Oil Catch Can ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess should have specified, since this is a RAM forum. Why isn't a catch can part of standard equipment on the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis they put in their trucks? It would simply be like making it part of the standard equipment and add it to the maintenance schedule like changing your oil. Everyone knows they need to change their oil, and based on the posts I've read here it's a simpler procedure to maintain than even that.
The majority of people aren't as religious at changing their oil as they should be,and don't do it till the reminder tells them to do it,or well past that point,by that time even the big catch cans are full. The Hellcat covers bypass the dump factor,but they also recycle all the crankcase acids and blowby crap back into the oil pan,where it's not really doing your oil any favours.
Plus by the time the bean counters are done shutting down the engineers,they aren't going to add one,as it'd up the sticker price of the vehicle,and the bean counters are all about reducing sticker shock,and could care less about adding anything that might increase the life expectancy of the vehicle,they're in the market to sell you a new vehicle as often as they can,and all the bean counters care about is building something that'll make it past the warrenty period

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For you guys who've never heard about a catch can,there's probably at least 50 threads on this subject already on here.Use the search function,and you can read all about them to your hearts content,as this subject has been beat to death already.
You either use one and swear by it,or you don't use one and think it's stupid.Your call,but odds are you guys who've never used one,aren't going to change the minds of guys who do use one.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Copied this from a well known Hemi engine builder

"Since the Hemi was re-introduced in 2003 there has been over the years, many people and shops that have modified them. Taking the intakes off has revealed oil residue on the intake walls and in certain casting dimples standing oil. Intake ports as well as the back sides of intake valves have been coated as well. This is not just something that's unique to Chrysler products.
Does the oil hurt or alter anything? Depends on modifications that might alter the fuel and ignotion curve. Stock probably not. Oil adds to combustion inefficiency.
I've seen plenty of intakes pulled off 5.7's and saw all I needed to see! Oil residual everywhere. Like I said.......WHERE do you think throttle bodies are getting all that built up oil around the throttle plates and throats from?? "

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OK, apparently that was funny to some of you but it was a serious question.

I think he was referring to fact you didn't actually read the link @Wild one posted.
While that link is bias, it does explain everything.

There are 10,000's of trucks/cars without it, and work perfectly fine. Unlike some other mods, you can actually see what is the can.

Why do they not or have not added to our Trucks? Price and consumer. As @Wild one mentioned some technically have. There are other cars that have them stock.

Added it to my Truck. first time I emptied it. 1/4 full with milky oil. Couple dollars I spent on it, already worth it. The 2014 Classic with 400,000 km doesn't have one, working fine.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently you don't like reading,and i'm guessing have never ran a catch can,lol.What comes out of the crankcase coats the throttle body and the inside of the intake manifold,while also dropping the effective octane rating of the fuel you're using.I bet you've never cleaned the throttle body on a Hemi either have you. I'm out,as no matter what you think or say about a catch can(which is wrong ,lol),does nothing to change my mind,or anyone elses mind who is running a catch can.
Little tidbit for you,the Hellcats are port injected and run a factory air/oil seperator(aka a catc can),but they dump the residual back into the oil pan,as Ma Mopar knows the average owner probably won't stay on top of maintaining a seperate stand alone catch can

i told you right from get go on the previous page what my observation was after removing the manifold.
oil film on the runner walls as you would expect but ITS HARMLESS.
alittle oil pooled in the plenum bottom as you would expect but ITS HARMLESS. and took 15yrs for that little bit to accumulate.
perfectly washed valves.
im not anti catch can. im anti tinfoil hat.
what i saw is what i saw. just passing it along.

