New guy with some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Rogues Gambit

Hey, how are you guys?

First of all, don't have the truck yet, but planning on ordering it soon since I need a new work/personal vehicle and after driving an '18 2500 6.4 yesterday, decided that was a bit much when the 5th gen is basically has similar towing (1,000 off, but I'll probably be towing 7-8k max)

After some research, decided that the Rebel fits the bill, though as the title says, got a few questions

1. Since it's a DD that occasionally will tow and off-road, should I get the air suspension or skip it? (Since I want to build it up eventually)
  2. What's the go to website for parts and accessories, the ECS tuning or American Muscle/Extreme Terrain for us Ram guys?
  3. What would the build time for the truck be about if I were to order it, since I don't see the one I want anywhere in the immediate area
  4. I'll search this one, so it's optional to reply to, but whats a good performance/suspension shop in the tri-state?
Thanks ahead of time for taking a look and hope to have some good news to share with you guys soon!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If frequently towing, never underestimate the stability of a 2500, or overestimate the stability of a 1500. Even though the tow capacities are close, the stability of the 2500 will be infinitely better.

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

True, but don't think I'll be towing all the time, maybe once a job starts and then taking the stuff back (Demo, so not immediate)

Also gonna stick to the traditional springs instead of air. Now to just see what's around and when I'm free

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use realtruck most of the time. Free shipping and fast turn around. I guess it depends on what kind of accessories you're looking for. So far I've found there's limited availability for our new Ram trucks, as most stuff is still set for the previous generation.

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

I use realtruck most of the time. Free shipping and fast turn around. I guess it depends on what kind of accessories you're looking for. So far I've found there's limited availability for our new Ram trucks, as most stuff is still set for the previous generation.

It needs time, but we know they'll have parts before long

Would love to cam it and do some exhaust, just enough to be beastly without the neighbors wanting to kill me... At least until I move

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
True, but don't think I'll be towing all the time, maybe once a job starts and then taking the stuff back (Demo, so not immediate)

Also gonna stick to the traditional springs instead of air. Now to just see what's around and when I'm free

Wise choice to stay away from air suspension, imho

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

I did a factory order and got exactly what I wanted in a truck. I did get the panoramic sunroof but no e-torque or air ride.

Is the sunroof a hindrance or not when it comes to Offroading. Not my main goal, but when it's the weekend and finally got something that you can follow your friends with (How we made it with my gf's golf is beyond me, though they'll never forget us)

IMG_20180929_222509.jpg

IMG_20180929_224019.jpg

IMG_20180929_224100.jpg

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the sunroof a hindrance or not when it comes to Offroading. Not my main goal, but when it's the weekend and finally got something that you can follow your friends with (How we made it with my gf's golf is beyond me, though they'll never forget us)

View attachment 152928

View attachment 152929

View attachment 152930

Awesome pics. I love the sunroof and I won't be taking the Longhorn off roading anytime soon. I have a 2017 Wrangler for that. I would think that the sunroof would be a nice touch while off roading.
IMG_0768.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

Awesome pics. I love the sunroof and I won't be taking the Longhorn off roading anytime soon. I have a Wrangler for that. I would think that the sunroof would be a nice touch while off roading.
View attachment 152931

Thanks and like I said, not off-roading enough for it to be a serious impact, plus I plan on getting a JL down the line anyway

Speaking of which, nice JKU. Do anything to it?

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I skipped the sunroof. One, I don't like having holes in roofs, as they all (eventually) leak, and two, I am a melanoma survivor and don't need any additional sun :D - besides, I have a little convertible for when I really do want some open-air motoring. Though I will say the sunroof on this thing is pretty impressive.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks and like I said, not off-roading enough for it to be a serious impact, plus I plan on getting a JL down the line anyway

Speaking of which, nice JKU. Do anything to it?

So far it's stock but planning a Mopar 6" lift with bigger tires and wheels. I also have the soft top for it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I skipped the sunroof. One, I don't like having holes in roofs, as they all (eventually) leak, and two, I am a melanoma survivor and don't need any additional sun :D - besides, I have a little convertible for when I really do want some open-air motoring. Though I will say the sunroof on this thing is pretty impressive.

All valid reasons bud, I know what you mean about the sun. I'm a red head and mostly wear a cap when outside. My 2 previous trucks had the smaller version of the sunroof and no leaks or issues. Fingers crossed on this one but it's really nice

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

First of all, glad you survived JD and I hear ya on the convertibles (use to get a lovely farmers tan w/my old mustang)

Mopar huh? I'm new to Offroading, so curious why you're going OEM+ vs aftermarket for your lift? Still pretty pimpy.

Well, bright side, if I do anything w/gf, my sister and her bf, they'll enjoy the view up in the sky and since it's auto, they'll probably steal it.

Off topic, if I do the Y-pipe first as I'm still researching mufflers vs cats, how much sound and power should I expect? (Catted for emissions, at least until I can afford to move somewhere that doesn't bother). Figure AFE and AFE CAI for sound