Newbie Needs Help! My truck is making a weird noise!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didnt know where to put this so let me apologize, im at a total loss here!!!

Ive got a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab.. when i get on it merging onto a highway, as shes climbing in RPM's about to switch gears i hear a weird screeching noise coming from the back of the truck somewhere! ive taken it to the dealer 3 times already and i get the old "could not replicate problem" from them meanwhile the guys ive taken in it for a drive from the service place all heard the noise but said they couldnt pinpoint it... has anyone had this issue!? also ive noticed at 50mph with the front windows down, it sounds like a whistling noise coming from possibly under the truck... i know im not crazy, i recorded the noise using the recorder thing on my truck when it shifts but i dont know how to upload it onto the web so i can post it here... please guys, if any of u can help me out here, im stumped!!! i posted this to another forum, and the thread got a ton of views but not one response! i took a video and posted it to youtube so you guys can hear it, hopefully someone has had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction heres the link to the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlHB1eLf0A

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
maybe a belt? i watched your video. Sounds like it could be a belt?????? crawl under there and poke around. probably something stupid.

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
they replaced a pulley on the motor because the belt was chirping, but that didnt fix this issue... im assuming it could be from the tranny or maybe the rear? im not sure... it sounds like it is from the back of the truck not the front

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Is it the sound at 11seconds? I'm having a hard time pin pointing witch sound your talking about.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the noise engine RPM dependent, or vehicle speed dependent - can you confirm that? I know you said 50mph... but are you sure it's related to vehicle speed?

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I couldn't hear anything except you moving the phone around.

Eliminate the obvious first. Crawl under and look at your wheels and brakes, exhaust couplings, drive shafts--nothing lose or rubbing?

You can get to 50 mph in lower gears, so try a couple runs in (tranny dependent) 2nd, 3rd etc. 4WD on and off, 4WD Auto on and off etc. I wouldn't mess with 4WD low.

Once you eliminate the obvious externals you'll have a better idea if its something internal.

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is it the sound at 11seconds? I'm having a hard time pin pointing witch sound your talking about.

Yeah its between 11 and 12 seconds, its not the clicking noise, the click is my hand... keep in mind, im driving trying to do this with out any bodys help... its that squeal between 11 and 12 seconds... it seems to be only around 50mph or so at wide open throttle (not fully floored but it does it then too)... its driving me nuts

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah its between 11 and 12 seconds, its not the clicking noise, the click is my hand... keep in mind, im driving trying to do this with out any bodys help... its that squeal between 11 and 12 seconds... it seems to be only around 50mph or so at wide open throttle (not fully floored but it does it then too)... its driving me nuts

So, at WOT, or partial throttle acceleration? WOT = "fully" floored...
I'm sorry, but you need to be significantly more thorough with your explanation. Also, "around 50mph" is this relative to the transmission upshifting into the next gear? Right before? Right after?

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, at WOT, or partial throttle acceleration? WOT = "fully" floored...
I'm sorry, but you need to be significantly more thorough with your explanation. Also, "around 50mph" is this relative to the transmission upshifting into the next gear? Right before? Right after?

did u watch the video and hear the noise? im not a mechanic so im doing my best here bro... it happens under hard accelerating, getting on a highway, getting around someone... not sure what gear its in, definitely not first or second.... 3 into 4 maybe?? sounds like its coming from the back of the truck.. i just bought this thing because i was in a really bad accident with my last truck, i had an 07 titan with 140,000 and no issues... i got hit head on by a girl texting and driving, she blew a light cut across 2 lanes of traffic and creamed me... now i got the truck i always wanted and its doing this crap lol... u may have to watch the video a few times, im not very tech smart so bare with me on my first youtube video lol its between 11 and 12 seconds (not the clicking noise, thats my hand)

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
did u watch the video and hear the noise? im not a mechanic so im doing my best here bro... it happens under hard accelerating, getting on a highway, getting around someone... not sure what gear its in, definitely not first or second.... 3 into 4 maybe?? sounds like its coming from the back of the truck.. i just bought this thing because i was in a really bad accident with my last truck, i had an 07 titan with 140,000 and no issues... i got hit head on by a girl texting and driving, she blew a light cut across 2 lanes of traffic and creamed me... now i got the truck i always wanted and its doing this crap lol... u may have to watch the video a few times, im not very tech smart so bare with me on my first youtube video lol its between 11 and 12 seconds (not the clicking noise, thats my hand)

I can sympathize man. I'm not trying to bring you down, I'm trying to probe for specific details, so myself, and everybody else can get a better idea on pointing you in the right direction.

