Orange sludge under radiator cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like this guy is going the dealer route, maybe it will work, for future guys, rmi 25 is built for this, it takes anything clogging your cooling system and turns it to slime and deposits it overflow tank where it is trapped. Google rmi25 fixes dex cool damage see if some of the pics are still out there. You need do nothing, put 32 ounces of rmi 25 in and fill with distilled water no mater how low the fluid level was, and drive 500 miles. You will see for yourself, when you remove the cap, it will look new and all of those clogs will be gone. It is safe and non toxic and slow working, which is what you want. Then it is safe to use 24/7 so it doesnt happen again. I don't really think there is great benefit to clean systems, but once it goes wrong this is the stuff.

RMI-25 Works While You Drive​

• CLEANS – radiators, engine blocks, heater cores, hoses…the complete system
  • INHIBITS – rust, build-up of mineral deposits, cavitation erosion, electrolysis and pitting
  • LUBRICATES – thermostats, water pump seals, and heater controls
  • CONDITIONS – improves heat transfer
  • STABILIZES – contains a pH stabilizer for acid-alkaline balance
  • FLUSHES – power flushes in combination with your water pump while you drive
  • DETECTS LEAKS – contains a leak detector which pinpoints leaks under a black fluorescent lamp
I bought the RMI25 the hour you mentioned it. My issue is apparently this RAM had mixed coolants in it, so even if I used the RMI25, I wouldn't know what coolant to put in after the fact and for the life of the truck. A flush seemed to make sense to get a fresh-ish start. When I get it back, I will try this RMI25 on top of the flush and new OAT 10 year coolant they are going to put in. I don't have a shop vac to suck out the slime it puts in the tank, but perhaps a small hand pump to pump the liquid from the resivoir after driving with the RMI25 in would work to clean out the slimy fluid?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Only need 8 oz so you have lifetime supply now!
Says to use 32 oz,so i might throw a whole bottle in and run it for awhile,before i do the thermostat.See how that pans out and go from there.
I was planning on draining the majority of anti-freeze out of it this fall,and put brand new OAT in it.I change the thermostats twice yearly and always use new OAT to top it off,but the cars 10 years old now,with 70,000 miles,so i was gonna drain as much out of it as i could this fall,with-out going crazy and pulling the block plugs,and give it a bunch of new anti-freeze

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Says to use 32 oz,so i might throw a whole bottle in and run it for awhile,before i do the thermostat.See how that pans out and go from there.
I was planning on draining the majority of anti-freeze out of it this fall,and put brand new OAT in it.I change the thermostats twice yearly and always use new OAT to top it off,but the cars 10 years old now,with 70,000 miles,so i was gonna drain as much out of it as i could this fall,with-out going crazy and pulling the block plugs,and give it a bunch of new anti-freeze
Cool, looks like good stuff. Should show my dad for all his tractors and such. In my 2017 ram I replace one jug of mopar oat every couple years so I should be clean.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just picked it up from the dealer. They said they ended up doing 3 flushes because after the first they didn't feel satisfied it was cleaned out; first with water, 2nd with chemical flush, 3rd with water again, then fill with new OAT. Just charged for 1 flush apparently. The drive home was the first time I heard my engine in 1st and 2nd gear since I bought it, the fan wasn't roaring. And the heat is still working so far. Good start I suppose!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah 8 ounces would be for a normal system, once you have damage like this that is visible, 32 ounces is the way to go. There is no such thing as too much rmi 25, you can run it 100%. Makes me think about doing that sometime.

Also, it stores indefinitely or close to it until it is open, once open you should use it up as soon as you can. Just like coolant, this doesnt like oxygen.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
yeah 8 ounces would be for a normal system, once you have damage like this that is visible, 32 ounces is the way to go. There is no such thing as too much rmi 25, you can run it 100%. Makes me think about doing that sometime.

Also, it stores indefinitely or close to it until it is open, once open you should use it up as soon as you can. Just like coolant, this doesnt like oxygen.

