My Ram 1500 is the worst vehicle Ive purchased. (Power steering)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish it was as easy as just "trade it in". Used vehicles are still limited and the stock that is available is extremely overpriced and new is not in the budget. I still have just over 2 years of payments on the truck and 22.5 years on the house.

Last edited:

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish it was as easy as just "trade it in". Used vehicles are still limited and the stock that is available is extremely overpriced and new is not in the budget. I still have just over 2 years of payments on the truck and 22.5 years on the house.

It is that easy to trade it in. You might not get the vehicle you really want to drive but you could have a reliable set of wheels. Times are rough and we still haven't hit rock bottom yet. You can get a new kia for pretty resealable price.

KingJ2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From Invictus LLP:

The claim alleges that the Defendants knew about this issue, but given that it would only trigger in colder climates, the economics of fixing the problem for all vehicles resulted in a decision being made to do repairs or warranty work, on a one by one failure basis. In making that decision, the Defendants did not bother to try to correct the manufacturing defect in the product, nor to direct increased production of the defective parts.

The Pinto argument.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you I've been keeping an eye on 2015 parts but they only have return and rebuild. I will have a look at the 2018 models.
It's going to be the same selection of parts.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension is a huge no no here in Canada. Unless you're living on the West coast it is constantly broken. A friend has a Rebel and has had it repaired numerous times before trading it in for something else.
I live in Ontario and have had no air suspension issues with any of my 3 Ram's ... As I said in my other post, my driving is usually around town or highway ... I don't go off roading or carry heavy loads, and the only towing I have done is with a 19' boat ... Perhaps your friends driving habits differ from mine ...

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Ontario and have had no air suspension issues with any of my 3 Ram's ... As I said in my other post, my driving is usually around town or highway ... I don't go off roading or carry heavy loads, and the only towing I have done is with a 19' boat ... Perhaps your friends driving habits differ from mine ...
Depending where you live in Ontario winter weather may be significantly different than Saskatchewan winter weather. We get all the Colorado lows blowing through.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending where you live in Ontario winter weather may be significantly different than Saskatchewan winter weather. We get all the Colorado lows blowing through.
I'm in eastern Ontario about an hour and a half west of Ottawa ... we get the Colorado low's coming in as well, that swing over the great lakes, the temperature can drop into the minus 30's, and we can get enough snow in one dumping where you have to dig out just to get the vehicle door opened ...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
-30 thats cute... lol... We get that in April in Berta. ;)

But in all seriousness you don't get the same weather as us at all. Out here Air rides are ripped off as soon as the truck are out of warrenty.

VictoryLapMB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had quite a bit done on my truck both front cv axles, upper ball joints and lower, both front bearings and sway bar links. Probably more I'm forgetting and I've never expected to get all that done after owning it about a year and half. Now like yours my electric power steering is out.

FireResQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happened to me too! 2013 1500 with 62k miles. It failed during a turn, thankfully no one was on the other lane.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Happened to me too! 2013 1500 with 62k miles. It failed during a turn, thankfully no one was on the other lane.
If it fails can you still manually steer

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To be honest... it could be that the truck was abused before you bought it. In 2016 I bought a 2012 2500 with only 50k miles on it. Truck looked brand new. Until I got home and took the plastic bed liner out and saw literal holes punched in the floor where things had been thrown in it and almost no paint left in the bed. I then realized it was a work truck that a dealer slapped some lipstick on. Shiny new wheels and tires, leveling kit, etc... Made it look amazing. By 60k miles I had to rebuild the entire front end, had to replace shocks all around, found that a cab corner was full of body filler and had been repainted, etc... I did some research and found out that it was used in an oil field out in Texas. They beat that truck to death and then sold it. But once I worked out the kinks, it was a solid truck. Just cost me some money.

In 2019 I bought a 2016 3500 and at 128k miles I had never touched the front end and everything was original. It spent most of it's time hauling a 15k fifth wheel trailer as well. But, I carefully researched it, met the original owner, had the full service history, etc.... He meticulously maintained the truck as I always do. Best truck I ever owned.

I'm not saying this is your issue, but I'll say that it could be possible that the owner previous to you may have abused the truck. I spent the time to research my current truck in my sig before buying it. Found the previous owner and he provided me with every service record (and every receipt, down to changing a light bulb) from brand new. I don't anticipate any issues with this 2018.

Sorry about your luck.... been there. But after owning every other brand of truck I'll say the Ram has been the most reliable truck I've owned. If you really like it, I might suggest spending as much time as you can crawling around every nook and cranny and looking for issues. Fix them and you may still have a solid truck. Or... dump it and look for one that you can verify was maintained.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank