Need 4x4 Help ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
So we got about 9 inches of snow here the other day and so i started using my four wheel drive to get around and help pull other cars out and travel on our roads that are now covered in snow. I have never had any issues with my 4x4 in the three years that I've owned this truck, but I believe that I now do. The truck is a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 Automatic 4x4 with a Dana 44 front axle. As of yesterday morning, when the 4x4 is engaged, there is a rotating squeak/squeal noise that comes from the front axle. The noise only sounds when the truck is moving forward and goes faster as the truck picks up speed and stops when the truck stop. With that being said, I assume that it is the front driveshaft. After searching around, I figured that it was one of the three u-joints in the front shaft. So I crawled up under the truck to check for play in the joints and there is no play in them. As I rotate the shaft by hand, the squealing noise is coming from where the front yoke of the shaft connects to the axle on the differential and it does squeak with each turn of the shaft. Any ideas on what this is other than the u-joints, or is it the u-joints and the cardan joint? Any help/guidance would be appreciated since I need this torn apart, fixed, and put back together ASAP.
Thanks.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Start by replacing the u-joints on the front DS, the double cardan joints are pita to change out if you don't have the right tools. Check the fluid level in the front diff as well, you could have a pinion bearing going out.

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
It sounds like its actually in the differential housing. If there is a bearing through which the shaft enters the housing, that would sound about right to me. I think I'll replace the joints and see what happens, but I'm gonna need this going soon. Any way to check to bearing? I guess I could remove the shaft and then turn the yoke on the differential to see if it still squeaks?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
That would be whats called the pinion bearing, not fun to change out either. Full dissy of the front diff is required to change it out. Do like you are saying pull the ds and see if that stops the squeak. If it does u-joint time and good chance its just the pinion u-joint.

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Yep, gonna go tear it out later today. So cold here haha shop needs time to warm up. I really hope that its just u-joints because they aren't too bad, and I've done them before. Local shop will do all three joints and change the spherical balls with the springs in the cardan for $180. Might just do that since I want it done quick.