Oil Catch Can ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, Mike - there is carbon buildup on intake valves on port injected engines.

hmm. specifically what engine you talking about or all in general ?
at 100k you can see the valve perfectly clean on a 1.8 toyota

Screenshot-20231220-155009-Gallery.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
hmm. specifically what engine you talking about or all in general ?
at 100k you can see the valve perfectly clean on a 1.8 toyota

View attachment 533801

Maybe your engine runs clean with zero oil carryover from your PCV? Maybe it has a coalescing PCV, unlike many US cars (cheaper)? How would I know?

Engines that don't have coalescing breathers will develop intake valve deposits. There is no such thing as a zero blowby piston engine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe your engine runs clean with zero oil carryover from your PCV? Maybe it has a coalescing PCV, unlike many US cars (cheaper)? How would I know?

Engines that don't have coalescing breathers will develop intake valve deposits. There is no such thing as a zero blowby piston engine.
He's trying to suck everybody in,that heads been rebuilt or very well cleaned,but i'm leaning towards rebuilt with new valves,as there's no traces of guide wear on the valve or oil staining on the valve stem

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
He's trying to suck everybody in,that heads been rebuilt or very well cleaned,but i'm leaning towards rebuilt with new valves,as there's no traces of guide wear on the valve or oil staining on the valve stem

I was going to comment on that, but figured I'd behave myself. For a change.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the head is not rebuilt. the injector washes the valves. simple as that. theres a light oil film on the runner walls but its harmless. the plenum had oil settled at the bottom. not alot but again ,harmless. for 15yr i would of expected worse but that just isnt what i saw. the pcv is nothing out of the ordinary. certainly not the type that can capture oil vapor.
sorry to disappoint all you 'experts'

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
the head is not rebuilt. the injector washes the valves. simple as that. theres a light oil film on the runner walls but its harmless. the plenum had oil settled at the bottom. not alot but again ,harmless. for 15yr i would of expected worse but that just isnt what i saw. the pcv is nothing out of the ordinary. certainly not the type that can capture oil vapor.
sorry to disappoint all you 'experts'
Don't feel bad,but i for one,don't really put much stock in what you're saying,especially about that head in your picture :Big Laugh: Why would you pull the head if there's nothing wrong with it,other then to rebuild it.Good try bud,but some of us weren't born yesterday:cheers:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i didnt pull the head off. the 1.8 from early 2000s used oring intake gasket that after many years they sometimes dried out and leaked. toyota recognised this and updated to a new version with different type of rubber.
mine was not leaking but i keep my vehicles in top mechanical shape and for preventative reasons i installed the updated oring gasket.
as i said before , light oil film was on runner walls and some collected in the plenum bottom. harmless however. ill also have you know the piston tops looked great as well ,not a hint of oil on the plugs either.
not trick photography. no photo chop.
what motivation would i have for detering you people from buying catch cans ? none at all

20191012-150351.jpg

20191012-143621.jpg

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
another thing people fail to realize. in a good running engine we are only talking a medicine drop amount of oil every few miles in each cylinder.
all they see is a 8oz cup at each oil change then freak out.
so much of this stuff is over blown

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive gave you photos exactly of what my engine looked like when the manifold came off and you still refuse to believe port injection washes the valves clean. seeing it in your own garage with your own eyes would make no difference to a person such as yourself

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ive gave you photos exactly of what my engine looked like when the manifold came off and you still refuse to believe port injection washes the valves clean. seeing it in your own garage with your own eyes would make no difference to a person such as yourself
Apparently you don't like reading,and i'm guessing have never ran a catch can,lol.What comes out of the crankcase coats the throttle body and the inside of the intake manifold,while also dropping the effective octane rating of the fuel you're using.I bet you've never cleaned the throttle body on a Hemi either have you. I'm out,as no matter what you think or say about a catch can(which is wrong ,lol),does nothing to change my mind,or anyone elses mind who is running a catch can.
Little tidbit for you,the Hellcats are port injected and run a factory air/oil seperator(aka a catc can),but they dump the residual back into the oil pan,as Ma Mopar knows the average owner probably won't stay on top of maintaining a seperate stand alone catch can