I did hear the noise after listening again with headphones on.
I heard a faint "screech" sound while the engine was starting to rev up, well before a gear change. Literally on the 11th second. The screech sound lasts for about 1/2 a second. Doesn't sound like exhaust leak, or driveshaft/diff, brakes, tires... It could just be a belt slip as the engine is loading up.

You mentioned that the dealer wasn't able to replicate the noise, right? What about if you wen't back and did the driving for them? I understand that the issue is seemingly intermittent, but it might be your best shot.

Also, let us know where you're located - a forum member may be able to help you out in person.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would do as suggested limit the trans to a certain gear and see if it does it always at 50 or if it's just as it shifts. Limit the truck to 2nd and run it up to 50 and then let it shift to 3rd and see if it makes that sound then limit the truck into 3rd and get to 50 under the same circumstances and allow it to shift 3rd to 4th and see if it makes that sound. You will be able to tell what gear your in by watching rpm and knowing what your limited to. Say your driving at 30 and down shift untill the rpms go up 6th 5th 4th rpm jump you know your in 4th ect just do that untill your in 2nd and run it to 45 and then let it shift ( there is a decent amount of lag before it shifts so by telling it to shift at 45 it'll probably shift close to 50) and repeat in other gesrs. Best advice I can give you is to try to isolate the nosie. Something tells me it's coming from the trans but that doesn't mean your about to tear anything up so don't worry unless it's slipping just try to isolate the sound. Check for loose items in the engine bay like others said brakes drive shaft skip in anything drive line related. Please tell us more about your truck miles engine trans 2wd vs 4we ect it does make a difference

Or it could be belt related what did they change and did they put a new belt on it. Look for burnt rubber in the engine bay each time it cherps it has to lose some if it is a belt

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
im from long island bro, they replaced the pulley because the belt was slipping, but that wasnt the issue, that sound was from the front, this sounds like its more towards the back

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would do as suggested limit the trans to a certain gear and see if it does it always at 50 or if it's just as it shifts. Limit the truck to 2nd and run it up to 50 and then let it shift to 3rd and see if it makes that sound then limit the truck into 3rd and get to 50 under the same circumstances and allow it to shift 3rd to 4th and see if it makes that sound. You will be able to tell what gear your in by watching rpm and knowing what your limited to. Say your driving at 30 and down shift untill the rpms go up 6th 5th 4th rpm jump you know your in 4th ect just do that untill your in 2nd and run it to 45 and then let it shift ( there is a decent amount of lag before it shifts so by telling it to shift at 45 it'll probably shift close to 50) and repeat in other gesrs. Best advice I can give you is to try to isolate the nosie. Something tells me it's coming from the trans but that doesn't mean your about to tear anything up so don't worry unless it's slipping just try to isolate the sound. Check for loose items in the engine bay like others said brakes drive shaft skip in anything drive line related. Please tell us more about your truck miles engine trans 2wd vs 4we ect it does make a difference

Or it could be belt related what did they change and did they put a new belt on it. Look for burnt rubber in the engine bay each time it cherps it has to lose some if it is a belt

its a 2013 sport crew, 4x4.. (********* Ram Rod)... i tried it the other night in second gear, when she gets high in rpms she does it, same with 3rd gear makes the same noise at high rpm (i dont shift it, just keep it in that gear), it definitely sounds like its coming from the back, nothing up front

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So it's a rpm issue, I wonder if it has anything to do with the converter possibly what rpm does it do it at?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cancel out any intake whistling?

Kinda like how the k&n intakes do when slightly on the throttle.

IMO

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i can cancel out any noise from the front because i hear it from the rear of the truck (had a busy week last week, wasnt able to get on the computer) im not sure what RPM it happens around, ill pay attention to it today on the way home and post it later on

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's between 3000 and 4000 rpms getting onto the highway at around 50-55 mph before she shifts gears

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Only suggestion I have is to take it to the dealer and get the service adviser and the tech's to ride with you while you make it make the noise.

OP
OP
R

rammpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Only suggestion I have is to take it to the dealer and get the service adviser and the tech's to ride with you while you make it make the noise.

i took it to them to have the "tech's" ride along with me, lol they sent 2 guys, one sat up front, and the other sat in the back... their names were Hump and Lump... neither of them heard the noise, even after i pointed it out to them the 14 times that it did it.. i was like "THERE!, did you hear that!? There it is again!" the response i got was "i didnt hear nuffin" :banghead: