Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After reviewing this entire thread, I plan on getting a Catch Can soon from Moe's. I actually just got a call from the dealer that they did not hear the tick in my 2015 5.7 with ~30,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping this truck for a while and want to take good care of it. I am nervous about the tick and plan to bring it back again soon. Saturday she is getting some new tires and then catch can will be ordered. Great thread with good info. One question I have and it may be amateur but where does the oil go and sit when there is not a OCC system? How does one rid themselves of what has gone through?
The oil.doesnt sit anywhere , it goes into your air intake plenum ( top center section of the engine ) where the large air tube from your filtered air enters .
Then the nasty mucky water/oil mist gets mixed with you clean filtered air and clean filtered gas to start the combustion in stage one !
The absolute worst place for all that nasty oily crap to ever be .

Go to www.oilcatchcan.com

This will give you all the info you need to know about the engine PVC System ( Positive Crankcase Vent )

Remember it's never to early or late to install an Oil Catch Can .

Hope this helps !

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed my catch can at 34k miles (bought the truck used). I attached a picture of the throttle body. Pretty damn clean.

20161218_123021.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excellent and the catch can will help it stay that way!

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed my catch can at 34k miles (bought the truck used). I attached a picture of the throttle body. Pretty damn clean.

View attachment 81530

LOL , Of course that side is gonna be clean , if it's not then you have other issues
The other side of your intake flapper is where the crap starts but most of the nasty stuff and carbon build up is much deeper , you can see some of it with a bright light and small dental mirror .

The best way to really know how much buildup you have is to remove the intake manifold ( I do not recommend this )

Either way installing the OCC at 34k isn't bad at all !

I installed mine at 22k at that time I had litle vissual build up inside the plenum ( that I could see)

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL , Of course that side is gonna be clean , if it's not then you have other issues
The other side of your intake flapper is where the crap starts but most of the nasty stuff and carbon build up is much deeper , you can see some of it with a bright light and small dental mirror .

The best way to really know how much buildup you have is to remove the intake manifold ( I do not recommend this )

Either way installing the OCC at 34k isn't bad at all !

I installed mine at 22k at that time I had litle vissual build up inside the plenum ( that I could see)
Lol. Right.

I did look inside, as much as I could with my phone light and no mirror. Finger swab yielded little residue.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good deal your in good shape Sir just as I was , I do wish I'd installed my occ sooner

I installed one on my wife's 16 Challenger RT Plus with the 5.7L @ just under 900 total miles , I ordered it 3 wks before we recived the car from the factory with ambitions to install it as soon as we got home , but the special order color took 6 weeks from Billet Technologies

After seeing all the crap that my occ was catching there was no way I was not gonna put one on her car !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had two catch cans on my Focus ST. PVC side and crankcase side. Where are you guys installing on the Ram?
Here's mine , I mounted it in an unused threaded hole in the area I needed one
I didn't have any install instructions with my occ , pretty sure if you buy new they would have instructions.
I purchased a new one for my wife's car and it came with great instructions.

57e08b082d60abde6e98c08962e4259e.jpg

25eafcb96c758b554dac4b63c3d5b269.jpg

11c11747cd6c7a748ed33d9c7ddc79b1.png

647aa8259d71ec1d217cdfe8df688321.jpg

Last edited:

knightblaze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question.

New owner on a 16 1500 CC Bighorn and I've been reading the forums and Reddit up and down, left and right and still have questions.

Would elongating the hoses cause an issue? Given its cold as heck in the winter and really windy on the mountain (Sussex County NJ) I really don't feel like opening the hood in the winter. Can I potentially run longer hoses to a remote location that's easier to access without throwing codes?

If this amount of oil (and other items) is being collected then I imagine you would need to top the oil off at certain intervals as well?

Judging by what I've read, I drive approx 25k miles a year and I do granny it on the highway (23 mpgs) I would probably have to drain it every 2-3 weeks.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question.

New owner on a 16 1500 CC Bighorn and I've been reading the forums and Reddit up and down, left and right and still have questions.

Would elongating the hoses cause an issue? Given its cold as heck in the winter and really windy on the mountain (Sussex County NJ) I really don't feel like opening the hood in the winter. Can I potentially run longer hoses to a remote location that's easier to access without throwing codes?

If this amount of oil (and other items) is being collected then I imagine you would need to top the oil off at certain intervals as well?

Judging by what I've read, I drive approx 25k miles a year and I do granny it on the highway (23 mpgs) I would probably have to drain it every 2-3 weeks.
Ha ha , mountains in Sussex Co , New Jersey , LOL !
That's too funny !

Mountains in New Jersey , wow !
I lived in Old Brige for a while and have been in NJ visiting the in-laws about 25 times ..... no mountains.

Hills at best .

25k a year , you'll need to dump it about every 3 months ( ish ). Only once between oil changes Sir .

knightblaze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha ha , mountains in Sussex Co , New Jersey , LOL !
That's too funny !

Mountains in New Jersey , wow !
I lived in Old Brige for a while and have been in NJ visiting the in-laws about 25 times ..... no mountains.

Hills at best .

25k a year , you'll need to dump it about every 3 months ( ish ). Only once between oil changes Sir .

Well there are mountains, not the kind like on the west coast lol. I live on a "hilly" part of Sparta so even the lightest breeze seems like a hurricane force wind lol.

Appreciate the input though, also what are your thoughts about OCC's in the winter, been reading a lot and heard horror stories about the condensation/water vapor in the cans. This a potential issue?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well there are mountains, not the kind like on the west coast lol. I live on a "hilly" part of Sparta so even the lightest breeze seems like a hurricane force wind lol.

Appreciate the input though, also what are your thoughts about OCC's in the winter, been reading a lot and heard horror stories about the condensation/water vapor in the cans. This a potential issue?
No worries Sir .
Winter time does create more condensation in the oil for all of us , but especially for us that do shorter trips and shutting off the engine for any period of time .

Basically anytime you do not get your oil temperature above the boiling point of water ( 212° f ) you are churning up condensation (water) in your crankcase .
The winter time with lower outside air temps , this is a more abundant issue .

Hope this helps !

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No worries Sir .
Winter time does create more condensation in the oil for all of us , but especially for us that do shorter trips and shutting off the engine for any period of time .

Basically anytime you do not get your oil temperature above the boiling point of water ( 212° f ) you are churning up condensation (water) in your crankcase .
The winter time with lower outside air temps , this is a more abundant issue .

Hope this helps !

Something I am noticing in the winter now... only getting it up to 195 with my 180T thermostat... even after a few WOTs it doesn't wanna get much hotter. Summer I could get it there 212 making the truck work though. I have about 20-30 minute commutes too when I drive to work

Does the catch can catch water too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk