Not to stir the pot to much

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Well, as I'm not considering getting a tune of any kind, The sad truth is, Ram has the potential to outperform most anything on the track, new and out of the box". Sadly, they don't and that is where it ****** me off. Spent a lot of money for a Ram with the Hemi and have tricked it a few times and know it "easily" stock could , and I feel should, perform better and also get much better mpg as well. Look at the Charger, they have a "performance mode" that can be selected. Why not on the Ram truck. Also, transmission gearing, especially on the 25/3500 series. Think that as they are being run from out of the US, they are disconnected from what we here think a "truck" should be. Look at F and C, they don't, my opinion, have the engines but using the correct factory tune and also having a transmission geared properly, are pulling ahead fast. Worse, not seeing anything from Ram on the horizon showing any concern and or performance mods. Think the time has come where having a "Ram emblem" on the grill isn't cutting it. My thought, time to start putting some of the heat on Ram Corp. They have the engines, transmissions, and body, now they need to start using the proper combo's. Just my thoughts.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
Some of us like the 3.92, then again, I'm running a 30.2" tire which give me an effective 4.10 and a 4.43 on my 28" DRs. Which ever way you go, having a larger effective gear ratio makes a big difference in your get up and go and the higher the better for getting off the line.

I'm glad you said this...I'm effectively in the same boat and have always wondered what gearing I actually have... run 30's on street and 28's on track... I guess that new set of 4.56's will collect dust in my garage :)

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I'm glad you said this...I'm effectively in the same boat and have always wondered what gearing I actually have... run 30's on street and 28's on track... I guess that new set of 4.56's will collect dust in my garage :)

You could have a lot of fun with a 4.89:1 ratio though. I'm not saying you'll hook, but you'll have fun. Downside is you'd probably run out of gear and will shift into 4th before the end of the 1/4 unless you can spin it higher than 6800.

I love using this effective ratio calculator
http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.php

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I know someone who would buy those gears off you :naughty:

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could have a lot of fun with a 4.89:1 ratio though. I'm not saying you'll hook, but you'll have fun. Downside is you'd probably run out of gear and will shift into 4th before the end of the 1/4 unless you can spin it higher than 6800.

I love using this effective ratio calculator
4Lo.com :: Tire Size Change, New Gear Ratio Calculator

Is 6800 even possible without totally upgrading the Air and valve train. With my upgrades, I can only make power through 6200-6400. Forced air/NOS, I can see it, but I don't see it N/A? 6800 would be nice, but it's taking in a lot of air. SRV is definitly gonna need to be tuned. I'm facing this issue right now.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Is 6800 even possible without totally upgrading the Air and valve train. With my upgrades, I can only make power through 6200-6400. Forced air/NOS, I can see it, but I don't see it N/A? 6800 would be nice, but it's taking in a lot of air. SRV is definitly gonna need to be tuned. I'm facing this issue right now.

It was more of a comment of the need to spin it to 6800 to keep from shifting into 4th with an effective 4.89:1 gear ratio, which currently isn't a possibility with the computer. I know some cars doing it but the truck's computer doesn't allow you to spin higher than 6500 without some special tweaking to the hard rev limiter.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I shift my truck at 6600-6800 at the track. On the street, I'm shifting closer to 6400 though. Motor has held up so far, and track times definitely improved over the 6200 rpm shift points.

The stock 5.7 isn't making power at that high rpm, but the higher shift recovery is helping the overall ET. Pair that up with some 4.10/4.56 gears, a 3000+ stall converter, and a 28" tire, and you've got a mean combo on your hands.