My Ram is gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbruce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
E Since this is the only engine I have had for 14 years maybe it is a timing thing and not so much a hemi thing, all modern engine are government experiments. I wouldn't mind going back in time and getting me a 351w in a f body and never worrying about it again.
Hear that. And ..I have that 351w you are talking about in my garage. 11:1 compression. Ton of money in that thing. Never Dyno'd but builders estimated slightly over 400hp. Never have found the right chassis to put it in. So there sits $7,000. One day tho....

mxer201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
My favorite years are your brothers year for sure, 92-96 especially. I think it was 80 that went to smooth ttb suspension, cant say for sure. It's not my favorite feature, I found a work around it, I used poly axle bushings made them more stout. I like the direction ford took after 7 gen, but 7 gen started it.

I had a 93, 94, and a 95 bronco, they suited my lifestyle back then. I do have more use for a truck these days, and I still like those years ford as well, same platform. I digress, I do love my ram just not the hemi.
I had a 96 OJ White Bronco I sold early 2000s. Great vehicle but wished it had the 300 six or 351 instead of the 302.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahhh, the 300-Six ..the engine you just about can't kill:

1) My brother knew a guy who had been running a pickup with a 300 I-6 for years w/o any coolant in the system. Now, this was an older gentleman and his trips were mostly around town ..but he'd go to neighboring towns now and then. My brother gave him a price to fix it, but he didn't come back for another year or two...LOL. He didn't care it was dry. My brother said it was probably w/o coolant for years. He replaced most of the cooling system, plugs, etc.

2) We hired a young apprentice in 2010-ish. His previous job was he and another guy were the ones who would "kill" engines on vehicles traded in from the Cash-For-Clunkers program. Remember that? If you bought a more fuel efficient vehicle that met certain parameters, you could get a Gov't rebate (lets not debate that). The idea was to kick-start car sales/economy. Most of the vehicles traded in were older, high-mile worn-out pickups or larger SUV's (classic vehicles weren't part of the prog). I asked him what the hardest to kill engines were and he right away shot back, the Ford 300-six. He and his partner did the 'killing' out behind the dealership. He said they were never able to kill a single one of them! They poured in the plaster-like mix and would rev and rev it and they'd never die or even start smoking he said. :D Eventually they'd give up and just fill in the necessary paperwork that they completed the process. Hopefully the new Dodge/Chrysler I-6 will end up being that robust.

I once owned a GM I-6 in a mid/late 70's pickup with a manual trans, which was a lot stronger and smoother than people might think. A distant decendent of the Stove-bolt-six. One of the last yrs of their I-6's. I was impressed with it. That bugger was a real honey, esp with the manual. Lot of space in that engine bay. Yeah, a straight-6 with a manual is kind of a nice combo in a basic truck.

Last edited:

Mark Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sold my 2011 Ram 4wd truck.
Why you ask,
Well I bought it almost 6 years ago for 20k. It had 38k miles on it back them and I must say I loved driving this truck. It was a great driving truck, sharp design, burgundy paint and nice wheels. You sat up nice when driving and it gave me the feeling of security from an accident.
So why sell. Because the hemi motor is a disgrace to its family.
I've owned mopars for almost 50 years. This hemi was the biggest disappointment in all those years. At 64k miles it started throwing a misfire code. The long story short, the #3 exhaust roller lifter locked up and wiped the cam lobe. I did the work myself and parts were over $2500. The more I read about this issue that madder I got until last week I advertised it and it sold in 3 days.
The good news is I got $19,900 for it which may have been low or may have been right in line with todays prices but it did have 2 or 3 small dings. I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product. I still own a 66 Dart that is heavily modified and I was that pissed I considered selling it but then came to my senses.
During my repair there were a bunch of good people here that helped me get it back running and I want to say thank you all for the help. Hope no one ever has another issue with a hemi again but looking at the design I know better. Best of luck to all.
Rod
Go diesel

gfviperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just traded my 2011 HEMI RAM ... 128,000 miles. No issues.
Changed oil every 3-4,000 miles. Last two years sent oil samples to Brookstone labs in IN ... results were super ...1696263244611.png

