New to me 1984 Dodge Power Ram 250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

closedknuckle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for input on the flush/don't flush the tranny talk. I've heard not to flush it. 61000 miles, fluid not black but not pink either.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
How do you know its not 161k or 261k miles?

If it needs a flexplate, rear main seal, trans temp gauge probe, drain plug, or front trans seal.... I wait and do it all at the same time with oil and filter. Oil isnt cheap.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK I'M GOING TO SAY YOUR talking about your 1984 Ram 318.
If so then it should be the 727 trans... I going to say go ahead & drop the pan & do a filter change .
.... But ... Now read own.. Since you don't know it's mileage.. I worked at Chrysler for 10+ years from about 1996 maybe until 2005 +r- I'm not recalling my Sentence. But we told people asking your question. Drop the pan replace the filter & only replace the 4 or 5 qt's lost from the pan swap. Don't drain the TQ. Leave that fluid in & mix it with your new fluid .
Now again when you remove that pan.. Be careful & RAP THAT PAN WITH A DEAD BLOW HAMMER to loosen it up .. Leave a few bolts in it. one on each corner. It should come loose & fluid will spill out of it all around the pan. Let it drain somewhat while still attached to your trans. Then hold the pan in place & remove the last few bolts.. Drop the pan straight down slowly. Either set it down on a bench & look inside or again very slowly pour off some of the fluid ... Very slowly....
Wait...Wait .
now look inside the pan If you can see through the fluid ... GREAT .. WAIT Now look at the inside of the bottom of the pan & you may can see 4 small piles of silt or grim setting on the inside flat of the pan. You can now pour off a little more fluid. Watching each pile . You may not find anything more than just a dark stained spot on the pan. Great.. or You may find an inch round circle of Silt setting in the bottom of the pan.
Now slowly again take a small screw driver & dig into these piles & see what inside.. We call this Gold Mining .. WHILE ONE PILE WILL have more copper .. TOO MUCH COPPER tells you you have a weak bushing.. A pile of Red OR DARK BROWN SAND or dust tells you clutch material .. I don't recal what each pile told you.. But each of these pile also tells you .. What section or gear of the trans that pile has came from.. Not yours But while one maybe from the O/D & another from reverse. Those piles are where each return drain drops back into the pan. Seeing inside your undescribed pan give you a world on knowledge of what to expect.
...... AGAIN the pan gasket that came with your Trans It was called a lifetime gasket. It was a reusable gasket.. Today I'll bet it would cost $75.00.. But one should come with your filter kit. & That new filter kit may come with 2 gaskets. If so set them out before your get started & put something on top of them to press them out flat. & Some of the better gaskets have a few smaller holes so you can put a bolt in your pan & thread into the gasket paper material & hild it in place.
SO GET-R-DONE.