Oil change time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2ec982ab4337c1e956b89ea0d1bbd988.jpg

Cleaned this sucker out too.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that filter bigger than a standard filter?
Yes sir. Here's the filter with the part number.

c19f8bf006d096b1b3d43931a5b591e0.jpg

I have no idea if bigger means better, but I've heard from a few people it's as good if not better than the other high quality filters out there and it's $13 on Amazon.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
My thought on the Bigger subject is----->More filter media means more filter area to filter the in coming oil. Which can't be a bad thing!
My only concern would loom in the direction of a change in oil psi.
Higher psi would be better / Lower psi might be a bad thing.

I have read where the SRT oil filter was designed for more flow.
Take that for what it is worth.

Aggressor: Let me know how much of a pain the larger filter is to install around the electric power steering unit. As well as uninstall. Thinking about going to the larger filter. Would make for easier filter buying since my sons F150 5.4L 3V would take the same filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My thought on the Bigger subject is----->More filter media means more filter area to filter the in coming oil. Which can't be a bad thing!
My only concern would loom in the direction of a change in oil psi.
Higher psi would be better / Lower psi might be a bad thing.

I have read where the SRT oil filter was designed for more flow.
Take that for what it is worth.

Aggressor: Let me know how much of a pain the larger filter is to install around the electric power steering unit. As well as uninstall. Thinking about going to the larger filter. Would make for easier filter buying since my sons F150 5.4L 3V would take the same filter.

I agree, can't be a bad thing. As far as oil pressure, my idle and driving oil pressure were all pretty much the same. The filter wasn't a pain to install just had to tilt it a little to get it into place. When it comes time to remove it though... Unfortunately I will have to tilt it again to get it out and oil will go everywhere. I hate the filter location on these trucks.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did my first/last oil change I followed a member's suggestion (sorry, don't remember who) and after loosening the filter and before any oil leaked out, I put a 1 gallon zip-lock bag around it and slowly finished loosening it by hand from the outside of the bag. I let it sit this way, hanging off the threaded pipe until the oil stopped dripping from the engine. Then I unscrewed the filter the rest of the way and let it drop into the zip-lock bag. I didn't get any oil anywhere else. Next time, I'll try a 1 quart bag to see if that's adequate. That size bag may not open wide enough to prevent oil from spilling on the outside of the bag though.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did my first/last oil change I followed a member's suggestion (sorry, don't remember who) and after loosening the filter and before any oil leaked out, I put a 1 gallon zip-lock bag around it and slowly finished loosening it by hand from the outside of the bag. I let it sit this way, hanging off the threaded pipe until the oil stopped dripping from the engine. Then I unscrewed the filter the rest of the way and let it drop into the zip-lock bag. I didn't get any oil anywhere else. Next time, I'll try a 1 quart bag to see if that's adequate. That size bag may not open wide enough to prevent oil from spilling on the outside of the bag though.
I tried that method and it spilled out the side of it and ran down my arm. [emoji28]

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why the smaller filter then? Is it a clearance issue anywhere?

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I like my remote filter, uses a full size Ford filter and is super easy to change now, no oil anywhere except the drain pan.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is a 13 with the electric steering but was manufactured in Dec 2012. It came from the factory with the bigger filter

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Gallon ziplock worked for me as well!

Interesting about the filter though... might have to get one to try it out. I will tell you that I cut all my filters open to verify engine condition. The oil filter cutting tool makes this easy enough to do every oil change. I currently rock the mobile 1 small filter and mobile one. But I picked up the synthetic pensoil natural gas stuff and he new Bosch filter for my next change.

16ramsportjc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for my ignorance. What's the fumoto valve for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk