NOS 04 Ram 4 x 4 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newbie here, so bear with and I will bring things up to speed.(hopefully this is the correct place to post this)

I am the original owner of a 5.7l Hemi quad cab short box 4 x 4. The truck came with 3:55 gears and a very strange tire combo that I was unaware of until recently. More on that later.

It has been a Phenomenal truck for the past 14 years and as fate would have it, still in practically new condition! No accidents, only 110,000kms and very well maintained.

Up until a year ago I had only done the transfer case seal, other than regular maintenance, plugs/ filters/ fluids.

about a year ago I noticed the oil pan leaking from rusting through which I thought was strange, but after doing some research it seemed like the factory either used badly manufactured pans or they were just coated poorly. I ended up replacing the oil pan and did the trans pan as well as it had begun to seep. Also gave me a chance to service the trans filters and complete fluid change.

Brakes still had life, but pads were looking old and brittle and rotors rusty so did the brakes all around.

Only mods I did to truck when I first got it were Superchips tuner and I modded the interm. exhaust pipe where the two meet and opened it up for better flow as well as replaced the factory muffler with a straight through resonator.

Truck has always averaged 16-17mpg with 70/30 to 60/40 hwy/city driving which seemed pretty good to me.(a few less during winter where it's spending time warming up)

Any time I looked up mpg on the forums, I always seemed to be doing as good as the best out there and better than most. I originally contributed this mostly to my driving. Although the resent discovery of optional tire sizes has painted a slightly different picture on things.

I had always assumed that there were only 2 tire rim/size options for my truck in 04. The 17's and 245/70/17 tires I had, and the 20" rims with 275/60/20's. It always struck me strange that such a small tire was put on such a big truck and I always thought other Rams looked different than mine. Tires always seemed to fill the wheel wells better.

Anyway, was time to buy some new skins last fall and it was while I was searching on the net that I came across the factory 17" size being a 265/70/17. A buddy of mine had same 04 Ram 4 x 4 but with the 20" rims and I was looking for a larger tire to look more appropriate on the Ram.

All of a sudden, things started to make a little more sense. I was reading threads where owners were going down to the 17" tire/rim combo for better mpg (less rotating mass) and I was finding that almost no one seemed to have the little 245's my Ram had been running. So if they were finding better mpg going down to 265/70/17's, I could only imagine how much better things got with the 245's. Lighter, lower to the ground as well as better gearing to boot!

So I think I finally answered the question of why my mpg have always been quite good with this Ram. Also the reason I stopped where I was and didn't do any more modding. Too much mixed info on the net, truck was under warrantee ect and it was doing well just the way it was. My thinking back then was any modds I was going to do had to increase mpg or at the very least, not hurt them.

Fast forward 14 years and the Ol Ram is still like new, owes me nothing x 10 and is free as far as I'm concerned.

Time to have some fun!

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should also add that while I resisted most of the modding I thought I would be doing, (E fan, CAI, Cat back exhaust) I did add a few accessories.

SS tubular step bars, bedside and tailgate protectors as well as Tonneau cover.

About 5 years ago I noticed a few stone chips starting in the wheel wells, so I added some subtle flares to protect the inner wheel wells from further damage.

Here's what she looked like in 04 with the 245/ 17's.

Ram 2004.jpg

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I was saying, this all started last fall while looking into a new set of tires. Was looking for something a little larger and really wasn't expecting things to go the way they did.

I have been off and on the net over the years, seeing what others have done/ think ect and had concluded that if I ever replaced the 17's it would have to be with something lighter, as the consensus on the 20's was that they were much worse on fuel.

Funny how things can change over a little time. I thought about trading the Hemi in when the eco diesel first came out. The mileage just sounded too good to be true! Then I took the time to do a little calculating. Hemi vs the eco diesel and the price tag that would come with it vs difference in mpg = if I live to 100 it would never pay for itself! lol

I think that's when I knew I would have this truck for at least another 10 years, but it's always nice having something new/ different. :)

So when a set of 20's fell into my lap I had to at least try them on for size.

I bolted 2 of them on one side of the truck and left the other side with the 17's for comparison. Should have taken pics! Started at them for about 10min. Showed the wife, that was it! There was no going back after seeing the difference!

Most bizarre part of it all; My 17's were still in such good shape that I sold them to a guy with a newer Ram that was looking for the lighter rims to gain a few mpg, so in the end, my new tires and rims almost cost me nothing!

The Ram as she sits now;

20170916_125937_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, once I bowed down to the look of the truck being more important to me now than mpg, well that just opens up a whole can of worms! (kind of)

What I've noticed since 20's went on. Over all mpg slightly down, maybe 2mpg but no more than that for sure.

Truck definitely feels under geared now, but still has decent power. I mostly feel the under gear at 1/3 - 2/3 accel. Just feathering it through traffic and not so noticeable. Floor it and it still pulls!

All and all I'm fine with it, but I owe it to the truck to make it into something new.

So before I became a member I searched around and have been doing some research.

First on the list is leveling the front so it doesn't sit as low as it is now.

2nd on the list is going to be new gears front and back.

I'm looking to make the Hemi as fun to drive as I can while still maintaining as reasonable mpg as possible.

Should make for some interesting debates ;)

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the lift I think I can keep it simple and just lift the front about 2" with the factory hardware. Want it more level, but still want a slight rake so it's not squatted while towing ect.

Is there any good reason I should consider changing up to these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-Forged-Torsion-Bar-Key-Lift-Kit-02-05-1-3-Suspension-Leveling-4X4-4WD/152453467061?fits=Year:2004|Make:Dodge|Model:Ram+1500&hash=item237eef4bb5:g:ynEAAOSwtnpaEoVR&vxp=mtr

I figure level it, check/ adjust alignment with Bilstein's all around and should be good :)

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whish list for engine mods;

Sultans of spark coil packs

AEM CAI or other (possibly Vararam)

E fan

Under drive pulley (ATI?)

1 5/8" LT headers with proper cross section to increase TQ below 3000rpm

Last edited:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
For the lift I think I can keep it simple and just lift the front about 2" with the factory hardware. Want it more level, but still want a slight rake so it's not squatted while towing ect.

Is there any good reason I should consider changing up to these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-Forged-Torsion-Bar-Key-Lift-Kit-02-05-1-3-Suspension-Leveling-4X4-4WD/152453467061?fits=Year:2004|Make:Dodge|Model:Ram+1500&hash=item237eef4bb5:g:ynEAAOSwtnpaEoVR&vxp=mtr

I figure level it, check/ adjust alignment with Bilstein's all around and should be good :)

You don’t really need the keys, just tighten the adjustment screws on the torsion keys by 8 turns. Each turn is close to 1/4” of lift. I’ve been running that on my truck for a year and a half without issues. Just get an alignment after you do it

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don’t really need the keys, just tighten the adjustment screws on the torsion keys by 8 turns. Each turn is close to 1/4” of lift. I’ve been running that on my truck for a year and a half without issues. Just get an alignment after you do it

Excellent!

Did you end up running longer shocks in order to do this? Or do the stock length shock accommodate the extra 2" of lift?

Just want to make sure I know which Bilsteins to order.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Excellent!

Did you end up running longer shocks in order to do this? Or do the stock length shock accommodate the extra 2" of lift?

Just want to make sure I know which Bilsteins to order.

I did use the Bilstein 4600 that accommodated the extra 2”. I don’t remember a part number though 78c0c7e3f3f2b83871136615649244c6.jpg

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update;

Been buying all the parts for my upgrades over the past year and a half.

Finally have a lift to use for the next week or so. Going to try to get everything done over that time and will update as things go together.

First up, DNA SS 1 5/8" 2WD headers.

Will they fit an 04 4x4!!????

OP
OP
Ram04

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cpl pics but more to come tomorrow. Was surprised to see just how rusty the exhaust manis and bolts were on this ol girl given only 120,000kms now. Was a little concerned about the stories I'd read about breaking bolts.

I sprayed them all down in Kroil but I think the trick is I took my time, starting with the 10mm heads and within 1 or 2 turns back and forth the crust came off and socket was loose. Tapped on a 6 point 3/8" and was nice and tight. continued carefully and off they came. I think I only had to drop from 3/8 to 9mm on one because it was extra crusty.

The 13mm bolt I did the same, Always 6 point sockets and some came with the 13mm 6 point, some crusted off and I dropped to a tapped on 12mm and off they came.

My biggest concern with these being listed 2wd only was the pass side. Looking at as many pics as I could, the pass side header looked the most different with 2 pipes going further back and down than any I had seen before. Visually it looked like there would be space and they did that to clear pass side starter?

Long story short, they fit like a Glove! I thought I would at least have to dent some areas or something, but man, they bolt on and clear everything with zero modification!

Also thought I would be pulling out the dremel to clean up poor welds, weld splatter or have to port match like just about every other header I've seen, but these things are so well made that there's nothing to do, and I'm a Very attention to detail guy!

I'm going to be purposefully negative as if I were comparing these to the best header I could buy at any price to give an accurate comparo;

The Good;

Full 3/8" mild steel flange. You want a 304 SS header, but you want the flange mild steel unless it's cut or you cut it yourself because it will move around enough to snap bolt, just how SS moves.

1 5/8" 16 gauge 304SS tubing. (This is the only 1 5/8" header I can find. anything larger would be wasted on my application)

Pipes run right through flange and nicely welded top and bottom on outside and continuous on inside.

Proper 100% port matched square flange with ends of pipes enlarged and shaped to match ports. (this is Da Bomb and something I haven't found in any headers I looked at!)

Gaskets that came actually look very good and I believe I am going to copper spray them and use. (was not original plan because of what I've read, but going with gut on this one)

Gaskets are a perfect match for header ports and perfectly line up with exhaust ports on Hemi, leaving about 3/32" evenly around port for zero overlap and perfect entrance to header!

Collectors are inside welded nicely ass well.

The Bad;

Not equil length. (not bad for me because that usually mean more tork!)

While the bends are decent, not 100% perfect mandrel and some sharper than you would want in a race header. (which simply means, Again, more tork and slightly less top end HP flow)

Collectors are nicely inside welded, but lacking cross hair deflector to make it Perfect. (I said I was going to get picky to give an over all picture, so yeah, really no difference there but in a full out 1000+ dollar set of headers you would want to see that.)

Big shout out and Thanks to Max1329 Who has these headers on his Ram and has been most helpful, anserwing every Q I've had along the way!

Can't think of anything else right now, any Q's or requests just ask, more pics and info tomorrow!

20190916_175726.jpg

20190916_175733.jpg

20190916_175835.jpg

20190916_175855.jpg

20190916_180252.jpg

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't see how smaller tires would help with MPG, honestly. Yes, they might have slightly lower rotating mass, but they also have a smaller circumference. That means more RPMs required for a given speed. More RPMs = more fuel usually.

I'll be looking into those headers for my '04 for sure.