New Owner Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PSAMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hello,
Wife and I are proud owners of new 2018 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4. Here are he specific details on the truck. 6.7 Liter Turbo Diesel, 6 speed auto RFE Transmission, 3.42 axle ratio
Max payload 2450 lbs (according to VIN search on Ram website)
Max towing 17280 ibs (same as above)
Front GAWR 6000 lbs (according to door panel)
Rear GAWR 6500 lbs
GVWR 10000 lbs

Are we safe to attempt to pull a 5th wheel trailer that has a GVWR of just under 14000 lbs?. The listed hitch weight is 1941 lbs, but that may be at empty weight. Trying to figure this makes my head spin and I get confused by different internet sources. I figure the people here are the ones to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Pretty sure you'd be okay with your setup. There are some good folks in here that have more experience with 5th wheel setups and will chime in.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hello,
Wife and I are proud owners of new 2018 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4. Here are he specific details on the truck. 6.7 Liter Turbo Diesel, 6 speed auto RFE Transmission, 3.42 axle ratio
Rear GAWR 6500 lbs
GVWR 10000 lbs

Are we safe to attempt to pull a 5th wheel trailer that has a GVWR of just under 14000 lbs?. The listed hitch weight is 1941 lbs, but that may be at empty weight. Trying to figure this makes my head spin and I get confused by different internet sources. I figure the people here are the ones to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes your truck will handle it with no problem. Be sure the 5th wheel in the truck is rated to 16K or better. Nothing at all to worry about

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^There is your safety and confirmation endorsement. All you need to know. Lots of tow members here. Welcome to a great forum.

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Hello,
Rear GAWR 6500 lbs
GVWR 10000 lbs

Based on these numbers I think you are OK but don't take my word for it because I get confused too. I'll be watching this thread myself and hopefully someone will chime in that has a firm grasp on this and we can both learn something.

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What does the payload sticker on YOUR door jam say?

Subtract from that the loaded pin weight and the weight of you and your occupants, as well as anything else you put on the truck. That will tell you.

Discussions on exceeding that payload number will vary but that’s where the level of risk you want to take comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Trailer math sucks but you have to do it. There are some good online tow calculators. You just need to know the following weights:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - total maximum truck weight
Payload maximum weight
Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating - Truck max weight + trailer weight.
How much your truck weighs with you, passengers, full load of fuel and any luggage or gear you are carrying and the pin weight of your trailer. Generally pin weight of a 5vr is 15 - 20 percent of the trailer's gross vehicle weight rating.

Plug those numbers into the online calculator and it will tell you if you are over or under your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can go by payload or by axle ratings. A 2500 has an artificially low payload to stay under 10,000# GVWR and stay in a certain weight class. Safety wise axle and tire ratings are what matter.

OP
OP
P

PSAMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
What does the payload sticker on YOUR door jam say?

Subtract from that the loaded pin weight and the weight of you and your occupants, as well as anything else you put on the truck. That will tell you.

Discussions on exceeding that payload number will vary but that’s where the level of risk you want to take comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

PSAMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
That's one reason I am confused. The door sticker says payload should not exceed 2095 lbs. But when I go to the Dodge Ram website and enter my VIN number, I get 2450 as max payload. Which do I believe?

OP
OP
P

PSAMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Something else that confuses me. I was told at dealership, that fuel weight is already figured into payload weight, that I don't have to figure that. But others say I have to take that and subtract from my published payload; again confused.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
That's one reason I am confused. The door sticker says payload should not exceed 2095 lbs. But when I go to the Dodge Ram website and enter my VIN number, I get 2450 as max payload. Which do I believe?
That's an interesting discrepancy. I think I'll go see what my truck's info will reveal. In the meantime, I'd go with the 2095 until I had an explanation. Just $0.02.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The sticker is specific to your truck. But I’m pretty certain going 400lbs over is not going to harm your truck or put anybody lives in danger. However there will be plenty who disagree lol.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The sticker is specific to your truck. But I’m pretty certain going 400lbs over is not going to harm your truck or put anybody lives in danger. However there will be plenty who disagree lol.
Real world: I agree. If someone was trying for the lower number and made an error of that amount, it would have to be within the range of the safety factors built into the system. I think I'd like to know the reason for differing information. My 1/2-ton lists 1088# for passengers and cargo, while the Ram website lists 1230#. My first and best guess is that the plate on the truck jamb assumes the vehicle is at curb weight (full tank, etc.) while the website does not. I hope someone can speak to that issue.
One thing I will point out, though, is that the gross axle weight ratings for the axles do not show how much weight is allowed for the specific vehicle above that axle. I know that fact from having had a dump truck years ago. The axle has a rating, yes, but it does not presume that the springs and all the rest of the suspension/body parts are equal to the work that the axle can do. So vehicle-specific limits take precedence over component ratings. Does anyone know if your state police or department of safety will perform weight distribution testing?

OP
OP
P

PSAMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Real world: I agree. If someone was trying for the lower number and made an error of that amount, it would have to be within the range of the safety factors built into the system. I think I'd like to know the reason for differing information. My 1/2-ton lists 1088# for passengers and cargo, while the Ram website lists 1230#. My first and best guess is that the plate on the truck jamb assumes the vehicle is at curb weight (full tank, etc.) while the website does not. I hope someone can speak to that issue.
One thing I will point out, though, is that the gross axle weight ratings for the axles do not show how much weight is allowed for the specific vehicle above that axle. I know that fact from having had a dump truck years ago. The axle has a rating, yes, but it does not presume that the springs and all the rest of the suspension/body parts are equal to the work that the axle can do. So vehicle-specific limits take precedence over component ratings. Does anyone know if your state police or department of safety will perform weight distribution testing?

In Texas, no.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I think the rating actually get lower on higher trim models. The specs I believe they post on website are for base models. Tradesman and gas engine. A;p that extra fancy stuff adds weight. But I persnallly still would put the fifth wheel hitch in. Hit a scale and see where she’s at. It should be just fine

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I think the rating actually get lower on higher trim models. The specs I believe they post on website are for base models. Tradesman and gas engine. A;p that extra fancy stuff adds weight. But I persnallly still would put the fifth wheel hitch in. Hit a scale and see where she’s at. It should be just fine
I punched in my VIN, but you're right about more trim = lower payload. I chased that down before.

OP
OP
P

PSAMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
You can go by payload or by axle ratings. A 2500 has an artificially low payload to stay under 10,000# GVWR and stay in a certain weight class. Safety wise axle and tire ratings are what matter.

What is the significance of staying under 10000 # GVWR ? Are you saying that the 2500 has more actual payload than noted?
Again, just trying to wrap my head around the numbers and concept and not start an argument one way or the other.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I know these HD trucks very well. You are well within your weight limits. I’ve hauled these campers from the mfg to the dealers for years. They are very particular about what the limits of the tow vehicle is before they let the trailer leave with a delivery driver. All of their leased on trucks must be 2500 or better. They must be 7 years old or newer. I had 2 trucks leased on both were 2015 6.7CTD C/C longbed 4x4 with gooseneck and 5th wheel setups and aux fuel tank that carried an extra 75 gallons of fuel.
So I know you have a very capable truck.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hello,
Rear GAWR 6500 lbs
GVWR 10000 lbs

OP:
What are the specifics of the trailer that’s the 1 thing we must know in order to really help you out. The truck itself is one thing but to get to the meat n taters of this thread let’s know more about the trailer. Please OP