Need advice Fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I been having issues with the gauge light coming on and then the oil stick on my dash dropping to zero and then back to roughly 10. I checked the oil and had enough to last me until the 3rd of December. Yesterday I keep hearing this crackle sound coming the Pulley next to the conveyor belt, next to the alternator and something with Coils. The serpentine belt is brand new so I know it's not that the Radiator hose is inches from the serpentine belt but not enough it cause any major issues. So I have no idea what this sound is, it goes louder when you step on the gas.

And now I checked the transmission oil it's good.
But the Engine Oil is at zero. how I have no idea but now I am wondering if this is the issue.

So my question is this can I buy a couple of quarts to put in the engine until the 3rd of December when I get my oil changed or should I not even be driving it at all. cause I do know NO OIL MEANS NEW ENGINE

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, here is the thing: no oil pressure also means the engine will make a horrendous noise. I mean rod knock and lifter tick that is to have no rival. If you don't have either, you likely have oil pressure.

To make sure you need to get a manual gauge and check it via that. I've got a feeling you've got an electrical issue (as per your other thread) and don't think you have an actual oil pressure issue.

(I'm going through the same sort of crap on my 76 at the moment lol)

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Well I check the dip stick and it was at the very tip of the stick and I smelled it and it had a mild burnt after fact to it.

and for "To make sure you need to get a manual gauge and check it via that"

How do I go about doing that, would auto zone be able to assist with their free check

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
If it didnt have oil pressure the engime would have blown by now. Its most likely the oil pressure switch has gone bad and it needs to be replaced, its common with dodges for them to go bad

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Even with the dipstick not showing any oil. I'm really dumbfounded. I know what Dodge Dude94 is saying about the Electrical issues. Yet I want to be on the same page when I do get it checked out.

What do I need to do and say, cause I am extremely Mechanically Inclined. Sad really but never had anyone teach me

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well I check the dip stick and it was at the very tip of the stick and I smelled it and it had a mild burnt after fact to it.

and for "To make sure you need to get a manual gauge and check it via that"

How do I go about doing that, would auto zone be able to assist with their free check
It probably has a burnt smell because it needs to be changed. lol That's not going to affect pressure unless it goes for so long the sensor gets covered up. Hell, if that bothers you, go to walmart and pickup 6 qts of oil and a filter and change it to see if that helps any.

As for the manual gauge, that usually involves getting into the backside of the engine and taking out the original sensor and putting a manual one in. I think it's also possible to use the original sensor and just override the PCM with another computer, but I don't know how that works.
If it didnt have oil pressure the engime would have blown by now. Its most likely the oil pressure switch has gone bad and it needs to be replaced, its common with dodges for them to go bad

^+1. that's what I'm sorta leaning towards myself.

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It probably has a burnt smell because it needs to be changed. lol That's not going to affect pressure unless it goes for so long the sensor gets covered up. Hell, if that bothers you, go to walmart and pickup 6 qts of oil and a filter and change it to see if that helps any.

As for the manual gauge, that usually involves getting into the backside of the engine and taking out the original sensor and putting a manual one in. I think it's also possible to use the original sensor and just override the PCM with another computer, but I don't know how that works.

^+1. that's what I'm sorta leaning towards myself.

Thanks you guys, I know I am like 400 miles over due on my oil change and I know you can go roughly 2000 more. So I should get my normal oil change and then take it to an electrician to see about putting a manual sensor in and to override the PCM.

Is there a way to have the Electrician check the entire Chassis and Engine Electrical

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks you guys, I know I am like 400 miles over due on my oil change and I know you can go roughly 2000 more. So I should get my normal oil change and then take it to an electrician to see about putting a manual sensor in and to override the PCM.

Is there a way to have the Electrician check the entire Chassis and Engine Electrical
Change the oil first, see what happens. See what sounds it makes, etc.

Then you can move onto the gauge. Start googling how to put a manual gauge on the truck.

(Hey, it ain't my truck, gotta do some legwork, ya know? :bowroflwerd6:)

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I know Dodge Dude94 but thank you for being so dang patient with me on these issues, this truck really is not worth the hassle but I am to stubborn to get rid of it, my first truck and I really want to enjoy it.

But I really need an Electrician to check every electrical issue cause I have a feeling this is not over. With the wires on the battery 4 to 5 wires loosely dangling around the Radiator fan I really just hope it's the sensor and like I said before I have never changed an oil in anything from my 2004 Pontiac Vibe to this truck, I rather pay someone who knows what they are doing cause I sure don't

But again thank you so much I will keep you posted for sure :bowroflwerd6:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey, if you don't keep it on the road, chances are no one else will.
As for the oil change, just get a filter wrench and do it yourself. Not hard at all. Well, you need a pan too....but it's not hard at all.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Last edited:

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Sound like your coil wire is shot and sparking to the block

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Just wanted to update you guys on what the issue was. I guess I only had half a quart in and was suppose to have 5 quarts. The Check gauge light went out right away

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You had a half quart in a system that is supposed to have 5.5 qts? And it didn't smoke itself? WTF.

Glad you got it figured out, but keep an eye on it.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
It blows my mind that you werent picking up pieces off the road after it grenaded itself.