go see (their prices really are that good for the area - I think only Longview, WA comes closer, but only because WA has sales/reg taxes to deal with, while OR does not)... so how do I want them to remember me when I roll up - as a decent guy who they want to build a long-term relationship with, or as that **** who screwed them over after a bout of threats and grievance-mongering?

One of those options won't help get me a sweet-assed deal when it comes time to knock that MSRP back down to Earth. It also won't help me much when I go shopping or eating or whatever in that town - you know, where their wives work the checkout counters, or their teenaged kids wait tables, or their brother pumps the gas, or their sister works the counter at the credit union branch, or their cousin does traffic patrol for the local police..?

I guess one can get away with being a hardass in the city, where you're just another easily-forgotten and anonymous face... but seriously, out here, it won't get you very far at all.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Fuel injector service at 31k? Did they sell you some synthetic muffler bearings while they were in there?

ROTFL... it was inexpensive enough, and I wanted everything, nose-to-tail.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dude, no.

This is a little 7-bay service department at a little country dealership - they don't have those fat margins, slick showrooms, drop-dead-gorgeous sales-and-F&I chicks, and fat corporate bank accounts that you typically see in one of those Mega-automart dealerships sprawled out in suburbia.

They actually do go out of their way for you - doubly so if you're a local. They did everything I wanted to make things right, and I'm totally satisfied with that. They are, to me, a local business (30 miles from the driveway, true, but out here in the sticks, that's just barely on the edge of my 'neighborhood.' ) I know a lot of folks there on a first-name basis. So why would I go out of my way to screw them over?

When I get around to buying another truck, they're the first folks I'm going to go see (their prices really are that good for the area - I think only Longview, WA comes closer, but only because WA has sales/reg taxes to deal with, while OR does not)... so how do I want them to remember me when I roll up - as a decent guy who they want to build a long-term relationship with, or as that **** who screwed them over after a bout of threats and grievance-mongering?

One of those options won't help get me a sweet-assed deal when it comes time to knock that MSRP back down to Earth. It also won't help me much when I go shopping or eating or whatever in that town - you know, where their wives work the checkout counters, or their teenaged kids wait tables, or their brother pumps the gas, or their sister works the counter at the credit union branch, or their cousin does traffic patrol for the local police..?

I guess one can get away with being a hardass in the city, where you're just another easily-forgotten and anonymous face... but seriously, out here, it won't get you very far at all.

Good on you RW. I agree you don't have to beat a company down just to prove a point or be a hard ass. They made it right and from what you say did it in a professional friendly manner. If I had a choice good professional friendly service that they back up is worth more than saving a few bucks. Regardless of being in the big city or out the country.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Dude, no.

^^^^ What he said. The fact that they bent over backwards goes a long way. Now if they were assholes about it, that's a different story. Keep in mind it's his truck service center. If it was his local heart bypass hospital I would have a different opinion....

:D

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude, no.

So they can afford to compensate this man for their actions its only fare >> and just to let you know my name is not DUDE