Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
I recently inherited a 95 dodge ram Magnum v6 which he used for 15 years as an HVAC technician. It has not been run regularly in 5 years. Minor Rust all over and an engine with water in the oil. I can pull the heads to check the headgaskets. How can I check for a cracked block. He has had the engine replaced once and the odometer only has slightly less than 100,000 miles. Are there any newer engines I can put in without major modifications. If I can get it fixed up, I will sell my current car and drive this. I am assuming I will need all new belts, hoses, fluids, definitely a batter. Basically, I am looking for some recommendations. What kind of fuel mileage do these typically get when running properly. Also, is it a bear to get an OBD1 vehicle in texas inspected? That is my main concern. My other option is to sell it dirt cheap. But I would prefer to keep it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Water in the oil is usually indicative of a blown head gasket and while Magnums rarely actually blow head gaskets, it's still possible. To my knowledge, the only real accurate way of testing a block for cracks is to pull it, strip it and have it magafluxed, but I am not well versed in that.

As far as other engines, any 94-01 Magnum will work all you have to do is replace the intake manifold with your intake.

For inspection I don't see why it would be. What part are you from and do you have emissions?

Welcome to RF!

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Water in the oil is usually indicative of a blown head gasket and while Magnums rarely actually blow head gaskets, it's still possible. To my knowledge, the only real accurate way of testing a block for cracks is to pull it, strip it and have it magafluxed, but I am not well versed in that.

As far as other engines, any 94-01 Magnum will work all you have to do is replace the intake manifold with your intake.

For inspection I don't see why it would be. What part are you from and do you have emissions?

Welcome to RF!

I agree 100% :favorites13:

OP
OP
J

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
I live in Dallas, Texas and I believe there are emissions standards. My grandad is telling him that his mechanic told him the block is cracked. Does this sound possible? Where there common overheating problems with the block?

Can V8 Magnums be swapped in with out a whole lot of motor mount issues? The same year models mentioned earlier?

My grandfather is sentimental to me and this is something I may decide to keep in the family for quite some time.

OP
OP
J

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
By the way, thanks for all the help so quick.

OP
OP
J

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
What about transmission issues as well? Will they bolt up or hold up to a V8? Do I need a new ECU?

Anyone know of a source where I can get this stuff. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I have an uncle who is an auto mechanic for the last 25 years. ASE certified in everything. I am not not afraid of hard work. I have a cherry picker and all that good stuff. I was mainly concerned about getting it running first and then putting in another motor later. However, if I find a bad block...might as well go with a bigger motor from day 1. I would have never bought a truck with a V6. Crate motors?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You will need the V8 wiring harness, V8 pcm, V8 flex plate to match the 5.2 or the 5.9(both use diff flexplates), auto tranny will be 46rh (used from 94-95) 46RE was used from 96+. The donor motor can be from the years 94-2002. The rest I would stay with 94-95 parts as these are OBD1 trucks after 96 they are OBD2 trucks. I am not to sure if the OBD2 wiring harness will fit in the OBD1 trucks and match up.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I live in Dallas, Texas and I believe there are emissions standards. My grandad is telling him that his mechanic told him the block is cracked. Does this sound possible? Where there common overheating problems with the block?

Can V8 Magnums be swapped in with out a whole lot of motor mount issues? The same year models mentioned earlier?

My grandfather is sentimental to me and this is something I may decide to keep in the family for quite some time.
It could be, but it would be rare. Common overheating problems are related to the heads mostly. The catalytic converter gets clogged and cracks the heads then you get your coolant usage and end up overheating.

For a swap, I'm pretty sure you'd just need the V8 mounts for the frame. Should be a simple swap.
By the way, thanks for all the help so quick.
Sure, that's what we're here for. :favorites13:
What about transmission issues as well? Will they bolt up or hold up to a V8? Do I need a new ECU?

Anyone know of a source where I can get this stuff. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I have an uncle who is an auto mechanic for the last 25 years. ASE certified in everything. I am not not afraid of hard work. I have a cherry picker and all that good stuff. I was mainly concerned about getting it running first and then putting in another motor later. However, if I find a bad block...might as well go with a bigger motor from day 1. I would have never bought a truck with a V6. Crate motors?

You'll need the V8 transmission and the PCM for it. The V8 will destroy the V6 transmission in fairly short order and the PCM needs to be for the V8. You'll also need a 94-95 V8 PCM for whatever size engine you get.

