My Ram 1500 is the worst vehicle Ive purchased. (Power steering)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking about the cold weather electric steering issue. My guess is just not enough electric power to move the motor at those temps. Battery probably needs to be warmed up. Perhaps an external booster setup to make sure the steering is getting enough power when its cold.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ball joints and axles sound like big wide negative offset wheels, previous lift or poor alignment (perhaps, pure conjecture).

If you know how to do the work yourself, yu can completely rebuild your entire suspension (every bushing, every conrol arm) with all new moog parts, bilstein 5100 shocks, hellwig rear sway bar and rear LCA's from freedom offroad as 100k preventative maintenance for around $1500. The rear sway bar and shocks were probably half of that cost.

Could be an easy way to eliminate any future issues. Outside of that the only thing I've had happen with my ram is broken exhaust bolts that the dealer replaced even though I was out of warranty.

Hope this helps.

James

Last edited:

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DM1204...when buying a used vehicle you can't possibly know how it was used and abused. 131k I think you can expect a few problems.

Hemi-Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every make and model have their flaws. I have owned a few half ton 4WD Rams, despite the fact that I am really a Ford guy. I do not believe there is a better value in a half ton truck than a Ram. Stylistically, and in terms of power and appointments, they are a hell of a package.

My '14 QC Express 4WD only has 42K miles on it. I bought it off a lease program 5 years ago with 24k miles; immaculate, and not a single ding or scratch in it. Compared to other local trucks I looked at, it appeared it was never run in the winter months (it was only 3 years old at the time), but other used trucks I looked at were CRUSTY underneath! I have never run the truck in the winter months either, and yet the driver's fender developed rot holes in the middle of the fender last summer. I guess because I wash it too much, and the water got behind the insulation strip on the backside of the fender. Ram said to pound sand. Almost $2K for a fender and blend job later...

I did a 3.92 gear conversion this past winter. While disassembling the front, I found the UBJ's were junk, which I had already anticipated. This truck has never been off the road. Neither was my last Ram that I bought with 8K miles on it; that one needed ball joints at 35K miles as well.

Despite these charms of Ram ownership, I still think they are a great truck. I have friends and family with GM, Toyota, and Ford trucks; I would not trade their issues for mine.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing is designed to run at -58degF

I work at a cryogenic air seperation plant that is a nightmare to keep going at anything under 0degF. Cooling systems, lube systems, instrumentation freezes up.. It's kind of ironic producing products that are -320F, but the millions of dollars worth of equipment needed to do so gets all upset at 0F.
I wanna hear more about this job this sounds really cool

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fwiw, it pays to research compatible oem part numbers. Not sure why the following rack isn't listed for earlier models, but is for a 2018. But if you compare and cross reference part numbers, it should fit.
View attachment 489994
View attachment 489995
Thank you I've been keeping an eye on 2015 parts but they only have return and rebuild. I will have a look at the 2018 models.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 14 sport, mind you low mileage compared to yours, but I have not had any problems, though I am going to check the brakes as they are starting to feel a bit soft 75000Km , I Swift Current Sk. Ca. Those prices listed will be US prices? Canada is usually quite a bit higher prices.
That is correct. I also live in Sk Canada.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi. I've collected that you have 131,000 kilometers or approximately 81,400 miles on your truck, you bought it in 2018, and it is a 2015 model year. I'd be disappointed too, having these issues just 3 years after buying, but if I'm understanding correctly, you bought it used - I didn't catch how many miles were on it when you acquired in 2018. It's certainly not a new truck. In my opinion (and could probably be verified with some data), I'd say the RAM trucks (certainly 2015 and newer) have been above average in terms of reliability (compared to other trucks) - and most (the vast majority) of RAM owners really seem to LOVE-LOVE-LOVE their trucks. Is it possible that this was a work truck for someone before you acquired?? Maybe used at construction sites - repeatedly driving over very rough terrain? Maybe doing a lot of hauling? Something happened that prematurely wore the axles, steering, etc. Or maybe someone just beat the crap out of it - and thought that they'd get rid of it before problems start popping up. I always consider the history of a used vehicle before I buy one (was it leased, a rental, any accidents, how many owners, etc.) You still should be able to get that info, but you also might consider a full vehicle inspection by a trusted mechanic or shop, to determine if there are other signs pointing to additional significant components needing repair and/or replacing in the near future. Based on that outcome decide whether or not it's worth it to keep the truck. (Yes, unfortunately bad things do happen) The one thing you didn't mention (which is great) is the hemi tick. Make sure someone listens closely to your engine - which if tick is present, COULD be but NOT NECESSARILY be exhaust manifold bolts and/or (much worse) cam/lifters. Based on oil change frequency, type of oil, filter, idling hours, etc., anything that is less than ideal care, could cause that hemi tick issue. On the other hand, if you made it to 81.4k miles and no tick, that *could* be a good sign. It's kind of a crap shoot, but that diagnosis will further upset you if you spend money to fix current problems and then have to deal with that. You may also make a list all of the good things about the truck, things that you like, things that make you happy. If it's a short list, well then maybe it is time to chalk this one up to experience, sell it, and not have to spend too much time/effort/worry. One of these years the CyberTruck will be out - maybe that's your ticket :):cool:!! I personally have driven RAM 1500's for years as rentals through my job, and finally bought a 2020. I'm one of the folks who really just LOVES my vehicle. I'm sorry for your troubles and hope you find a great solution. Keep in mind, it's just a vehicle, and yes, they cost a lot of money, but it's not a person - keep things in perspective and enjoy what you can in life. Oh, and if you do keep it, read the oil/filter threads and DON'T take the approach of saving money by buying the cheapest oil and filter. Buy the BEST oil and filter that you can afford and change your oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Who cares if you can go 8,000 or more? Change the frickin oil - like your engine depends on it - BECAUSE IT DOES.
Best Regards.
John
Hi thanks for your reply. Truck had just over 74,000 km when I purchased it in 2018. No Hemi tick yet... the one thing that hasn't happened to this truck. It is currently sitting in my driveway collecting dust as the 4x4 is also not working either.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dill,
Why does the electric steering fail at -50. I don't know too many vehicles that will run at those temps unless you keep them running night and day. Or heated somehow.
Block heater cords are essential all Winter long. -50 Celsius isn't normal but it does happen for 2-3 days of the year. A more normal with windchill would be -30's Celsius I'd say.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Canada and have had 3 RAM's with air suspension, a 2013, 2017 and now my 2020 and have had no problems with it ... I don't go off roading or into the back woods, and my driving is mainly on paved city roads and highways ... Since I don't know the driving habits of others, my suggestion would be to stay away from air suspension if you are using your truck for off roading of any kind ... Maybe that's where the problem lies ... I also know the guy who bought my 2013 RAM after I traded it in, and and he is still driving it today ... I spoke to him about 8 months ago when we met at the local dealership (He was ordering new rims and tires as he was dropping to 18 inch wheels from the OEM 20 inch), and he has had no issues with that truck ...
Air suspension is a huge no no here in Canada. Unless you're living on the West coast it is constantly broken. A friend has a Rebel and has had it repaired numerous times before trading it in for something else.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i did the math. also stated he bought it used in 2018 and it is a 2015 that would say someone else owned it for 3 years before him. EVERY Car/truck will break down at some point some worse than others but to say this is the worst truck ever with 81k lmao.
every car and truck model they try to make the same but quality of parts could change a little and thus everyone has different experiences.
for all we know he is Austin powers and turns his truck around in tight spots every day. this would be torture on the steering box.
I can tell you I am no man of mystery. Only a man of no money. Ram's = $$$$$

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ball joints and axles sound like big wide negative offset wheels, previous lift or poor alignment (perhaps, pure conjecture).

If you know how to do the work yourself, yu can completely rebuild your entire suspension (every bushing, every conrol arm) with all new moog parts, bilstein 5100 shocks, hellwig rear sway bar and rear LCA's from freedom offroad as 100k preventative maintenance for around $1500. The rear sway bar and shocks were probably half of that cost.

Could be an easy way to eliminate any future issues. Outside of that the only thing I've had happen with my ram is broken exhaust bolts that the dealer replaced even though I was out of warranty.

Hope this helps.

James
Stock tires with no lift.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alberta Ram FB Group is full of guys that had the POS electric steering rack fail when its -40 to -50 out for weeks on end along with the garbage air ride.

So all you guys that live in warm US states please stop saying how good your trucks are when you've never experienced -50
Do you have a link to this group? I had someone contact me regarding a class action and would like to read more into it.

OP
OP
DM1204

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can tell you I am no man of mystery. Only a man of no money. Ram's = $$$$$

Every vehicle is $$$$ there is no such s thing as a cheap vehicle to repair. I own ford's chevy and ram they all cost the same to repair lol

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
One of the best used trucks I ever bought was a Chevy.
One of the worst used trucks I ever bought was a Chevy.

Used trucks are a gamble. Regardless of the brand.