New to me '97 Ram 1500, what to look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hello. I just purchased a 1997 Ram 1500 4WD extended cab. It has the 5.2L V8. I purchased it from my parents. They just used it to tow their boat and run to the Home Depot, etc. It only has 76,000 miles on it. It is in good running order, I drove it on a day trip once to pick up an engine for a Mustang. Anyway, my dad had the typical 3000 mile oil changes done on it faithfully but I don't know that anything more has been done to it.

I am thinking of doing the following in order:
-change spark plugs
-change plug wires
-change distributor cap and rotor
-change PCV valve
-change air filter (probably just a paper filter, I don't see any need for a K&N on a stock engine)
-change oil and oil filter
-some sort of single exhaust catback (I don't really want duals)

Anything else I am forgetting about or need to look for? Any thoughts on an exhaust? Thanks for your time.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All good items there. Be sure to read the plenum sticky at the top of the page :)

For exhaust, what are you looking for in it? Loud? Quiet? What size?

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
All good items there. Be sure to read the plenum sticky at the top of the page :)

For exhaust, what are you looking for in it? Loud? Quiet? What size?

Not too quiet or loud, just a nice grumble that is a little louder than stock. I guess 2.5 inch diameter piping.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check out magnaflow and cherrybomb vortex sound clips on youtube. Thrush turbo or welded as well might be what you're after. Lots of different set-ups on there.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Read this as well.

http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

I personally have the Thrush 17715 Turbo, has a nice little growl to it that starts barking when it gets up there in RPMs. Doesn't sound the best from the outside, but sounds awesome inside. Since you have a 97, I would replace the tailpipe, as on those trucks, it's a 2.5 in tail. On 98+ trucks it's a 3 inch tailpipe. 3 inchers sound better and flow better. :D

Also, here's my exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAwu8f9_9A

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Update-I have changed the plugs and plug wires so far. It is so cold and my garage is separate from my house with no heat source that I don't feel like doing much else.

dodge dude94-I like the sound of your exhaust. I actually saw that sound clip on youtube before you posted it up. On your Thrush turbo muffler is it center in offset right out, or center in center out? Thanks.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Update-I have changed the plugs and plug wires so far. It is so cold and my garage is separate from my house with no heat source that I don't feel like doing much else.

dodge dude94-I like the sound of your exhaust. I actually saw that sound clip on youtube before you posted it up. On your Thrush turbo muffler is it center in offset right out, or center in center out? Thanks.

The Turbos are reversible, so it's a center and offset, doesn't matter which way it's flipped.

As for your plugs and wires, it running any better after that?

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
The Turbos are reversible, so it's a center and offset, doesn't matter which way it's flipped.

As for your plugs and wires, it running any better after that?

I put the basic Autolite copper plugs in it and used the Mopar wires and it runs great. However I did get a Check Engine light on the way to work this morning. I will plug into it later today and see what it is. Hopefully it is nothing major, I need to get it inspected.

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Well I plugged into it and it is a P0307 code, misfire on cylinder 7. Plugs and wires are fine. Guess I will change cap an rotor and hope that solves it. I am getting concerned, I hope it is not a cracked head or some other horror story I am reading about with that code.

I wish I could just clear the code for inspection and then work on it when I have more time.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I'd be changing the plugs and wires.
That's a start as you mentioned.

After that you'll need to re-route your wires per the TSB floating around somewhere on the internet....

Nevermind, found it for ya
TSB 18-48-98

I took the Autolite plugs out and put in some Champion RC12YC plugs. I also put dielectric grease in the wire caps. I did not do the routing of the wires per the TSB but I did get some Mr. Gasket wire looms and separated the wires well. Runs great now, no CEL-fingers crossed.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I took the Autolite plugs out and put in some Champion RC12YC plugs. I also put dielectric grease in the wire caps. I did not do the routing of the wires per the TSB but I did get some Mr. Gasket wire looms and separated the wires well. Runs great now, no CEL-fingers crossed.
Looming the wires entirely will definitely help. That's what the wire re-route TSB is for.

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I went with the Thrush 17715 muffler welded in place. It sounds good but is quiet!

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Good to hear!
I'm guessing you took it out to the stock tailpipe like I did?

Yes. The muffler shop just cut the stock muffler out and welded in the Thrush. Stock tailpipe still intact. As I have driven it more it seems to be getting a little louder. Sounds good.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yes. The muffler shop just cut the stock muffler out and welded in the Thrush. Stock tailpipe still intact. As I have driven it more it seems to be getting a little louder. Sounds good.

Cool. That's the cheap way to do it for sure.

And it will get a little louder, but not too bad. Mine has actually stayed fairly consistent since putting it on in 2012.

OP
OP
Larry_Flynt

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
It is about time for me to do an oil change. I searched some threads but found no consensus on oil and oil filter. I have always run Mobil oil and Wix filters in my other vehicles. My parents had always run Pennzoil 5-30 in the Dodge before I bought it. Should I keep the status quo and stay with the Pennzoil, or go with the Mobil, or do something totally different? Any oil and oil filters the Magnum engines really like?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I, personally, had been running Pennzoil 10W30 every time I had got it changed at the shops. Now I am running Chevron Delo 400LE 5W40 synthetic diesel oil. Truck seems to like it, idles quieter and oil pressure is better. I picked up a Wix filter when I got everything at the O'reilly's.
One thing to note about that is that you need another qt of oil when using the gallon. (grr)

Synthetics like to make things leak in an engine that had been using Dino oil for the longest time, so you might get that if you switch. In all honesty, if you go synthetic, go with 5W40. Another member, Merc225hp told me to go with that and I'm glad I listened.