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why you ask,
Well I bought it almost 6 years ago for 20k. It had 38k miles on it back them and I must say I loved driving this truck. It was a great driving truck, sharp design, burgundy paint and nice wheels. You sat up nice when driving and it gave me the feeling of security from an accident.
I've owned mopars for almost 50 years. This hemi was the biggest disappointment in all those years. At 64k miles it started throwing a misfire code. The long story short, the #3 exhaust roller lifter locked up and wiped the cam lobe. I did the work myself and parts were over $2500. The more I read about this issue that madder I got until last week I advertised it and it sold in 3 days.
The good news is I got $19,900 for it which may have been low or may have been right in line with todays prices but it did have 2 or 3 small dings. I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product. I still own a 66 Dart that is heavily modified and I was that pissed I considered selling it but then came to my senses.
During my repair there were a bunch of good people here that helped me get it back running and I want to say thank you all for the help. Hope no one ever has another issue with a hemi again but looking at the design I know better. Best of luck to all.
Rod
Well sori you feel hit on that way but.. have four Rams: 2004 Rumble Bee, 2012 quad cab, 2017 crew cab, 2022 crew cab non- e torq. Every one has far more mileage than yours: 128K, 94K, 68K, and 72K respectively. Sori number 3 ate up the cam but ya know there is NOT a single manufacturer out there that does have that happen to one of their cars/trucks. They make so damn many it is going to happen. You can minimize it maybe but never know. not thenRam’s fault, or the next one or the next but your favorite GMC or Chev, or Ford, or Tundra etc will eat itself up at 15K or some number. All you can do is treat’emnright, change oil,often - every 5K - and get good oil, Mobil 1, Penzoil, Castroal, etc, do not need to do the bs Red Line, Amsoil,and all those big fancy names you get to pay for. Guess you do not read about other motors and their problems, easier to get frustrated with this one. Oh well, good luck.
Why you ask,
Rod
j

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might I recommend converting to a REAL man's oil filter. Guarantee'd to keep lifter bearings 'clean' :):

84-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ixlib=php-3.3.jpg
actually I've heard they do a pretty good job...

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
I had an '07 GMC Acadia which was bought new. I loved the car for the family but the engine was replaced at 36,250 miles due to a piston skirt failure. Then two transmission before 75K. After that it became my ex's problem at that point. At least everything was covered under GM's warranty. I had other GM's that were great but after that I said never again...

I have my 2013 RAM (124K mi). I do have an issue with the radio not displaying the name of the radio station correctly but only one channel and I had to replaced an O2 sensor. My son needed a car and last year and he really want a truck. When I started looking, I was only looking at RAM's and Fords. I ended up with a 2011 RAM (127K mi) identical to mine. I had great history from the guy we bought it from. So I knew the service records. We did have the alternator go out. Ironically that was the last part the previous owner changed about 3 mos before we bought it. That was according to his records and the MOPAR remanufactured sticker on the alternator. I swapped it out with a new one and all has been good.
Last year, my mom needed something easier to get in and out of. She ultimately went with a 2021 Buick Enclave. Which I was not thrilled about after the Acadia... But so far with only 19K on the SUV, it drives very nice and she likes it.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Why you ask,
Rod
Rod, make your next Ram a Cummins. They are indestructible.

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 had the rear diff cap fall off on a move. Ruined h dif at 47,000 km. Replace after 2 months sitting at the dealership. Right when i got it back it made noise and 4 x 4 did too both whirred. They told me it was cupped tires and to keep driving on it. Rear diff blew again in 3 days. Repaired requiring 6 weeks sitting at dealership waiting for parts. I hear noise 2 weeks later. Mechanic again said its cupped tires.... Clear as day it was the same noise coming from the rear end. Dealership mechanic said he wouldnt look at it again until i changed my tires. Changed them and still the same noise. Immediately they diagnose 2 bad rear wheel bearings. 1 week waiting for parts. Then 200km later my ac starts hissing under the dashboard which would be a 2k repair not under warranty. So on total over about half a year my truck had close to 10k in warranty repairs at under 50,000 kms and all repairs within 500km of each other. My vehicle was also not driveablw for about 5 to 6 months where i was paying insurance to have it sit at the dealership waiting for parts so add another 1000$ in inaurance wasted onto that 10k in repairs. Add if i replaces the ac thats 13k in 6 months. I sold it to a wholesaler for 35k and will never buy another dodge or ram product. To add... my vehicle at starts and stops had a lag of 1 or 2 seconds as if the torque converter might have been wanting ro go. I had 10k left on warranty when i sold it but because ram has parts shortages it was not worth keeping the pile of junk becauaw ir required me having my other 2010 1 ton insured as a backup. 2019 ram warlocks are junk. I paid 47k after tax for it. Could you imagine paying 58k new b4 tax on one now then there is the depreciation of value at 40% after 3 years. I would buy a tacoma if i wasnt looking for a 1 ton as those are more reliable than north american junk.

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an '07 GMC Acadia which was bought new. I loved the car for the family but the engine was replaced at 36,250 miles due to a piston skirt failure. Then two transmission before 75K. After that it became my ex's problem at that point. At least everything was covered under GM's warranty. I had other GM's that were great but after that I said never again...

