New Truck Decisions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had to sell my 2016 this past year due to some financial stuff. But now, I'm back in the market again. Been looking at Rams, Tundras, and F150s. Really think I want another Ram. But, I have a couple of questions about year models.

1. Is the Hemi tick still a problem with the newer Classic/new body style motors?

2. What year did Ram add Apple CarPlay to the trucks?

3. Are there any advantages to going with the Gen 5 model over the Classic?

Looking at used, want to find another Big Horn/Lone Star or a Laramie.

Thanks!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For Hemi tick, think that some get it, many don't. Wouldn't shy away from buying one for that reason, I am on my 3rd Ram. But, if you are really concerned with it, then maybe Ram isn't the one to buy.

Not sure Car Play is same way, but 2018 was first year where you could use cable between phone and radio and use things like maps from phone with radio touchscreen allowing you to control the application.

For Classic versus Gen 5, my personal opinion is buy what you like the looks of. Think you can get a quality truck regardless.

Good luck

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5th gen rides even better and has an awesome interior although I still think the 4th gen looks better but that's pretty much all. I would still avoid the 12" as it still is glitchy 2 years later. My buddy has a 5th gen bought new in Aug 2019 that I've rode in probably 50 times and I've not once ever heard any valvetrain noise from it but he only has around 40K on it. If RAM offered the 6.4 SRT engine as an option I would consider buying one but not until they upgrade the powertrain again if ever. (retirement is fast approaching)

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven’t noticed Hemi tick in my 5th gen (only have around 3k miles on it ), 5th gen rides better, more storage, no issues with my 12” screen, with incentives the 5th big horns are really appealing but of course classic are probably still cheaper just depends on which one you like more. Personally I hated the 5th gen prior until I sat and drove one and seen one with the sport package and knew I had to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The "tick" does not come from the factory, I don't think. It's a small manifold leak that self-seals after the engine warms up. My 2016 had it. Just an annoyance.

Were there any major upgrades to the powertrain in the classics after 2016?

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haven’t noticed Hemi tick in my 5th gen (only have around 3k miles on it ), 5th gen rides better, more storage, no issues with my 12” screen, with incentives the 5th big horns are really appealing but of course classic are probably still cheaper just depends on which one you like more. Personally I hated the 5th gen prior until I sat and drove one and seen one with the sport package and knew I had to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just not a big fan of the new styling until you get up to the Laramie/Limited range. Even with incentives, just too many $$$.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had 4th gen BH and now have 5th gen Laramie w27,000 mi. No issues with either.

Loved the 4th but love the 5th even more. Interior & ride is amazing.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk