-->Need your Advice-->14 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChXd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Engine
New guy here and I never used to even consider Ram but they have really impressed me in my test drives.

I don't own one yet as I am hesitant to drop $40k on a vehicle. However I want a decent vehicle that can tow my 29' Jayco TT and not have its tongue hanging out when done towing. I currently have a 99 Suburban w/ 179k miles and it just doesn't handle well or pull well. TT is 5500lb dry & unloaded. Probably closer to 7500-8000lb loaded with gear (never weighed). I do have weight distribution system.

My dream truck would be:
-1500 Outdoorsman Crew 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi 8spd, 26T preferred pck
- 3.92 ASD & trailer brake/tow pck
- 17" wheels
- bench seat (need to fit 6)
- 6'-4" bed
- comfort group heated wheel & seats
- rear view camera (can't get any help backing up to camper)
- bed liner (bonus)
- rear window def
- remote start (yes I live in MI can u tell?)
- deep cherry red paint

They could only find 3 in a 300 mi radius due to the bench seat and 6'4" box parameters.

I sent a request out via edmunds.com and the one quote I got was on a $45,975 msrp. They knocked almost $3000 off sticker then took off the rebates offered in this region and came up with an OTD quote including taxes $42,089.

Most of what I've seen shared here on this site is people getting 10-11k off msrp. I told him he was too high but I'm wondering how much dealers will come off (without any rebates as they vary) msrp. According to Edmunds their offer was at invoice before rebates were applied.

What kind of suggestions do you guys have on the model/options I've chosen for my intent and the pricing I should be able to get down to?

Thanks Ram Forum Faithful!

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine is $440 per month 6yrs. I put $1500 down and my old truck trade which was a 05 w/110k quad cab hemi slt. Needed major work. They gave me 9500 for the 05 which I paid 5700 for in January. 1.9% rate Ended up financing $29k this is on a loaded with every possible option except sunroof, leather and air susp. big horn hemi quad 3.92 gearing. by the way I ordered the rear defroster and didn't know it would come with it the way it was. It is a sliding electric window. They don't tell u that :) It was a pleasant surprise :) this is in NY

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The dealer here has 10 brand new 2500's at least 10k off msrp, all Cummins all under 40k. I'll PM you, don't know if I can post in forum. it is santa rosa dodge. Oh yeah, all 4x4 too, but they are tradsmen. Compared to the 1500, it is a lot more truck at insane prices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChXd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Engine
Burla, is that CA? I'm in MI so that would be out of the realm of possibility if it is. Do those 2500's have 5.7 or 6.4? Pretty good deal on 3/4T truck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
6.7, read the link I sent you and call around and see if they can't price match you. I actually went there a couple days ago and test drove one. That price is so good it has me thinking about trading mine in.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Hell, If you got the money, and it seems as you do; I would get the 6.4l hemi or a diesel....

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If one dealership can make great deals like Burla stated, then any other dealership should be able to do the same. Get in there and wheel and deal with them. Tell them so and so is offering this and see if they will match it.

Astra9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My advice is to go order exactly what you want. That's what I did and my truck is similarly equipped to what you are looking for (with exception of 6'4" bed and bench seat). I'm also in Michigan. I got a decent deal on the truck but got ***** on my trade-in.

MyRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer has a lot of ways to make money on the deal, the new truck is just one of them. They make money (sometimes alot) on your trade-in if you have one. They make money on the financing. They make money on all of the dealer add-ons. And finally, they make money on the future service of your vehicle if they keep you as a service customer.

Because of this, there is alot of wiggle room on the sale of each truck!

OP
OP
C

ChXd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Engine
I really am not looking for a diesel. I like them but they are spendy to maintain and fix. Pulling that TT will only happen about 5 times a summer. Most miles will be put on by commute (33mi each way). I feel the payoff for the diesel is too much for too long with prices being $0.30 to $0.80/gal higher, then add in the premium for the initial cost of the drive train. Not sure I can justify that agony :)

Thank you for the input thus far

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 2500 w/6.4 wouldn't be a bad option; it's beefier frame and brakes would deal much better with a 29' trailer and the sway that comes with that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The sweet cherry red one for under 40k was the one I test drove. Remote start is any easy install. When you go to resale that 1500 you will loose, you probably can sell the Cummins for this price for a couple more years. True story, I bought a Cummins in 2001, and because of a bum Knee I had to sell it because I couldn't shift it anymore. I bought an add car from Ford, and Ford gave me 500 dollars MORE for my Cumins then I paid for it on a trade in on an ad car.

Chrome Appearance Group

18" Steel Spare Wheel
Bright Front Bumper
Bright Grille
Bright Rear Bumper

Radio: Uconnect 5.0 AM/FM/BT

5.0" Touchscreen Display
Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Media Hub
Overhead Console
Rear View Mirror w/Microphone
Charge Only Remote USB Port
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
Temperature & Compass Gauge
1-Yr SIRIUS Radio Service
For More Info, Call 800-643-2112

Popular Equipment Group

Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
Carpet Floor Covering
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Remote Keyless Entry
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio

Electric Shift-On-The-Fly Transfer Case

Storage Tray

ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera

Rear View Auto Dim Mirror w/Display

Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors

Black Exterior Mirrors
Exterior Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals
Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps
Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element

Protection Group

Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield

Additional Options

220 Amp Alternator
Current Generation Engine Controller
Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
180 Amp Alternator
Tow Hooks
Popular Equipment Group
Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Media Hub
RAM Active Air
Front & Rear Floor Mats
5.0" Touchscreen Display
Quick Order Package 2FA Tradesman
Charge Only Remote USB Port
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
Rear View Mirror w/Microphone
Overhead Console
Exterior Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals
Chrome Appearance Group
Radio: Uconnect 5.0 AM/FM/BT
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Rear View Auto Dim Mirror w/Display
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic
Bright Rear Bumper
ParkSense Rear Park Assist System
Electric Shift-On-The-Fly Transfer Case
Diesel Exhaust Brake
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Remote Keyless Entry
Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps
Rear Folding Seat
Cummins Turbo Diesel Badge
18" Steel Spare Wheel
Protection Group
Carpet Floor Covering
Storage Tray
Selective Catalytic Reduction
Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element
40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
Trailer Brake Control
Black Exterior Mirrors
Temperature & Compass Gauge
ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
Bright Front Bumper
Engine: 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
5.5 Additional Gallons of Diesel
50 State Emissions
Bright Grille

OP
OP
C

ChXd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Engine
Hmm burla I must not be seeing something when using tapatalk app. I only have use of my iPhone for Internet so the website is hard to navigate. I'll take a peek there to see what you are talking about. Thanks again.

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

OP
OP
C

ChXd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Engine
Got your PM Burla. I cannot find it on tapatalk for some reason. Thanks for that link. The dealers around here are not that generous at least right in the internet. Good to know there is plenty more room (as I originally thought). Now I need to think about "how much" truck I really "need". 97% of my miles will be commuting so I have to consider that. The cummins would be way cool for pulling and all I just am not crazy about the quarter horse truck with its high maintenance and operating costs. I like your point about resale however and that needs serious consideration.

Good stuff!

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
42,000 seems like a lot for an outdoorsman! I'm about to do a deal for $42,450 on a 2014 brand new 1500 longhorn! They offered me a Laramie for 40k even and a sport for 39,100. The longhorn is loaded too. I'm in Canada so maybe our deals are a little more aggressive, but I'd shop around more If I were you!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah, sleep on it a while. I suggested it because I wished I would have bought one instead of my 1500. I don't prefer the weeny axle on these, the 2500's have the nice and powerful solid axle. I never got good gas mileage, and my hemi has been finicky. Drove a Cummins for 9 year professionally, and owned my 2001. They are great engines, and do not require much more maintenance then the hemi. You will probably need to add something to your tank so it doesn't gel and dump the water separator if they even still have those, and tha's about it. When items break, they do cost more, and items like fuel pumps will **** you off.

But, if you are in to modding, nothing comes as easy as getting gains from a Cummins, so much easier and cheaper. You can get 100hp with little more then a tune, just need something to monitor exhaust temps if you do. And if we ever run out of gas, with a small modification you can run any cooking oil you want. I like my truck and I got 10k off msrp as well for a Hemi 4x4 reg cab slt, only paid 24k. I wouldn't pay over 40k for a 1500 when you can get the Cummins for the same price, no way. Be patient, and at a minimum get 7500 off that msrp or buy used.

EOD_Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Outdoorsman Quad Cab 5.7L that I had built for me, and have had it for just a week. I have every option offered except the sunroof. My pricing was pretty dang good...sticker price was $46,600 and my price was just over $31,000. I used USAA's pricing service, which will be similar to those offered by Costco, etc. It's essentially the fleet/employee/no haggle price, plus whatever incentives exist. I regret nothing EXCEPT I wish I hadn't ordered the tow mirrors...they're just too big for my parking area.

I did a lot of research in package options before pulling the trigger, and I have to say, I got more out of my Outdoorsman choice than not. The same features (bigger gas tank, skid plates, etc) can be added to a Big Horn/Lone Star but the price ends up being several hundred dollars more. The Sport was a very, very tempting choice because I really like the headlights and taillights (HID/LED) and the push button ignition but the price was just something I couldn't justify. I think you're on the right track, man. I got my truck built and delivered in 6 weeks (delay due to heavy ordering of the new diesel at the time) and have everything I want and nothing that I don't

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my outdoorsman was 36k(Canadian) before taxes MSRP was i believe 48k but i don't have some of those features such as the heated seats

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Msrp on my 13 outdoorsman was just under 44k. The difference between the one you want and mine is I dont have the split bench or the heated seats. Good luck getting any of the dealers to negotiate. I was at litterally every dealer in southeast michigan that was north of Detroit before I found mine for the price I was willing to pay. I leased mine but the otd price was 36k and some change. I used supplier pricing which pretty much anyone can get including AAA members.

OP
OP
C

ChXd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Engine
EOD TEX. That is an awesome price. I was actually considering a used F150 at $31k!! I never realized those type of buyers clubs offered such great deals. Thanks for the info. Nice to know that option is out there

How did u take delivery of it then?

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE