My Ram 1500 is the worst vehicle Ive purchased. (Power steering)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Alberta Ram FB Group is full of guys that had the POS electric steering rack fail when its -40 to -50 out for weeks on end along with the garbage air ride.

So all you guys that live in warm US states please stop saying how good your trucks are when you've never experienced -50

Nothing is designed to run at -58degF

I work at a cryogenic air seperation plant that is a nightmare to keep going at anything under 0degF. Cooling systems, lube systems, instrumentation freezes up.. It's kind of ironic producing products that are -320F, but the millions of dollars worth of equipment needed to do so gets all upset at 0F.

KingJ2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dill,
Why does the electric steering fail at -50. I don't know too many vehicles that will run at those temps unless you keep them running night and day. Or heated somehow.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what is happening when used prices are so high buyers are resorting to buying older units with hi mileage. Also, I dont think 2015 was the best year for these either. You will NOT win buying OPs problem vehicles like this. Either keep what you have, or better yet buy new. yes it'll cost you but as far as i'm concerned its MUCH easier to make higher payments than keep paying out the ying yang for broken parts and dealing with getting it fixed.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Figures it would be a Canada winter to find the flaw in something. I remember when I had a Toyota FJ Cruiser and reading about Toyota having to spec a lighter weight gear oil because the rear ends on them giving out on the Canada sold models due to their winters.

nsiddall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dunno. I got a 2012 1500 hemi i bought new that i put 250k on and the biggest repair ive done is the water pump. Shes not perfect but shes been good to me. Sorry bout your luck.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I saw plenty of used Rams with lows miles for sale when I was looking for a truck and had plenty to choose from before I bought my 2018 2500 so they are out there.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have owned the truck since 2018 and have performed regular maintenance. Are you saying I should let it be someone elses problem?
I think he's saying you bought a 2015 truck in 2018, and you have no idea what the previous owner did to it. So you bought the previous owners problems.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not just a few guys on FB complaining: there is a class-action lawsuit filed about it in Alberta :

I live in Canada and have had 3 RAM's with air suspension, a 2013, 2017 and now my 2020 and have had no problems with it ... I don't go off roading or into the back woods, and my driving is mainly on paved city roads and highways ... Since I don't know the driving habits of others, my suggestion would be to stay away from air suspension if you are using your truck for off roading of any kind ... Maybe that's where the problem lies ... I also know the guy who bought my 2013 RAM after I traded it in, and and he is still driving it today ... I spoke to him about 8 months ago when we met at the local dealership (He was ordering new rims and tires as he was dropping to 18 inch wheels from the OEM 20 inch), and he has had no issues with that truck ...

mattwallace93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t have much to add, but I’m also told my rack and pinion need replaced on my 2016 Ram 1500. Steering is difficult and the steering wheel doesn’t go back to center without force. Told it was a $3000 repair and I simply can’t afford it. So I’m stuck here with no solution.

Mark DeRoncey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
131k k/m your truck is almost ready for a bunch of services. It happens when buying a used truck with that many miles. Your buying someone else's problems.
That is only 81k miles. It should not be having these kinds of problems if properly maintained as stated.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is only 81k miles. It should not be having these kinds of problems if properly maintained as stated.

i did the math. also stated he bought it used in 2018 and it is a 2015 that would say someone else owned it for 3 years before him. EVERY Car/truck will break down at some point some worse than others but to say this is the worst truck ever with 81k lmao.
every car and truck model they try to make the same but quality of parts could change a little and thus everyone has different experiences.
for all we know he is Austin powers and turns his truck around in tight spots every day. this would be torture on the steering box.

Okie345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Usually if you replace ball joints you replace tie rod ends at the same time. Balljoints and tie rod ends are wear items and are usually replaced around 100k miles. obviously what you do with your truck determines how long they last. The fuel sender issue is dodge, ford and Chevy. I know f150s have had problems with electric steering as well. it's reasonably new tech in trucks any ways so it doesn't suprise me.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had no issues with mine. You really don't know how the truck was treated in its first 7 years. They could have been rough miles. I sorry to hear that you have been having so much trouble. Hope it all works out for you.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Alberta Ram FB Group is full of guys that had the POS electric steering rack fail when its -40 to -50 out for weeks on end along with the garbage air ride.
I solved both those issues. replacing the air ride with conventional springs and an aftermarket rear air bag setup for hauling. Replaced the EPS with a good old fashion hydraulic system.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So all you guys that live in warm US states please stop saying how good your trucks are when you've never experienced -50
I live in upstate NY. Had a 2018 Ram Rebel with air bags. The lines froze on the air bags. Ram said it always happens in colder climates. Traded it in for a 2021 Ram 1500 without air bags. But both engines ticked. Changing the oil using Redline 5W30 and Royal Purple filter extra large. A lot of guys swear by this combination.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Both 2012
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins 6.7
Wow my 1500 is 10 years old this year, 269000 kms just normal maintenance and oil changes, changed the front cv axles once, and it's still runs an looks like new.. jezzz you must beat your ride pretty hard dude... ✌️

Dannyb3051

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Maybe you should consider moving? Or stick to snow mobiles? We southern owners love our trucks in our warm weather!

omac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your issues. Unfortunately you got a truck that was more than likely abused by the previous owner then cleaned up by the dealer trying make it look like something it wasn't, a well maintained truck. I've owned my 2013 1500 crew cab Laramie with no problems. My truck still looks new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500