My Ram is gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 5.7 Hemi with 150K miles, everything works and runs great with no lifter noise.

fitzdicksn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
130K miles on my 2014 and I've been through two trannies and an engine. Luckily all under warranty but I get it, OP. I also have a Jeep Cherokee that blew the tranny at 61K (yes, just out of warrant but luckily I had an extended). I like a lot of things about Ram/Jeep vehicles but owning them without a warranty of some type isn't in my playbook for the foreseeable future.
For those of you bashing MOPARS, mind your manners. Mine are impressionable and they are listening!
2011 RAM 1500 Hemi 4 x 4 - 360,000 kms or 223,000 miles. Going in now for a rebuilt engine as just doing valve seats isn't worthwhile at this mileage.
2011 JEEP Patriot 4 x 4 - 455,000 kms or 282,000 miles - still running great and does 600 miles of commuting in the country every week. All original drivetrain
2006 JEEP Liberty CRD - young one in the family at 347,000 kms or 215,000 miles. Used daily. All original drivetrain
2004 JEEP Grand Cherokee 4 x 4 Inline six and 460,000 kms or 285,000 miles. All original drivetrain
1994 JEEP Grand Cherokee 4 x 4 Inline six and 478,000 kms or 296,000 miles. All original drivetrain. Compression rings are gone due to mechanic running it with no engine oil at 300,000 kms.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was due to the first year of the re-born Hemi that I had that broke a valve spring I dumped it and bought a Chevy.
Then when the Chevy crapped, I bought a Ram Cummins.
I would do Cummins in a heartbeat if I worked truck hard and towed a lot, instead of just a GG truck, why I got rid of my Gen 2 ED besides the mechanical challenges that was hitting the ED's, though TBH, my ED was flawless.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I would do Cummins in a heartbeat if I worked truck hard and towed a lot, instead of just a GG truck, why I got rid of my Gen 2 ED besides the mechanical challenges that was hitting the ED's, though TBH, my ED was flawless.
Those EcoDiesels need to be driven enough to get up to temperature or they will be nothing but problems.
My BIL has a Grand Cherokee. he only drives about 5 miles to work. The temp gauge barely moves, nothing but problems.
My wife's Grand Cherokee, 69,000 and nothing but a set of tires and oil and fuel filter changes. Most reliable vehicle she ever owned and that includes Hondas and Toyotas and Nissans.

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you had a lemon and that makes them all junk… gottcha
I have a 2010 ram 3500 larimae diesel. Ac isnt hissing under the dash like the 1500 but the door that directs ac and heat to passengers broke. Another common dodge problem. A 40$ part that is 1500 to 2k to repair because you have to remove the dash. Known problem for a decade. The heated seats stopped working and it had a transmission gasket leak. Battery drains in winter if you dont drive it every 2 days. The baxkup camera also went in and out for years but finally stopped working. Selling that too next summer. Like i said never a dodge guy now. They cost more in repairing parts than buying an suv with cheaper parts.

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, not have that issue with my 2019. Very Interesting (Artie Johnson)
Weird... it happened during my test drive of the truck at the dealership. I thought every dodge had that. I definitely bought a new pile of junk than. The weird part is it wouldnt effect serius xm but if i was on fm or am it would go to instant static. Made driving foggy nights suck when my serius trial ran out.

Last edited:

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what are you driving now?
I should add the 2010 ram 3500 larimae only has 134k km. Ill give it that it can tow my trailer. The hemi is overrated for towing. The thing sucks if you live in hilly bc canada. Towing my empty trailer home with the half ton felt very under powered from what i was lead to believe when i purchased it. The diesel can tow it well but electrical problems galore so selling it next summer once i pick up the rest of my belongings i left in storage when i moved. Pretty sure all trucks are 20 to 30k overpriced right now and i would rwther take my 40k for the truck and biy a cheap car and invest the rest until the market cools.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2010 ram 3500 larimae diesel. Ac isnt hissing under the dash like the 1500 but the door that directs ac and heat to passengers broke. Another common dodge problem. A 40$ part that is 1500 to 2k to repair because you have to remove the dash. Known problem for a decade. The heated seats stopped working and it had a transmission gasket leak. Battery drains in winter if you dont drive it every 2 days. The baxkup camera also went in and out for years but finally stopped working. Selling that too next summer. Like i said never a dodge guy now. They cost more in repairing parts than buying an suv with cheaper parts.
Those heater door problems go a lot farther back than 10 years.
I had a '85 that I bought new and after about 3years, the doors never worked right. Put it on vent and air came out the floor. Put on floor and air come out the defrost vents. Sometimes the doors wouldn't open all the way so get really weak air.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Government mileage mandates are the biggest part of the problem, at least in my opinion. Thinner oil to reduce resistance plays a big part in the engine issues. I had to have the cam and lifters replaced in my 2011 Sport at about 92,000 miles. I now have 162,000 miles on it and no issues. Maybe I don't drive mine as hard as others who have so many issues. Drive it hard, expect some problems.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I don't drive mine as hard as others who have so many issues. Drive it hard, expect some problems.

