Observations from a 2WD Sport to a 4WD Laramie after 2,000 miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Traded my 2015 Sport 2WD for a new 2017 Laramie 4WD and although I didn’t expect too much difference, other than being able to back our trailer up gravel incline, I was more than surprised by the way it towed our 3800 (before loading) pound trailer on our recent 1200 mile camping trip. It tracks much better-this with same tires and rims no less. Seems to handle trailer much better through all speeds and terrain. Truck also feels more solid when not towing.......definitely more planted. Not saying that my Sport couldn’t handle it, but my towing is a much more relaxing experience. A few other things: Leather seats although the same look, are heavier thicker hides in the Laramie. Had to replace my driver side seat cover under warranty in the Sport. Don’t think my Alpine sounds quite as good as in the Sport though......perhaps more Chinese components? Also some paint areas in my 2017 are suspect-my white Sport paint was thicker in the door jams. Gas mileage down about a mile and a half per gallon despite same gearing, but I expected that. And where’s my leather owners manual cover? I got vinyl, lol. Overall enjoying the upgrade.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you tow a lot you might consider a Hellwig sway bar. It may improve how your truck feels while towing and also just for normal driving. Congrat's on the upgrade.
Jay

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you tow a lot you might consider a Hellwig sway bar. It may improve how your truck feels while towing and also just for normal driving. Congrat's on the upgrade.
Jay

Ridiculous improvement while cornering

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the upgrade, I never considered a 2wd here where I live

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jay
I've seen hellwig swaybar mentioned alot lately, but which one front, rear, or both?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen hellwig swaybar mentioned alot lately, but which one front, rear, or both?

I answered my own question. 4x4 only needs a rear apparently Ram uses a beafy one up front already.

Heimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not beefy enough. My truck is daily town driven and just recently had the last 3-4 inches snap off on the passenger side. I have around 70,000 miles and it is the larger of the two options (36mm).

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not beefy enough. My truck is daily town driven and just recently had the last 3-4 inches snap off on the passenger side. I have around 70,000 miles and it is the larger of the two options (36mm).

Really? Hmm...got 41K on my Reb and it's mostly a commuter, too, but the front sway seems fine to me. Of course, it's pretty stock in the suspension department (air ride and only slightly larger wheels...17x9 vs. 17x8).

TXCOMT