Need your opinions on a 2" lift after winch weighed down front!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liv2race

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi everyone, I recently added a winch and mount to the front of my truck and before and after measurements are that I lost almost 1".

I planned on only doing a 1.5 or so but now I'm thinking of a full 2" to get me a touch over 1" over stock. I have the 3.92s and would love to keep stock size tires as I like the acceleration and towing. So no Big lift in needed.

Questions.

Should just go with a spacer since I really will only be about 1" - 1.5" over stock with a 2" spacer? I'm assuming that the upper ball joints will be ok with that?

Or go with bilsteins? But Im thinking that will just add even more preload on the front springs enough to make the ride bad and have less travel....

Opinions?

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the Bilsteins They have a 1.4 and 2.1 so you can adjust it to get it right where you want the weight of the bumper won't affect them.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree on going with the Bilstiens, but the added weight will affect them also. It's the coilspring that is supporting the vehicle's weight, not the shock.
I think you just need to decide how much you want the front of your truck lifted now. If you originally wanted to lift it 1.5 inches, but the winch weighted it down 1 inch, it seems you would want to lift the front 2.5 inches over it's current height.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You'll also need to replace the upper control arms if you're going to do this. Stock ones are pretty weak and will pop ball joints

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya I would agree on doing new control arms with the level and that extra bumper weight.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yep, that would be a good idea since he has a 2014.

ddowns2646

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you said the control arms are weak on a 2014 and chancing a ball joint popping out I have a 2011 1500 with a hell bent steel 1.5" level kit (spacers) do I need to be worried about the control arms?

Ghengis_Khandrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
13 and 14 model year rams are the ones wit the weaker control arms, earlier 4th gen control arms don't seem to have the same ball joint issue so you should be ok!