Or maybe the the opposite is true?? That is, perhaps longer miles each initial drive period allows more time for accumulated moisture inside the engine to evaporate, reducing sludge, keeping the engine cleaner inside. Anyone who's pulled apart engines, knows local commuter engines which rarely get up to temp for very long, or are running a low or no T-stat are the dirtiest and most sludged-up inside. I remember hearing way back when, it takes ~8 miles of driving to get up to temperature and work out the moisture ...esp in the winter.

I don't know for sure ...but it's a thought.

Glad you got yours ironed-out and it's been running trouble-free. :waytogo:

Last edited:

MB6466

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2012 Laramie Longhorn with 20k miles. It was a custom factory build in bronze. Beautiful color. I still get compliments on it today. It now has 219,000 miles, and it has been an awesome truck. Very, very few problems, and it’s still in really good shape. At first, I just wanted to keep it forever and replace whatever breaks, but I am discovering that parts for things other than the drive train are getting very hard to find. My transfer case isn’t supported at all, so if it ever breaks, I have to replace it instead of repair it. I found that out when the output shaft bushing started to wear. The transmission shop couldn’t find any parts for it and had to modify a different part to fix it. I tried to get a new leather seat bottom for my drivers seat. Nope. Had to buy an aftermarket cover that fits well, but the quality and color aren’t good. The wiring harnesses in my front doors are breaking, and I want to replace with new ones instead of repair them. Again, nope. No OEM units are available any more. Interior parts? Forget it. I wanted to add the power lock for the tailgate. They laughed at me. The display screen is now going a little wonky. I’ve decided to sell my Ram and buy another brand. I don’t want to, but I also don’t want to be stuck with a vehicle you can’t buy parts for. I don’t know which brand I’ll buy yet, but I will sadly have to put my Ram out to pasture. It has been an AWESOME truck!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Buy a Toyota. When it comes to parts, there's Toyota ...and then there's everybody else. They're like the John Deere of the auto industry. I wish the domestics were a lot better on parts.

Most of the things you mentioned you probably could have bought off ebay if you were patient and waited a bit. Door wires do eventually break. It's frustrating. I think we're probably in a wierd time period where the aftermarket is just starting to kick in for earlier 4th gen's. Eventually probably about every part will be available considering they made so many of these trucks for so long. Probably the longest production run of any pickup model in history.

Thanks for the heads up on the output bushing. I might have to keep my eye open for one.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy a Toyota. When it comes to parts, there's Toyota ...and then there's everybody else. They're like the John Deere of the auto industry. I wish the domestics were a lot better on parts.
Kiss the Ram goodbye. Buy a Toyota.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I bought my 2012 Laramie Longhorn with 20k miles. It was a custom factory build in bronze. Beautiful color. I still get compliments on it today. It now has 219,000 miles, and it has been an awesome truck. Very, very few problems, and it’s still in really good shape. At first, I just wanted to keep it forever and replace whatever breaks, but I am discovering that parts for things other than the drive train are getting very hard to find. My transfer case isn’t supported at all, so if it ever breaks, I have to replace it instead of repair it. I found that out when the output shaft bushing started to wear. The transmission shop couldn’t find any parts for it and had to modify a different part to fix it. I tried to get a new leather seat bottom for my drivers seat. Nope. Had to buy an aftermarket cover that fits well, but the quality and color aren’t good. The wiring harnesses in my front doors are breaking, and I want to replace with new ones instead of repair them. Again, nope. No OEM units are available any more. Interior parts? Forget it. I wanted to add the power lock for the tailgate. They laughed at me. The display screen is now going a little wonky. I’ve decided to sell my Ram and buy another brand. I don’t want to, but I also don’t want to be stuck with a vehicle you can’t buy parts for. I don’t know which brand I’ll buy yet, but I will sadly have to put my Ram out to pasture. It has been an AWESOME truck!

If you want parts don't buy Chevy. I dumped my Silverado because a module for my in dash trailer brake controller went bad. There were something like two in the entire country. It took more than 6 months for GM to get them back in stock. I had to cut into my harness to bypass the in dash controller and wire in an aftermarket controller so I could tow.

UPdated: I forgot to put in the post that all this happened in 2016. So, can't blame covid for lack of parts.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Kiss the Ram goodbye. Buy a Toyota.

What you think Toyota's has no problems? I did a UOA on my wife's 2021 Highlander last year, oil report was red flagged as it had more then 5% fuel in the oil, I had oil changed yesterday engine it just under 30K, sent the oil sample in today, will see next week how much fuel is in the oil, I bet it will get red flagged so I will have to go have along talk with Toyota dealer who claimed to have never heard of such, but then he also said had never heard of a customer doing an oil test on any Toyota engine...

MB6466

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Most of the things you mentioned you probably could have bought off ebay if you were patient and waited a bit. Door wires do eventually break. It's frustrating. I think we're probably in a wierd time period where the aftermarket is just starting to kick in for earlier 4th gen's. Eventually probably about every part will be available considering they made so many of these trucks for so long. Probably the longest production run of any pickup model in history.

Thanks for the heads up on the output bushing. I might have to keep my eye open for one.
I’ve been looking on eBay for the harnesses, but every site says unavailable. Every website listed through Google says unavailable. I’d hate to sink $15+K on an engine and tans only to have it die due to some obscure part that I can’t get anymore. I’m leaning towards a Toyota Tacoma. I can get a discount through my nephew