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Added it to my Truck. first time I emptied it. 1/4 full with milky oil. Couple dollars I spent on it, already worth it. The 2014 Classic with 400,000 km doesn't have one, working fine.

preach on brotha. had 92 lebaron over 300k mi. never a catch can. throw out bearing finally died

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i told you right from get go on the previous page what my observation was after removing the manifold.
oil film on the runner walls as you would expect but ITS HARMLESS.
alittle oil pooled in the plenum bottom as you would expect but ITS HARMLESS. and took 15yrs for that little bit to accumulate.
perfectly washed valves.
im not anti catch can. im anti tinfoil hat.
what i saw is what i saw. just passing it along
Number 1 mistake you're making , is you thinking Toyota makes the Hemi,lol. You do realize we're talking about the 5.7 here and not a 1.8L 4 banger Toyota.You seem to think they're the same engine :Big Laugh:
Tell you what,you can carry on with your thoughts,which i think you're crazy to do,and i'll carry on with my thoughts.
BTW pretty well every decent Hemi engine builder will disagree with you,lol

Make sure you keep on top of cleaning your throttle body,and you might want to check your intake manifold bolts on a yearly basis to,as i'm guessing you've never done either ;)

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
About to do throttle body.

Anyone use this?
View attachment 533900
It works good.If you plan on pulling the throttle body,it doesn't hurt to pull the negative battery post off before hand,and then do the old pedal to the floor and back up with-in 10 second trick to relearn the throttle body.Be careful with the tightening of the screws when you re-install it,they're famous for stripping if you go all gorilla on them.They can be fixed if you do,but it's easier to be careful tightening them. I've repaired the stripped throttle body bolts by converting them to studs if you do strip one.

Attachments

• IMG_4250 (2).JPG
    IMG_4250 (2).JPG
    121 KB · Views: 12

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It works good.If you plan on pulling the throttle body,it doesn't hurt to pull the negative battery post off before hand,and then do the old pedal to the floor and back up with-in 10 second trick to relearn the throttle body.Be careful with the tightening of the screws when you re-install it,they're famous for stripping if you go all gorilla on them.They can be fixed if you do,but it's easier to be careful tightening them. I've repaired the stripped throttle body bolts by converting them to studs if you do strip one.
Thanks! I appreciate the tips. The last TB I cleaned was my LS1 in 2008. My Hemi is 3 yrs in and 66K. Don't notice anything but you never know til you open it up.

Gonna add the catch can too. Ran it on my LS1. I'm a believer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
what harmful things are caught in the PVC valve system

Do NOT read this, it is the boring truth !!

The total lack of crankcase evacuation leads to severe buildup of water vapors and sludge inside your engine. Over time this may block various passages inside the engine and hinder the delivery of lubricants and it will destroy the lubricating qualities of even the best oils in relatively short time. You need some form of evacuation from inside the engine of gases, mixtures of gasoline, engine lubricant, vapor, soot, various solids from the combustion process etc, but most important of all - a control system for the enormous air pollution generated by unchecked processes like the ones described above, that take place inside any engine during the combustion cycle. Compression blow by.

we as proponents of express transportation like our engines loud and powerful. High compression engines, governed with today´s complex EMS devices do not like to have oil vapors, NOX, HC derivatives, water solids and second hand fuel mixture particles sucked back into our precious high horsepower machines. Adding those particles to the combustion mixture in a high compression engine causes all kinds of instability problems, like potential detonation and temperature issues as well as potential effects on flow characteristics in the exhaust side. Carbon buildup inside combustion chambers is also a product of excessive blow by and emissions particles being re-introduced into the process.

All of that crap used to escape from the combustion chamber by way of a Road Draft Tube, the problem with that, was our roads all had about a 2 foot strip of Oil down the center of every travel lane.
You can still see the same thing, where ever there is a little dip in the road, like at the far end of each bridge on a cement road.
When it rains just a bit, that 2 foot wide strip gets real slippery.

Politicians had a better idea, let's put that oil back into the top of the engine, that way we will have cleaner roadways.
The hell with the other consequences .....

People much smarter than i, said, Lets just catch it in a can !!