I have my 2013 RAM (124K mi). I do have an issue with the radio not displaying the name of the radio station correctly but only one channel and I had to replaced an O2 sensor. My son needed a car and last year and he really want a truck. When I started looking, I was only looking at RAM's and Fords. I ended up with a 2011 RAM (127K mi) identical to mine. I had great history from the guy we bought it from. So I knew the service records. We did have the alternator go out. Ironically that was the last part the previous owner changed about 3 mos before we bought it. That was according to his records and the MOPAR remanufactured sticker on the alternator. I swapped it out with a new one and all has been good.
Last year, my mom needed something easier to get in and out of. She ultimately went with a 2021 Buick Enclave. Which I was not thrilled about after the Acadia... But so far with only 19K on the SUV, it drives very nice and she likes it.
One ba thing i had with my 2019 ram 1500 is if you turned on the fog lights all radio stations went to static. What a pile of crap it was.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
One ba thing i had with my 2019 ram 1500 is if you turned on the fog lights all radio stations went to static. What a pile of crap it was.
So what are you driving now?

Gasshole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my truck in about a month ago for misfire on cylinder 8. Dealer first said top of motor needs to come off then upon further investigation whole new motor. 2015 Ram 2500 tradesman 6.4 hemi with 74k miles on it. Glad I bought the extended warranty as the price was $16,750.27 but only cost me $100 LOL. Not complaining just my experience with current truck. I’ve owned or leased about 10 1500’s in past 20 years not one issue.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Roger that, 7 gen f series pickups got an all new body some of the truck forums call f for fords new f series pickup body, f body. Perhaps they should have picked a different nick name as gm was first.
Got me wishing I still had my 68 Olds Cutlass Supreme Ragtop, lol.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, not have that issue with my 2019. Very Interesting (Artie Johnson)

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 had the rear diff cap fall off on a move. Ruined h dif at 47,000 km. Replace after 2 months sitting at the dealership. Right when i got it back it made noise and 4 x 4 did too both whirred. They told me it was cupped tires and to keep driving on it. Rear diff blew again in 3 days. Repaired requiring 6 weeks sitting at dealership waiting for parts. I hear noise 2 weeks later. Mechanic again said its cupped tires.... Clear as day it was the same noise coming from the rear end. Dealership mechanic said he wouldnt look at it again until i changed my tires. Changed them and still the same noise. Immediately they diagnose 2 bad rear wheel bearings. 1 week waiting for parts. Then 200km later my ac starts hissing under the dashboard which would be a 2k repair not under warranty. So on total over about half a year my truck had close to 10k in warranty repairs at under 50,000 kms and all repairs within 500km of each other. My vehicle was also not driveablw for about 5 to 6 months where i was paying insurance to have it sit at the dealership waiting for parts so add another 1000$ in inaurance wasted onto that 10k in repairs. Add if i replaces the ac thats 13k in 6 months. I sold it to a wholesaler for 35k and will never buy another dodge or ram product. To add... my vehicle at starts and stops had a lag of 1 or 2 seconds as if the torque converter might have been wanting ro go. I had 10k left on warranty when i sold it but because ram has parts shortages it was not worth keeping the pile of junk becauaw ir required me having my other 2010 1 ton insured as a backup. 2019 ram warlocks are junk. I paid 47k after tax for it. Could you imagine paying 58k new b4 tax on one now then there is the depreciation of value at 40% after 3 years. I would buy a tacoma if i wasnt looking for a 1 ton as those are more reliable than north american junk.
So you had a lemon and that makes them all junk… gottcha

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Why you ask,
Well I bought it almost 6 years ago for 20k. It had 38k miles on it back them and I must say I loved driving this truck....... I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product.
Couple of ideas, from a guy who trades trucks every 2 years for new ones.... Buy a Ford, and when you become so "impressed" by their legendary customer service, you'll never buy one of those again. Buy a Chevy...get the 5.3Lv8...If you think your Ram had lifter issues?? You'll love that fine product from GMC(garage mechanics companion). Or, you could get a Nissan Titan..No, wait, they sucked so bad they are no longer going to make them. Back to Ford, where sucking intake valves has become so common the NTSB is investigating it. Toyota? Great choice, if you can find one. And when you do, you'll pay out the nose for it. Oh yea, walk around back of the 'Yota dealer and take a look...See that service department? It's there because their stuff breaks, too. Morale of the story is this: The Hemi has inherent design issues that cause the lifter failures. They won't admit it, the faithful won't admit it, and all the oil/incense/prayers in the world won't change it, but it's there. Just don't expect some miracal in another brand.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It was due to the first year of the re-born Hemi that I had that broke a valve spring I dumped it and bought a Chevy.
Then when the Chevy crapped, I bought a Ram Cummins.