Over head computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, my truck didnt come with it, and i want it. So, i went to a local salvage yard and picked up the new overhead, with computer, auto dim rear-view, and wiring harness for 20 bucks. went ahead and pulled my overhead down, and it was in better shape than the one from my doner, so i swapped over ll the electronics. had to reuse my map lights as well, so cut and spliced all those wires into the new harness. im waiting for a weekend when my buddy Chance comes over, he's a mopar master mechanic, and we're gonna pill the headliner a pillars and roll the dash back so we can put everything back into factory locations. I'll try and remember to charge my camera so i can get process pics for you guys... I know we're all pics ******.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
sweet cause i was gonna do one in mine but i didnt wanna have to make a wire harness lol......is there already plugs behind the dash????

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea, everything just plugs in. i'll get pics when i do it, might help ya out.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It would be interesting to see where all the sensors are and what sensors do what.

Kaniksu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I to assume that this didn't go well?

No news for a year.

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just never got back to working on it, I still have all the stuff, but when I went to pull the dash, I had more cracks than I was comfortable with, and put it off till I was ready to change the dash as well

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no sir, im still putting off replacing my dash.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
well any info about wires and such will be a big help.. i have a line on a complete dash with harness for $40 not sure if it had the overhead or not... and have to do a heater core and evap core soon so im hoping to do it all in one swoop :) good luck and thanks for the reply :)

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The overhead harness also connects the ligjhted sun visors, and runs down the drivers side a pillar and snakes around behind the dash, then plugs into the fuse box. I got lucky and got my doner harness from a ram that had its dash already pulled. I had every intention of havint it allinstalled by now, but my freind, who is a dodge certified dealership mechanic, moved without ever helping me do it.

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, I FINALLY got this swap done. i should have done it two years ago, but i kept thinking it was going to be harder than it really was. All you have to do is, pull the over head out, pull the a pillar covers, and the sunvisors and clips.

once that is out of the way, start on the pass side, tape the lighted visor wiring to the top of the cab, under the headliner of course...

tape the pass side, then plug in the auto dim mirror, to hold the rest of the harness in place while you impersonate a monkey.

snake the computer connector through the hole in the headliner, then, rout your harness down the drivers side a pillar. Just tape it in place if you dont want to pull the old one out.

since its to tight to get the harness behind the dash, and i was to lazy to pull the dash, i just ran it down the side of my dash for now, when i get a dash replacement, i'll put it back where it goes.

now comes the fun part...

remove the lower dash cover, underneath the steering wheel.

get a good flashlight, lay on your back, and shove your head between the e brake, and brake peddles, if you have a standard, i dont know what to tell you.

i opened the back quad door, and braces my left foot against it, so i would be a bit more stable, and put my right foot on the ground.

if you have slender arms, you might be able to reach over the wiring harnesses, and pull the wiring harness plug end, on the bottom right.

i do not... so, i used a little curly ended screwdriver looking thing... i know thats a technical term, but i found it in my project jeep, and have no idea what it really is, but its handy as hell. kinda looks like some one sharpened the end of a phillips screwdriver to a point, and curled it into a pig tail.

now then, focusing on the wrong part of the story, unplug the bottom right plug, plug in the replacement, the other plug end is a white connector that is on the steering column, down by the brake peddle. took me a couple minutes of looking around to find it.

install everything in reverse order, zip tie the harness out of the way, turn the key and boom your done.

really and truly, not that difficult, i just put it off for way to long. now i need to go do donuts in a parking lot to calibrate the compass, but that will have to wait till i replace the radiator, which decided today was a good day to die.

good luck, and watch out for the fiberglass in the headliner board... its kinda itchy, and doesn't taste like toast at all.

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, i couldnt get a picture behind the dash, to much crap in the way. but i pirated a picture of the back of the fuse block. ua0W4w8.jpg its the top right plug in this pic , it will be a brown colored connector.

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ahhhh, the white one, yea, give me a few minutes to get a pic of it.

OP
OP
BeauDuke01

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, its to the left side of the white box on the steering column.
LzE7KfH.jpg

its a small flat connector with 4 wires.

yTNHsOO.jpg

really easy to get to, compared to the other pain in the ass one. let me know if you have any other questions. i'll do my best to answer them.