Now that every new vehicle is made with Catalytic Converters, they could run the stuff caught by the EGR valve right into the exhaust, upstream of the Catalytic Converters, like is done with the diesels

Last edited:

ThompNation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello from ENC ya’ll,

Need your opinions on my catch can discovery..I installed my catch can in approximately July..took it off this evening just to see and it’s 3/4 full! Is this typical? Truck is at 199k miles & runs strong!IMG_6648.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6649.jpeg
    IMG_6649.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello from ENC ya’ll,

Need your opinions on my catch can discovery..I installed my catch can in approximately July..took it off this evening just to see and it’s 3/4 full! Is this typical? Truck is at 199k miles & runs strong!View attachment 534180
Little bit of advice for you,dump it way more often then you are.If it gets full you'll start sucking all that crap into your intake manifold.Get in the habit of dumping it every 2000 miles at most.Yes that's normal if you haven't dumped it since you installed it in July,cold weather and short trips will fill it faster in the winter to.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
what harmful things are caught in the PVC valve system

Do NOT read this, it is the boring truth !!

The total lack of crankcase evacuation leads to severe buildup of water vapors and sludge inside your engine. Over time this may block various passages inside the engine and hinder the delivery of lubricants and it will destroy the lubricating qualities of even the best oils in relatively short time. You need some form of evacuation from inside the engine of gases, mixtures of gasoline, engine lubricant, vapor, soot, various solids from the combustion process etc, but most important of all - a control system for the enormous air pollution generated by unchecked processes like the ones described above, that take place inside any engine during the combustion cycle. Compression blow by.

we as proponents of express transportation like our engines loud and powerful. High compression engines, governed with today´s complex EMS devices do not like to have oil vapors, NOX, HC derivatives, water solids and second hand fuel mixture particles sucked back into our precious high horsepower machines. Adding those particles to the combustion mixture in a high compression engine causes all kinds of instability problems, like potential detonation and temperature issues as well as potential effects on flow characteristics in the exhaust side. Carbon buildup inside combustion chambers is also a product of excessive blow by and emissions particles being re-introduced into the process.

All of that crap used to escape from the combustion chamber by way of a Road Draft Tube, the problem with that, was our roads all had about a 2 foot strip of Oil down the center of every travel lane.
You can still see the same thing, where ever there is a little dip in the road, like at the far end of each bridge on a cement road.
When it rains just a bit, that 2 foot wide strip gets real slippery.

Politicians had a better idea, let's put that oil back into the top of the engine, that way we will have cleaner roadways.
The hell with the other consequences .....

People much smarter than i, said, Lets just catch it in a can !!

Now that every new vehicle is made with Catalytic Converters, they could run the stuff caught by the EGR valve right into the exhaust, upstream of the Catalytic Converters, like is done with the diesels

The issue is how to insert the crankcase gouk into a pressurized system. Exhaust gas is pressurized. I hadn't heard diesel makers figured out how to inject crankcase blowby into exhaust streams.

Less than 10 or so years ago, they were still putting coalescing open breathers on diesel engines. i.e. - "catch cans"

ThompNation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Little bit of advice for you,dump it way more often then you are.If it gets full you'll start sucking all that crap into your intake manifold.Get in the habit of dumping it every 2000 miles at most.Yes that's normal if you haven't dumped it since you installed it in July,cold weather and short trips will fill it faster in the winter to.
Thank you for the quick reply! I also noticed it looking a little milky..figure it’s likely the little bit of fuel getting mixed in; any thoughts if it could indicate underlying leakage?

Attachments

• IMG_6652.jpeg
    IMG_6652.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 10

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Milky is water emulsifying in the oil. That is normal in cylinder combustion blowby. The primary output from combustion is water vapor and carbon dioxide. Along with oil mist from blow by.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2009 Dodge Ram had a HEMI
I changed oil every 3,000 miles & emptied the Catch Can that same week.

The Motor OIl i used was Mobil One & a WIX Oil Filter.

I sold that truck with a 150,000 miles on it , just about 6 1/2 years ago.
The new Owner or his Dad live somewhere in town & they drive by & tap the horn & wave when they pass by :)

It is not hard to spot, It came from the factory with Sunburst Orange Pearl paint, there is another 2009 painted the same color, in a town about 30 miles away.
I had my 2016 Ram painted the same color.

So there are 3 Rams around here, painted that color, easy to spot :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat