Oil Life Screen - incorrect mileage reported

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atg67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello,

I was checking my Oil Life to confirm how far my road trip had been (Toronto to Vancouver and Back). I was looking at the Oil Life while I was refueling the truck. So, I had the ignition in Accessory position. The number since last oil change startled me, 65,535km. This struck me for a couple of reasons;
a) I had reset the Oil Life when I changed the oil the day prior to the road trip. No way was it 65k km!
b) My truck is a 2022 Warlock with 22,755km
Once the fuel fill was complete I check again, this time with the engine in Run position. 11,188km this time. Ok this is the sort of number I was expecting based on the distances I had driven and it's about half the number of total kms on the truck.

So, does anybody have an idea why it would report such a crazy number in the Accessories position? What has me concerned is the 65,535 number is more than double the number of km I have driven my truck. Is this just a glitch? Or is something else going on here? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

I have attached 2 pics of the Oil Life screen.

Attachments

• Accessories Position.jpg
    Accessories Position.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Run Position.jpg
    Run Position.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 33

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Just a software bug, the gauge functions probably aren’t even intended to display in ACC. Most likely just showing whatever the max value is attainable for that location in memory. Google buffer overflow.

I’m on my third current generation FCA vehicle and I’ve come to expect glitches to be par for the course. Most are inconsequential, just head scratchers.

Some of mine are more concerning, like the parking sensors and the stability control system going randomly offline.

OP
OP
A

atg67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just a software bug, the gauge functions probably aren’t even intended to display in ACC. Most likely just showing whatever the max value is attainable for that location in memory. Google buffer overflow.

I’m on my third current generation FCA vehicle and I’ve come to expect glitches to be par for the course. Most are inconsequential, just head scratchers.

Some of mine are more concerning, like the parking sensors and the stability control system going randomly offline.
Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I got a true tale to tell

I had an OIL Change in May 2023
about 10 days ago, my EVIC flashed O percentage left
i don't have 2,500 miles on it
8 days ago, the EVIC flashed something like, get Oil Change immediately

It had not been any where near a year since the last complete service at a dealership

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's probably getting no data in the acc position, so it defaults to --% and the max mileage since change. That -- in the percent remaining should make it obvious it doesn't have valid data to be displayed in the ACC mode.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a true tale to tell

I had an OIL Change in May 2023
about 10 days ago, my EVIC flashed O percentage left
i don't have 2,500 miles on it
8 days ago, the EVIC flashed something like, get Oil Change immediately

It had not been any where near a year since the last complete service at a dealership
Your dealer simply forgot to reset it... that has happened to me more than once. Reset it yourself and track mileage/time since the last change to determine when to change it again.

Steny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 . I have never paid attention to that. I change my oil and oil filters faithfully at 5,000, and keep the receipt back when it was under warranty. The dealer would always say I can wait till 8,000 miles (I have a diesel so I go 5,000). Fuel filters every 10,000 unless I go to Baja Ca. Then I change them when I get home. Tranny oil every 50,000 (don’t flush, just drain & refill). 127,000 miles now and counting.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
65, 535 as a number has significance - it's the max unsigned value that can be represented with 16 bits. Something just isn't initialized yet, so no biggie.