Oil weight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah yeah I am not manly enough to run thick oil that's definitely the difference.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Run 5w-30. I did my front and rear diff oil change at 72k. Also did the transfer case as well. the wores looking oil that came out was the transfer case. I should have done them at 30k intervals. but ****, it was satisfying seeing that black oil came out and replacing it with fresh reddish ones. I will probably do my rear and transfer case oil at 30k intervals again. So freakin easy too.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I can't travel into the future to talk about my decades old Ram but it's 5 years old on 5w20 with no start up noise.

If 30w is "better" in our engines designed after 2000 why would it not be equally "better" in some old Ford motor designed when Reagan was an actor?

We get it. You like 5w20. It’s your truck have at it. My 03 F150 called for 5w20 too but no thanks. I ran 5w30 in that as well until the day I sold it. The motor was one of the quietest 5.4’s I heard. I guess some of us would rather do what we do based off our experience instead of what the manufacturer says is law. You have as much chance of changing our minds as we do yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I'm just calling this a weird obsession, I know none of y'all are going to change. Just calling it weird 'cause it is.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
5w-30 doesn’t splash enough to lube the upper valvetrain at low RPM while at operating temp, stick with 5w-20 if you don’t like pulling the top end off.

Especially in the cold climate regions.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did the first oil change on my 1500 with the 5.7...its a 2018, but was still new on the lot with 27 miles on it when I bought it this past December.

I'm not sure what oil they have in them from the factory, other than it being 5w20....but I had the dealer put Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 in for the change.

I never considered the engine noisy even on the factory oil, but I did notice it was quieter on Platinum 5w20.

I asked for Ultra Platinum 5w20....but that's not an oil the dealer has on hand.

Did some research on the difference between Ultra Platinum and Platinum.....VERY, VERY little difference...its mostly just more cleaning additives in Ultra.

In the end.... there's not enough difference between 5w20 and 5w30 to amount to much... and an oil a little too thick is just as bad as one a little too thin.

I'd be willing to bet millions of 5.7's never see anything other than the standard oil that dealers are directed by FCA to put in them... and the vast majority of them turn out just fine on that oil... they wouldn't be selling like hotcakes if that were not true.

I'm well aware that there are lifter failures, but I'm not convinced any oil within the required spec will make a difference on that in the end.

A little lifter chatter at startup doesn't necessarily spell doom...I know of one that's had startup tick since it was new....237,000 miles now....my uncle's truck, its never had any special oil, just whatever the dealer puts in it.... another, my brother in laws truck.... 183,000 miles, ticks about 3 seconds nearly every time its started, always has.... those 2 trucks are the reason I bought a Ram this time, never owned a Mopar of any kind before this.

Mine ticks about 3 seconds it once in a while at startup, but usually not.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did the first oil change on my 1500 with the 5.7...its a 2018, but was still new on the lot with 27 miles on it when I bought it this past December.

I'm not sure what oil they have in them from the factory, other than it being 5w20....but I had the dealer put Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 in for the change.

I never considered the engine noisy even on the factory oil, but I did notice it was quieter on Platinum 5w20.

I asked for Ultra Platinum 5w20....but that's not an oil the dealer has on hand.

Did some research on the difference between Ultra Platinum and Platinum.....VERY, VERY little difference...its mostly just more cleaning additives in Ultra.

In the end.... there's not enough difference between 5w20 and 5w30 to amount to much... and an oil a little too thick is just as bad as one a little too thin.

I'd be willing to bet millions of 5.7's never see anything other than the standard oil that dealers are directed by FCA to put in them... and the vast majority of them turn out just fine on that oil... they wouldn't be selling like hotcakes if that were not true.

I'm well aware that there are lifter failures, but I'm not convinced any oil within the required spec will make a difference on that in the end.

A little lifter chatter at startup doesn't necessarily spell doom...I know of one that's had startup tick since it was new....237,000 miles now....my uncle's truck, its never had any special oil, just whatever the dealer puts in it.... another, my brother in laws truck.... 183,000 miles, ticks about 3 seconds nearly every time its started, always has.... those 2 trucks are the reason I bought a Ram this time, never owned a Mopar of any kind before this.

Mine ticks about 3 seconds it once in a while at startup, but usually not.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
Exactly. Don’t baby these Hemi. They last longer when you run them hard.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If your hemi is ticking, it is a great thing that uoa's exist and are so cheap. Go get a uoa and see if the ticking is causing excessive wear or not. Since we have proven we can kill ticks with lubrication at a high success rate, it is worth a uoa to find out. if your uoa has less than 40ppm iron and copper, let it tick and have more confidence.

If the iron is way over 100ppm and high chromium, try our lubrication strategy or be prepared to replace that cam at some point. We have heard those stories about 300k mile ticking hemis and no issues, but those are unicorns compared to how many cams fail. If your engine ticks and you think that is normal, I have nothing else for ya, but good luck with all sincerity.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your hemi is ticking, it is a great thing that uoa's exist and are so cheap. Go get a uoa and see if the ticking is causing excessive wear or not. Since we have proven we can kill ticks with lubrication at a high success rate, it is worth a uoa to find out. if your uoa has less than 40ppm iron and copper, let it tick and have more confidence.

If the iron is way over 100ppm and high chromium, try our lubrication strategy or be prepared to replace that cam at some point. We have heard those stories about 300k mile ticking hemis and no issues, but those are unicorns compared to how many cams fail. If your engine ticks and you think that is normal, I have nothing else for ya, but good luck with all sincerity.
Hemi ticks and lubrication likely helps. All I’m saying though, is if you run the Hemi hard they seem to last longer. Likely cause the cams and lifters are getting lubed at higher rpm. If your are idling for long time or baby it, the lower rpm seems to be the killin the cam and lifters. Right lub and hard driving will favor the Hemi.