Newbie question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danielraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
-
Engine
-
Hi everyone guys!
I'm new here, I still have no Mopar on my hands, that's why I come here :)
I was a bit confused where i have to post my question so I hope this is the right place :)

I'm about tu buy a used Dodge Ram 1500, but I'm kinda indecisive on what truck gen should have to pick.
I do like the late 2nd gen with the 360 ci and the Hemi 3rd gen, I know both have some common problems, but not that seriuos or expensive to fix, and pretty simple to fix it by yourself.
So, I saw a couple ads of both trucks 2001 and 2004, respectively with a 360 and a Hemi 5.7, both are in the 10k $ range with 80.000 to 100.000 miles on it, I'm gonna be using this truck for long roadtrips and sometime in a while offroading maybe soft rock crawling, both trucks have a LPG gas system and I also now I can tweak up the motor with a Sct tune and a cold air intake, but first on the 2nd gen i have to fix the common plenum issue that's crucial.
What do you guys better recommend?
Thank you! :favorites13:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recommend the hemi over the 360 for road trips as you'll most likely get better gas mileage. What condition are both trucks in?

OP
OP
Danielraw

Danielraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
-
Engine
-
They're both in pretty mint conditions, no rust in the fender wells nor in the frame, but I'm leaning towards the 360 just because.
the only thing that I don't really like in the Hemi is the MDS feature, that thing you can shut off 4 cyl, don't really know exactly how it works, but i heard some friends had issues with that, like when towing on perfectly flat ground the MDS kicked in and out several times.
Can some one explain me if this MDS system kicks in manually or automatically?
Thanks!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
They didn't put MDS in the Ram 1500 until 2006 so you should be good there. If it were me I would go for the 5.7L Hemi, one disadvantage being they are more expensive to modify or repair than the 360.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
Honestly... buy the best you can afford, let the rest fall into place. The hemi is most popular, other than that whatever you have you will just have to learn what will and won’t work. From what I've gathered here I have the oddball combo of the Ram world, an 03’ 4.7. Not saying it’s a terrible truck, but NOT something people would recommend compared to other models. Best of luck on whatever you choose, the guys on this forum are amazingly helpful. Welcome

Last edited:

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a huge fan of my 03 hemi. 140000 miles and still have the right foot power when I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Danielraw

Danielraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
-
Engine
-
I've been out of the forum for a while, but in the meantime i made my decision and I finally bought the ram!
it's a 2005 Ram 1500 HEMI Big Horn edition with just 48k miles, I payed it a little bit more than I expected but it's money well spent! I'm so happy with it!
th old owner removed the cat converters for a little more free-flowing exhaust, but when I was cruising on the highway obviously the check engine light lit up, not worried about it, but i wanna ask you, can the spark plug non-fouler trick can fool the ECU?
thanks alot!

Attachments

• 20150115_140904[1].jpg
    20150115_140904[1].jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 26

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HI Danielraw,

Welcome and congrats on that Hemi they are awesome motors. You said the cats are out, did he do anything with the O2 sensors 'cause that will definitely throw a code in short order. Just sayin'

Anyway welcome and enjoy.

preachp

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a good lookin truck!

IMHO, you can't go wrong getting a 3rd/4th Gen with a HEMI in it.

As far as the spark plug non fouler...
Are you talking about the tips that you can put on the spark plugs if you have leaky valve seals that prevent the oil from getting onto the spark plug electrode?

I had an old '79 Camaro with the original 305 that smoked like a freight train when you let off the gas. So I put some spark plug non foulers on it. Ran like crap.
Took them back off.

I believe you may be talking about the cat delete mod.

Can't help you there. I read somewhere on the forums about the mod but it's been awhile and I had no interest in doing the mod so I forgot all about the details.

But nice truck :)
Welcome to the RAM pack.

OP
OP
Danielraw

Danielraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
-
Engine
-
That's a good lookin truck!

IMHO, you can't go wrong getting a 3rd/4th Gen with a HEMI in it.

As far as the spark plug non fouler...
Are you talking about the tips that you can put on the spark plugs if you have leaky valve seals that prevent the oil from getting onto the spark plug electrode?

I had an old '79 Camaro with the original 305 that smoked like a freight train when you let off the gas. So I put some spark plug non foulers on it. Ran like crap.
Took them back off.

I believe you may be talking about the cat delete mod.

Can't help you there. I read somewhere on the forums about the mod but it's been awhile and I had no interest in doing the mod so I forgot all about the details.

But nice truck :)
Welcome to the RAM pack.

Thank you!
Ya, that's exactly what those are made for, but they can also be used as a "spacer" for the exit O2 sensors so they read less flowing gasses and fool the ECU so you don't get a code, I know this trick worked on some other cars, but I wonder if it will work on a Ram before i go to the part store and get those.

OP
OP
Danielraw

Danielraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
-
Engine
-
I have another question, when i try to shift my t-case from 2H to 4L rolling at 2 o 3 mph it feels really really rough, I wonder if it is just me or i just have to learn the exact point of engagement?
Thank you!

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can't go to 4L while rolling. You need to have the truck running, tranny on Neutral, engage the 4L and then put it back in Drive. It might be a few feet before the 4L actually engages. The T-Case will find it's way, but only 4H can be engage while the truck is rolling.

Hope this helps.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my Jeep days, I learned to put the vehicle in neutral while rolling (very slow roll) while putting it into low range. It helps prevent any binding. I have found that being at a full stop can make it difficult to get into low.