Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubba Tarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I’m new to working on trucks or really any vehicles but I want to start learning. I have a 04 ram 1500 5.7 with a 3 or 4 inch rough country lift on it. Recently I went in to my local shop to get an alignment and they said that there was too many worn out front end components to do anything with. My thought are why don’t I just go through the entire front end and replace every ware component, but I have no idea what I need to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hey guys, I’m new to working on trucks or really any vehicles but I want to start learning. I have a 04 ram 1500 5.7 with a 3 or 4 inch rough country lift on it. Recently I went in to my local shop to get an alignment and they said that there was too many worn out front end components to do anything with. My thought are why don’t I just go through the entire front end and replace every ware component, but I have no idea what I need to buy. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. See if that mechanic will give you a list of parts he felt were worn out, there's your starting point. There are other factors, but that's as good a place as any to start. Good luck!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Agree, dont freely let them replace everything. But f its lifted and an 04, I bet some parts are due.

atlas750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought an 05 with RC lift a couple years ago. Same issue. Since then I have replaced most of the front end components. I rides better than ever! Find a good shop and get a list-mine was a long list!

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
For bushings i only use energy suspension components
energysuspension.com

Blue Mule

OP
OP
B

Bubba Tarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys, I’ll definitely start by going by a shop and having them make me a list of things I need. Much appreciated

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it ends up in the thousands, keep in mind a solid axle swap is about 3500, get a king pin you wont have to worry about **** ever again. Look under a 2500 and look at the host of dinky **** we have under our 1500's. All you need to do is ensure you have the same gear ratio front and back. Get a rebuild from a junk yard.

866008542.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you were interested I poached this from a discussion... You would have a fair amount of cutting and welding to make this fit in your truck, but it would be a great mod.

What's different between a kingpin knuckle and a balljoint knuckle?
Kingpin or balljoint refers to the pivoting parts between the inner and outer knuckles--kingpin knuckles rotate on machined bushings and bearings, while balljoint knuckles rotate on a ball-and-socket joint.

Why would I want kingpin knuckles?
Kingpin knuckles are generally stronger, easier to maintain, and more durable than balljoint knuckles. Also, if you break an axle, the broken chunks can pop out the ball joints in a balljoint knuckle--kingpins can't be popped out like that.
Kingpin knuckles also use a conventional spindle, wheel bearing, and hub assembly. Most balljoint knuckles are designed to use an expensive dealer-only "Unit Bearing" wheel hub assembly that isn't maintainable separately--you just wait till it wears out, throw it away, and buy a new one.

If kingpins are so good, why did Ford and Dodge change to balljoints?
Balljoint knuckles have fewer machined surfaces, and use less material. For an application where the knuckles are being loaded properly (small tires, minimal offset, street use) and not side loaded, ball joints are strong enough. Being that they cost less to manufacture, the OEM's switched to save money--$5 a knuckle is a lot of money if you build a million trucks a year.
Since OEM light trucks don't use large tires, and they're not intended to go rockcrawling, they don't have to worry about the side loads that 38" and bigger tires put on the front axle.

simple bullet proof design.

100_4935_Medium_.jpg

Last edited: