Newbie lift Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, got my first truck a year ago. 2011 RAM Bighorn
Love it, favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Stumbled upon the forumz while searching out lift kits. Well, you know where it went from there. Back and forth from 4-6". After a month or so, I have decided on a 4". Want to be able to park in the garage (7 ft). Spent the time doin the research myself, so dont have too many questions. I can get a superlift for around 1300 rught now. Its "on sale". Zone is gonna run 1600. But, u already know that. I will do the work myself, with the help of a mexhanic friend. Stock measurement is 36f/39.5r. Plan on doin 4" lift and bils @ 1.7-2.1. That will give me a total of 5.5-6"? Think it should still clear garage. As far as tire set up, gonna go with Fuel krank 20x9 or 20x10 -12 offset. Does this set up look ok? Also, any vendors on here chime in if you can get me a better deal. Money to burn... Thanks guys!

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking of running either 295/55/20 or 35x12.5 trail grapplers. But, that could change. It soumds like all directions are pretty straight forward with the kits. I'm a tinker by trade, but not a lot of experience wrenching. Anything common that people run into during these installs? Problem areas? Just want to be prepared.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
4" superlift with 35s looks good. 6" looks better :)

I recommend gettin bils front and back (if you didn't plan on it)... The superride shocks are harsh.

IMO

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on 6" and 37's. Fits in the garage.

Just FYI if that was a huge deciding factor. But as Austin b said 6" looks better.

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats up guys. I agree that 6" on 35's would be my first choice. How do you get away with a 6" and still clear a 7' door? Setting the bils at 0 or .7? I dont want more than about an inch of rake when all said and done.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's gonna come down to a numbers game for you.

If the garage is the deal breaker and you're wanting lil rake the 4" and 35's would be the way to go.

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, few more questions if you'd be so inclined. I have bils up front and was just planning on getting the reg shock kit with the superlft. I heard the reg bils for the back wont work with a lift? What would be a good shock for rear? Also, in regards to tire wheel set up. How far will I stick out with 20x10 -12 offset and 295/60/20 trail grapplers? Thanks guys

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
picture.php

6" Superlift. Go to auto accessories garage. They have coupons all the time. I got mine at Jegs because they had in stock and they price match. Paid $1177

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/

20x10 -12 LRG Sandman
35 x 12.50 Cooper ST Maxx

I just installed mine last weekend so here are some things I learned.

There are two different sets of instructions floating around for two different versions of the 6" superlift. I got the wrong instructions for mine but found the right one online.

If you do bilsteins don't screw up and put the washer under the nut like I did. It goes on the shaft first!

You will need a really short 13/16 open end wrench to get back shocks off. I cut one off at about 3".

When you first lower it to the ground dont freak out if one tire is pointing straight and the other is toed in like crazy. Also dont even try to measure the height difference until you back up and cut the wheels a few times. Scared the hell out of me since it measured 10" higher when i first lowered it down.

Will be glad to help with any other questions if you need it.

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks nice SOKY! Thanks for the heads up. Curious what your measurements are after the lift. Any chance you can fit a 7' garage? HA. Also, aprox how far are yr tires sticking out past ur fenders?

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
picture.php

6" Superlift. Go to auto accessories garage. They have coupons all the time. I got mine at Jegs because they had in stock and they price match. Paid $1177

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/

20x10 -12 LRG Sandman
35 x 12.50 Cooper ST Maxx

I just installed mine last weekend so here are some things I learned.

There are two different sets of instructions floating around for two different versions of the 6" superlift. I got the wrong instructions for mine but found the right one online.

If you do bilsteins don't screw up and put the washer under the nut like I did. It goes on the shaft first!

You will need a really short 13/16 open end wrench to get back shocks off. I cut one off at about 3".

When you first lower it to the ground dont freak out if one tire is pointing straight and the other is toed in like crazy. Also dont even try to measure the height difference until you back up and cut the wheels a few times. Scared the hell out of me since it measured 10" higher when i first lowered it down.

Will be glad to help with any other questions if you need it.

Off top your head what's the retaining/ axle nut size to take the hub off? 1 11/16 correct? My lift goes on Thursday once my kit comes in making sure I have everything I need from work before I start this..

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn my garage is 8ft I guess. I still have a good 3-4" or so with my setup. I thought all garages were the same.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Off top your head what's the retaining/ axle nut size to take the hub off? 1 11/16 correct? My lift goes on Thursday once my kit comes in making sure I have everything I need from work before I start this..
35mm I got a loaner set of axle nut impact sockets from oreilleys auto parts.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add this to your list of things to remember if you buy the superlift kit. Just found out the Rear superlift shock is supposed to be installed with the piston rod pointed up. Guess I know what i'll be doing tonight...

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add this to your list of things to remember if you buy the superlift kit. Just found out the Rear superlift shock is supposed to be installed with the piston rod pointed up. Guess I know what i'll be doing tonight...

I think they all do except fox shocks.

Mine goes on Thursday! Whoop whoop!!

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only the super ride, not the 5100 right? How did u find this out?

Mine goes on Thursday! Whoop whoop!!

I called superlift tech line. This is for the superride (white shocks) Not sure about the 5100's but I would find out before installing. Your teeth will thank you. I didn't really think it mattered but i guess the valving inside is different one way than the other. The instructions were along the lines of "step #563- Install shock".

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I read it wrong the first time when you posted it.