Need Assistance Picking out a 2015 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbarilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys, new here and never owned a pickup but always wanted one. You know how it goes family (3 kids and a mother-in-law) been down the minivan, SUV etc. road more than a few times and am finally looking into getting what I want (my wife still has the SUV category covered). Anyway, I'm looking to get a 2015 RAM 1500. Totally confused as to what engine etc. I don't really tow but my 16 year old son says that if I don't get the 5.7 HEMI he'll disown me. Looking for a bit of luxury as it wont be a utility truck. Want the largest and as best equipped cab/truck that I can get for my budget which is about $32-34K. Bed does not have to be the largest. Want an engine that finally is exciting to drive. Like the two tone look. Help me here guys, this is serious, so many trim levels and options. I want as comfortable a ride as I can get for my budget. Everyone has an opinion and I will listen to their suggestions. This will still be a family truck as much as it will be MINE. Need as large and comfortable a cab as possible for the family for long trips etc. I hear good & bad things about the eco diesel engine. I commute about 60 miles a day mostly with about 50 miles being highway driving. Help needed in NJ!!

Thanks,

James

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I love my ecodiesel, and it'll trump the hemi for fuel economy but you're not going to get much luxury with the ecodiesel in your budget. you might be able to find a tradesman regular cab for that. You're going to have to go hemi or pentastar, and you're still not going to get a decked out truck brand new for $34k out the door.

SuperTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could easily get a Crew Cab Express 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi and 8 Speed for your budget. However, prices vary by region.

You're gonna get better fuel economy from the EcoDiesel, but if you want something exciting, get the Hemi. I love mine.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Look into the Big Horn Crew Cab's and Possibly the Sport Crew Cab

I got my brand new 14' Sport CC pretty damn loaded with the 5.7 for about $35k out the door(sticker was $45k)

Mine is only 4x2 though, if you need 4x4 you will probably have to end up with an Express/Tradesman Or maybe you can squeeze a Big Horn out of them

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into the Lone Star edition (Big Horn if not in The Great State). It is comfortably equipped and you can get it <35k. As for the engine it depends on what kind of driving you do. The eco diesel doesn't sound like an option for you as a comfortably equipped eco diesel will be around 38k.

OP
OP
J

jrbarilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply's guys. I see that if I want what I think that I want I will have to possibly increase my budget. I just built the truck over at the RAM site. They calculate the monthly directly off MSRP. I am going to target the Laramie model with the 5.7 Hemi. My question is now, is MSRP the price you guys pay for your trucks? I have never bought a vehicle for MSRP, always considerable less. I usually research dealer invoice price for what I want and offer then ~$700-$1k over. In addition to what I offer them over their invoice they usually get some sort of dealer incentive so they make out in the end. Any good sources for finding out dealer invoice? Also what have your experiences been negotiating below MSRP or up from invoice?

Thanks for all your help!

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I pay 1% less than factory invoice plus all available rebates.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check edmunds. you can plug the exact specs for hte truck you find and it returns an avg of what people are paying. Ram is running significant rebates, so if you pay anywhere near invoice, you are getting ripped off.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on your budget of $34,000 you are looking at an express crew cab. That level is nicely optioned, but you wont get leather and some other high end cab fluff.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jersey guy here....you can play with the different configuration, but for a family, a crew cab is a must

I have a quad cab and I don't regret it, but I wish I had more room. My kids are 8 and 10 and I can see them kneeling me in about 3-4 years. I do love my truck and I'm keeping it for the long haul.

"Worrying about MPG on a truck is like worrying about the tow rating on a prius"

Setup
*Bilstein shocks in front set to max 2.8"
*Bilstein shocks in the rear and 1" spacer
*Aftermarket pioneer head unit (AVH - P3400BH)
*4 - kicker 6-1/2 component speakers (4 doors)
*2 - Kicker 3.5" speakers (dash)
*1 foxbox vented sub box for 2-12 inch speakers
*2 - 12" alpine Type R SWR 1243 speakers
*1- Alpine MRP -M500 amp

Canyonero02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The discounts won't be as good on a 2015 model. I would look at what dealers near you have on the lots now. They will be giving considerable amounts off on 2014's. No real changes for next year anyway. You should be able to get a crew cab 4x4 express or maybe a big horn for your price range.

OP
OP
J

jrbarilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to clarify - when I say invoice, I mean how much the dealer actually paid for the vehicle not the MSRP. So, as one person quoted, "I usually pay 1% less than invoice", how would that be possible unless there is some sort of dealer incentive that puts them in the black? Thanks again, I will check Edmunds as someone suggested.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There are no major changes for 2015. You should really consider shopping the 2014 models that are still on dealer lots.
Dodge has large incentives now to clear out the inventory before the 2015 models start rolling into the pipeline.
The Ram site usually applies the rebates and offers to the price so that it will actually be below MSRP on the site if they have an offer active.

