My oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just noticed the other day a droplet on my garage floor. I crawled under to investigate and it looks like my oil filter is covered pretty good in fresh oil. It's kinda hard to see up above it but I looks like there is oil above the filter too.

I can't tell if it's over spray or leaking from higher.

I'm curious what your guys readings are:

My operating temp is 159
Oil pressure Under acceleration: 54psi
Oil pressure without acceleration: 32psi

It's about 40ish degrees here.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Cold could have loosened or shrunk the gasket. Tighten and watch.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Clean everything up real good then check it out after a short drive or maybe even at idle.
Hopefully its just the filter like *** said.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just noticed the other day a droplet on my garage floor. I crawled under to investigate and it looks like my oil filter is covered pretty good in fresh oil. It's kinda hard to see up above it but I looks like there is oil above the filter too.

My operating temp is 159

Same issue I had last March. I was due for an oil change anyway, turned out the filter had loosened on its own. Never happened on any other vehicle I have had, but my Viper tech at my dealer says it does happen sometimes on the Hemi Rams.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If your oil filter is unscrewing itself, it wasn't put on tight enough. Go a good hand tight and don't use a wrench. Tight is good, too tight us broken (leaks). Been doing OCs on 3 or more veh. for 45 yrs and I never had a filter spin off. Hemis included.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping it just came loose...but this would certainly be a first vehicle for me that has ever happened.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

My operating temp is 159

My pressures are similar to yours.

About 52 psi under load, 30 psi, hot idle. Operating Temps vary, full hot in the summer I've seen 215 degrees engine coolant and in the 220s oil temp if I'm towing.

I hope your issue is just a loose filter. How many miles are on it?

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My pressures are similar to yours.

About 52 psi under load, 30 psi, hot idle. Operating Temps vary, full hot in the summer I've seen 215 degrees engine coolant and in the 220s oil temp if I'm towing.

I hope your issue is just a loose filter. How many miles are on it?

Thx for the numbers.

I'm just at 58k miles and it more or less gets babied. My 6.1 srt was bullet proof up until I got rid of it so I hope this isn't the beginning of issues with the 5.7.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soo...I crawled back under the truck and sure as ****...oil filter was loose.

I was able to give it a good 1/4 turn (by hand) to tighten it back up. I just don't know if that was enough of a difference for it to be leaking from the filter or not. Maybe the seal wore out? I am due for an oil change. Im gonna drive it around to see if it fixed it or not.

There were parts covered with oil under the truck that are not in line with where the leak was...which makes me think oil was possibly spewing out in different directions right at the filter seal?

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Soo...I crawled back under the truck and sure as ****...oil filter was loose.

I was able to give it a good 1/4 turn (by hand) to tighten it back up. I just don't know if that was enough of a difference for it to be leaking from the filter or not. Maybe the seal wore out? I am due for an oil change. Im gonna drive it around to see if it fixed it or not.

There were parts covered with oil under the truck that are not in line with where the leak was...which makes me think oil was possibly spewing out in different directions right at the filter seal?

It's the RedLine Oil that you use...It has too much Moly in it...When you dab your finger in the new oil to coat the rubber gasket on the new filter, the moly plates the gasket and doesn't allow it to seal completely, and eventually loosens and leaks....I suggest everyone who uses RedLine oil to stop what their doing today and immediately go crawl under their trucks and give the oil filter another 1/2 turn.........

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just came back from taking it out...

Both oil pressure rates under acceleration and without were increased by about 6-8 psi after being tightened.

Fingers crossed that was it. I'm gonna keep checking for drippage over time.