New sound system in the works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
So everybody has been talking about the net audio boxes so I called them up and was talking to the guy about how I want it on the driver side to keep the bigger fold flat floor part and he was like it just so happens we have a driver side built already that a guy canceled and they said they would take 80 bucks off if I buy it so I was like score. So then they sent me some pics and I was like fml.. it's driver side alright but it extends over into the other seat so that means I would have to take that other floor out. So canceled that box and asked to order one and they are like at least 8 weeks behind on orders... I can't win lol they are holding my spot in the line tho while I figure out what the hell I wanna Do lol. Anyways if anybody wants one and doesn't care about the folding floor you can get this one for a steal
19026.jpeg 19025.jpeg

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the components and 6x9s in. Tweeter I made a bracket to put in dash and angled tweeter towards the front. Mounted crossover in the doors and ran the speaker wire thru the factory harness. Speakers are just hooked to the stock head unit for now but damn did those speakers makes a huge difference. Ran the power cable thru the cab, just not hooked up yet til I decide what I wanna Do for the sub. Went ahead and ordered the harness from net audio so I'm not splicing anything. Will post some pics. Let me know what you think and if anything should be changed
View attachment 123301 View attachment 123302 View attachment 123303
Thats exactly where i put my crossovers. Pretty much the only spot they fit.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the components and 6x9s in. Tweeter I made a bracket to put in dash and angled tweeter towards the front. Mounted crossover in the doors and ran the speaker wire thru the factory harness. Speakers are just hooked to the stock head unit for now but damn did those speakers makes a huge difference. Ran the power cable thru the cab, just not hooked up yet til I decide what I wanna Do for the sub. Went ahead and ordered the harness from net audio so I'm not splicing anything. Will post some pics. Let me know what you think and if anything should be changed
View attachment 123301 View attachment 123302 View attachment 123303

great work man! I have taken off and put my door skins back so many times lately I can do it in my sleep. yes...honestly I'd say almost ANY aftermarket speaker is going to destroy the sound of the stock speakers....they are complete trash.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok guys just got everything ordered and while I wait for it to be shipped thought I would post what I got and see if anybody has tips or advice on install.

Truck is a 17 1500 Big horn quad cab with base audio system

Ordered:
Kicker kxa800.5 amp
Kicker 6.5" components
Kicker 2 way 6x9"
Single sub box for driver side
1 10" compR sub
Kicker amp kit with kisl's and rca cables
Few other odds and ends for install

Let's see what you guys have to say :)
bigre74....I started a thread to showcase audio upgrades. Do you mind adding your upgrades there too so we can all see what you’ve done so far. Just type in audio projects it will bring up the post.

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
So need some advice on subs. Was going to buy a net audio box but they are on backorder big time. So then I started looking at the single jl audio stealthbox with a 10w3v3 sub in it and it has awesome reviews and is on sale so was about to pull the trigger on that but then I find the atrend afg-201-10 box which is a complete fiberglass box and that plus same sub is not much cheaper than the stealthbox so was gonna again pull the trigger on it but decided to call first. They weren't able to come down anymore on the stealthbox but on the other box and jl sub seperatly they were able to come down to make It a $170 difference between the two. Now same sub for both so is the jl box worth that extra 170? It's made specifically for that sub and tuned for that sub. The atrend looks like it is about .2cuft bigger box
Atrend AFG-201-10

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
Well got a lil more done. Any advice on where to mount amp? Ordered different sub and box as wellSnapchat-1632898486.jpg 20180403_200746.jpg

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
make a simple board that spans across the bottom of wall with cut outs for your rear vents...DO NOT block those vents. Simple amp rack. There are many amp racks on google image for rams....no need to over complicate it....not many people will see it. I personally use industrial strength 3M Velcro to mount rack to wall....the industrial stuff is strong and my rack didn't move for years.

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
Should I put the back carpet back on and then Velcro to that or leave it off and Velcro to the dynomat?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Should I put the back carpet back on and then Velcro to that or leave it off and Velcro to the dynomat?
I personally left the factory wall carpet off cause I didn't think my Velcro would stick to carpet, it stuck great to my Stinger dampener tho and with rear seats in their normal up position, you couldn't tell I did not have the carpet on. My other concern was for re-sale purposes...I contemplated cutting windows into the carpet so my amps would show through...but I decided to stash the carpet for when I decided to trade the truck in. Once that time came, getting my truck back to stock was easy but the car salesmen never checked behind the rear seats so it really didn't matter in my situation....these trucks are not cheap and I want to do well on trade-in values so that's what steered my decision

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
Ya I agree with you there. I definitely wanna keep my trade in value because my plan was to keep this truck for about 3 years and then trade in for a higher trim level. We will see tho because by then my car will be about 5 years old and I will prolly want a new one of those too

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally left the factory wall carpet off cause I didn't think my Velcro would stick to carpet, it stuck great to my Stinger dampener tho and with rear seats in their normal up position, you couldn't tell I did not have the carpet on. My other concern was for re-sale purposes...I contemplated cutting windows into the carpet so my amps would show through...but I decided to stash the carpet for when I decided to trade the truck in. Once that time came, getting my truck back to stock was easy but the car salesmen never checked behind the rear seats so it really didn't matter in my situation....these trucks are not cheap and I want to do well on trade-in values so that's what steered my decision

I can assure you no one will look back there to affect resale value. I run a car dealership. There are many things we do not look for, such as things that from the factory you will never see! Remember the rear seats do not fold from the factory, so there is no reason to look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
Well got the harness wired up. Was gonna just put it in an make sure it worked and then pull it out and clean it up a lil more but it was kind of a ***** to get in so **** it, just gonna keep it in like that lol just glad it works. Still need to run the wires for the rear speakers and decide how I want to run the rca cables thinking of just goin thru the center console and then under the carpet. Here are some pics
20180405_220554.jpg Snapchat-1168542106.jpg

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
Well the new box and sub arrived. Needless to say I've been up all night, ready to have this truck done and put back together :)Snapchat-2020961973.jpg Snapchat-487670686.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's a good looking sub box. Looking like your you're going to have a busy couple days.

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
Well I've slowly been workin on it each day. Finally have it all hooked up and wanted to do a test run to make sure it all worked which thankfully it does. Now just gotta clean up the wires and put her all back together Snapchat-437405723.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Holy bowl of spaghetti. I'm sure you'll get the wiring all cleaned up. Putting the interior back goes pretty quick and easy. Now would be a good time to throw down some sound deadener before you put the panels back.

OP
OP
B

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
I put what I had left right behind the speakers on the doors. It's all hooked up and sounds great but now my check engine light is on.. any idea

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Damn! First think I'd check is any harnesses you had to unplug that they're plugged back in properly especially the ones for the new harness. If that doesn't work I'd remove your interface harness and disconnect the battery for a soft reset and see if the light goes out. Also check around the battery for anything that might be loose or accidental disconnected while you hooked up your amplifier power wire.