Last edited:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 CC Black Express went out the door for between $32, 000 - 33,000 including State Tax and MV fees. Dealers in each region have different incentives so sometimes its hard looking apples to apples. AS someone has already stated, look into getting a 2014. The dealers will be trying to push them out the door and more likely to deal.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to clarify - when I say invoice, I mean how much the dealer actually paid for the vehicle not the MSRP. So, as one person quoted, "I usually pay 1% less than invoice", how would that be possible unless there is some sort of dealer incentive that puts them in the black? Thanks again, I will check Edmunds as someone suggested.

dealers sell vehicles below invoice all the time. I don't think they ever pay invoice for vehicles due to incentives etc even when no rebates are being offered from the manufacturer.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Its called affiliate pricing. I get it through work, you can get it after 90 days after joining treadlightly.com for $100 for a year.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
dealers sell vehicles below invoice all the time. I don't think they ever pay invoice for vehicles due to incentives etc even when no rebates are being offered from the manufacturer.

Exactly, even when they're b*tching and moaning or saying they're losing money they're full of it. They're making money.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hi guys, new here and never owned a pickup but always wanted one. You know how it goes family (3 kids and a mother-in-law) been down the minivan, SUV etc. road more than a few times and am finally looking into getting what I want (my wife still has the SUV category covered). Anyway, I'm looking to get a 2015 RAM 1500. Totally confused as to what engine etc. I don't really tow but my 16 year old son says that if I don't get the 5.7 HEMI he'll disown me. Looking for a bit of luxury as it wont be a utility truck. Want the largest and as best equipped cab/truck that I can get for my budget which is about $32-34K. Bed does not have to be the largest. Want an engine that finally is exciting to drive. Like the two tone look. Help me here guys, this is serious, so many trim levels and options. I want as comfortable a ride as I can get for my budget. Everyone has an opinion and I will listen to their suggestions. This will still be a family truck as much as it will be MINE. Need as large and comfortable a cab as possible for the family for long trips etc. I hear good & bad things about the eco diesel engine. I commute about 60 miles a day mostly with about 50 miles being highway driving. Help needed in NJ!!

Thanks,

James

Hi Jimmy, Im from Nj too. Where u from? I lived in Wayne, Nj (Passaic cty). First of all, your son is right, u can never have too much truck. And since u have a family like me, I suggest u get the mega cab. So Spacy, luxurious, you'll never want anything else. You mentioned the largest cab. NOTHING else is like a mega cab, what, with those reclining seats. Please test-drive 1. I too, commute 120 miles Daily (I no longer live in NJ). You want a smooth, comfortable ride. So, I suggest the 6.4L Hemi (what a beast) mega cab, Laramie 2500. I got mine with the bench seat front, so i can seat 6. This truck is more luxurious than my Lincoln Town Car, i kid u not. And do like I did, get her loaded to the gills. Better to have something, than want it. I saved up for 5 Years to buy this truck, finally got her in Cash, I Love her, And will keep her forever!:)

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Dealers pay invoice minus Holdback. They get Holdback regardless. SO as a rough example, if MSRP is $60, Invoice is $55, Holdback is $1G, that means they actually paid $54. They can sell u the truck at $54,400 and still make a $400 Profit. They dont want u to Know that but its true. I had a dealer in Montana also push thru all kinds of Rebates that i didnt even qualify for...Snow And Ice management, Business Rebates, Etc., and i dont even have a business. I didn't ask questions, i didnt argue. I got my $58K MSRP truck for $46. Wasn't gonna argue too much, LOL. He had ways of pulling strings. And he ships nationwide. PM me if u want his info. I can teach u all kinds of tricks if u want. This was my first truck purchase. I Love my ram 2500 Laramie, mega cab. :favorites13:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Best bank for your buck will be a end of year 2014 big horn. The cheapest way to get 2 tone that I can think of is in the outdoorsman(very nice truck) 35k will get you Lot of truck but if you can find the wiggle room to boost your budget up to 38-40 you can get into the sport or even low end Laramie. Most truck end of the year are pulling 10-12 off msrp. Crew cab is a must, all trim levels ride great(I have 14 hemi express 4wd and it rides smoother than my wife's 11 altima). Engine in my opinion hemi 8 speed is the way to go. Eco diesel will take over 100k miles to pay for it's self minus costly diesel repairs and maintenance. Trim level go for what you can afford just play around on rams website and compare all models and there options.

Status
Not open for further replies.