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Apparently you don't like reading,and i'm guessing have never ran a catch can,lol.What comes out of the crankcase coats the throttle body and the inside of the intake manifold,while also dropping the effective octane rating of the fuel you're using.I bet you've never cleaned the throttle body on a Hemi either have you. I'm out,as no matter what you think or say about a catch can(which is wrong ,lol),does nothing to change my mind,or anyone elses mind who is running a catch can.
Little tidbit for you,the Hellcats are port injected and run a factory air/oil seperator(aka a catc can),but they dump the residual back into the oil pan,as Ma Mopar knows the average owner probably won't stay on top of maintaining a seperate stand alone catch can

Since I never heard of a "catch can" before this thread started, if it's so important of a part why is it not a standard feature on the Hemi?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Since I never heard of a "catch can" before this thread started, if it's so important of a part why is it not a standard feature on the Hemi?
You ask a lot of questions that you can easily find answers for yourself using your favorite search engine and a little of your own time. Hell, @Wild one even provided links, so you don't even have to "google" anything yourself. Your question has been asked and answered in numerous threads, including this one.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, apparently that was funny to some of you but it was a serious question.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You ask a lot of questions that you can easily find answers for yourself using your favorite search engine and a little of your own time. Hell, @Wild one even provided links, so you don't even have to "google" anything yourself. Your question has been asked and answered in numerous threads, including this one.
I'm not going back through 12 pages and sifting through every single response. I know what it's for from reading some of the posts, but going by what I recall from the few times I've looked at this thread I don't recall anyone saying why the Hemi doesn't come with one if it's so important.

And what "lot of questions" are you referring to? I seldom ask a question in here.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's the last line of my post that you've high lighted say ;) :Big Laugh:.
Air/oil seperators are standard features on the Hellcats. Buy a set of Hellcat valve covers if you want a factory air/oil seperator,but most of us just buy a seperate stand alone catch can,and dump it on a regular basis,way cheaper then the hellcat valve covers:waytogo:.Plus changing plugs with the Hellcat covers is even tougher then changing them with the standard non air/oil seperator valve covers

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's the last line of my post that you've high lighted say ;) :Big Laugh:.
Air/oil seperators are standard features on the Hellcats. Buy a set of Hellcat valve covers if you want a factory air/oil seperator,but most of us just buy a seperate stand alone catch can,and dump it on a regular basis,way cheaper then the hellcat valve covers:waytogo:

I guess should have specified, since this is a RAM forum. Why isn't a catch can part of standard equipment on the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis they put in their trucks? It would simply be like making it part of the standard equipment and add it to the maintenance schedule like changing your oil. Everyone knows they need to change their oil, and based on the posts I've read here it's a simpler procedure to maintain than even that.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
OK, apparently that was funny to some of you but it was a serious question.
Brother, I'm just going to say it...
The reason that OEM's don't put catch cans on their engines is that their service departments would suffer greatly!
Pretty much everything is designed to fail these days!

The other part of this, as @Wild one has indicated, is that the majority of vehicle owners would not ever dump the catch can. Do you know what happens when that can fills and the engine vacuum starts sucking in oil instead of vapour? Bad things, my friend!

Those who know what the benefits of using an oil catch can are, know!;)

It is an invaluable service/maintenance device, especially in a HEMI engine.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks a catch can is snake oil and does little to nothing to benefit their engine has not used one, and seen the benefits. They also have probably never taken off the four screws to the throttle body and serviced it either :)

There is a discernable improvement in throttle response, idling, and overall vehicle drivability improvement when one has a clean TB. Heck.... I do mine twice a year, and now that my 6yo daughter is big enough to not fall into my engine bay, we do it together, and she loves it! :)

Just my $0.02, though!