Just start searching Craigslist and the junkyards. Also please read this thread: http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

annnd I got ninja'd by Mark with more info. :cheers:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Did you guys not get a good cold snap this winter? Possible and more like the block froze and cracked that way, otherwise its as DD94 posted.

OP
OP
J

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
It would have been from at least two years ago so I doubt it was from the this last winter although it could be now. He last had it inspected early 2012. It has not been driven regularly in at least 6 years. I am just thinking of options as I hate to see this thing sold for a couple of hundred bucks when he will just give it to me. It is always good to have a truck and it may as well be my grandfather's. He took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed a cracked block. I know he did not pull the motor to have it magnafluxed. I think he just did not want to mess with it personally. I just don't want to see the thing go even if I have to put it in my garage and do things extremely slow. I am open to just about anything, but 180 horsepower on the highway these days scares me. I had an 85 monte carlo ss with 180 horsepower and it would not get out of its own way.

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
You don't say how MUCH water is in the oil... I assume it's a small amount and not like, a quart.
If the block is cracked such that you have coolant in the oil then you should also have oil in the coolant.
Try pressure testing the cooling system and see if it holds pressure.

You could also send a sample of the oil to Blackstone labs for an analysis.

That said, if the engine has only been run briefly occasionally, then water could be in the oil as a normal by-product of combustion. If the engine never got up to temperature and stayed there for a little while, water could easily have built up.

How much have you driven it lately? If it's driveable and you don't have oil in the coolant, try taking it for a half-hour drive. Preferably highway. That should get the water out of the oil. If possible, do that before sending Blackstone your oil sample.

Just my 2¢, from a guy who also needs his heads pulled. :eek:

OP
OP
J

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
I honestly do not know how much water is in the oil. I talked to my uncle and he told me that.

We happened to be at his house for father's day and that is what got this whole conversation started. That is a good idea to check the cooling system for pressure. I need to get a battery for the truck to roll it over and get it started. I believe the issue is what stopped him from driving it and caused him to let it sit. That is why I believe something happened while it was being driven at least occasionally. He is 83 years old and his memory is pretty foggy on the chain of events that led him to parking it.

Let's say it is a block. For this size truck, with a longbed-single-cab, what engine swap recommendations do people have that will mount up pretty easy without much fabrication in terms of engine mounts?

If I can get it to run without problems, I may drive it for a bit but I will be replacing driveline at some point in the future so suggestions are appreciated. Minor towing and hauling only, but I do enjoy the fact of knowing I have speed if it is necessary.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You have a few choices;

The 5.2 and the 5.9 Magnum motors are bolt in upgrades over the V6.

Find a V6 replacement motor, this is by far the easiest route to take and the cheapest.
Find a 5.2 or 5.9 and auto 46rh tranny from a 94-95 truck and all the other parts needed.
Find a motor 5.2 or 5.9 any (94-2002) and an 46rh (94-95)auto put them together and all the other parts needed and install in your truck.
Find a motor 5.2 or 5.9 and an NV3500 or NV4500 plus all the needed parts and install them into your truck.

These are all bolt in opts.

OP
OP
J

JimmyCriswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Dodge Ram
Engine
Magnum V6
What would you do if it was yours in terms of HP/TQ/Reliability and gas mileage?

I only commute about 17 miles each way to work.

Are there any Crate Options that are nice that bring everything up to date?

I love this forum. Thank you all so much for all the help and for being so nice about since I am a beginner.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The V6 is an anemic engine for the weight of the truck. The V8s are a much better option if you can stay out of the throttle.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
What would you do if it was yours in terms of HP/TQ/Reliability and gas mileage?

I only commute about 17 miles each way to work.

Are there any Crate Options that are nice that bring everything up to date?

I love this forum. Thank you all so much for all the help and for being so nice about since I am a beginner.

If it were mine I would find a good long-block 5.9 Magnum, a rebuilt 46rh, stuff it in and call it a good truck.

It is a truck, mpg hover around 10-12 city and 14-16 hwy at best.

Yes there are some crate motors out there but get ready to drop some major cash for something in the 300+hp range.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion the 5.2 is the most reliable motor for the rams.
Gas mileage isn't that great in either of the v8's, not sure about the 6.
The 5.2 is rated between 220 and 230 hp and 300lb ft of torque.
The 5.9 (gas) is rated around 245 hp and 335lb ft of torque.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357