Other then topping it off with new coolant every time i swap thermostats,the cars never had any cooling system maintence.It still looks fairly clean in the overflow bottle,but i figured i'd start with the 32 oz regime,run it for a few hundred miles before i swap the thermostat,and see how much junk it loosens up,and go from there.
At just over $57.00 Canuck a bottle,i have to admit i hope it lives up to expectations,as i'm just starting to walk normal now,lol

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Rome X: I just walked outside to take a pic, and to see what mine looked like.
I have a 2014 Ram, 5.7L V8, about 105,000 miles. Here is the pic, and I'd like to think this is what it should look like, ideally...
EDIT: Truck has not been run since yesterday and it is about 56F outside.

387525497_3553584548213403_14713469002628267_n.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rome X: I just walked outside to take a pic, and to see what mine looked like.
I have a 2014 Ram, 5.7L V8, about 105,000 miles. Here is the pic, and I'd like to think this is what it should look like, ideally...
EDIT: Truck has not been run since yesterday and it is about 56F outside.

View attachment 530051
You big show off with your normal coolant system... :)
Appreciate the reference, I'm looking forward to checking mine in the morning when its cool and seeing how clean it looks right after their "triple flush"

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wonder if the previous owner knew of a bad coolant leak and threw in a ton of Bars stop leak or something like that. Maybe the junk was tossed in like wood to a fire. Hope you get this fixed!
If so, I guess OP will found out once he gets all that mess cleaned out.
Hopefully this ends well and the cleaner does the trick.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a separate note. The reason the truck was going to the dealer was for a balance of new tires that the tire shop couldn't balance "because Rams have a plastic wheel cover that can crack if tightened down enough on a regular tire balancer".

Smooth up to 60 mph but between 70 and 80 bad shake in front tires, and then over 85 front shake stopped mostly and rear shake starts.

Took it to the dealer for the balance (and coolant flush) and now the tires are worse. Shaking less severely over 70mph now but there is some shake all the time now over 35mph...

Are rams really that hard to balance? I've owned 15 cars and trucks I've never had one shake on highway from new tires and balancing issues.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
On a separate note. The reason the truck was going to the dealer was for a balance of new tires that the tire shop couldn't balance "because Rams have a plastic wheel cover that can crack if tightened down enough on a regular tire balancer".

Smooth up to 60 mph but between 70 and 80 bad shake in front tires, and then over 85 front shake stopped mostly and rear shake starts.

Took it to the dealer for the balance (and coolant flush) and now the tires are worse. Shaking less severely over 70mph now but there is some shake all the time now over 35mph...

Are rams really that hard to balance? I've owned 15 cars and trucks I've never had one shake on highway from new tires and balancing issues.
be all over them to change those tires if needed, the one good thing about buying tires at a tire shop. Don't procrastinate hit while the iron is hot, hopefully they will guaruntee it. Why I buy from les shuab most of the time, lifetime balancing free.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
be all over them to change those tires if needed, the one good thing about buying tires at a tire shop. Don't procrastinate hit while the iron is hot, hopefully they will guaruntee it. Why I buy from les shuab most of the time, lifetime balancing free.
Thanks. The tire shop is offering to rebalance them, or with a bit of a "if you wanna be a complainer" vibe said he'll refund me if I really want to. I assume I'll have to buy a replacement from his shop to get the refund, so now trying to decide on a new tire.

Maybe I'll make a new thread. They sold me on cooper at3 4s AT, but legit every person I know with a truck has falken wildpeak at3w so perhaps I'll spring for those.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They sound very responsible, why not give them another chance. They don't make the tires. If the next set balance correctly and you get the wobble, could be in the suspension?

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like rust to me. Maybe blockseal was added. I’d flush myself. Then a new rad,water pump , & t-stat. Maybe use flush burla recommends. Anti-freeze should be changed often. no more than 5yrs as it turns corrosive . Like what you see in your rad now. I don’t care what mfg says. No such thing as any lifetime fluids in a vehicle. Most likely had a leaky water pump & your anti-freeze may never have been changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357