p0113 after hid install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

choquette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMmins 6.7
Is it a coincidence that I got this code p0113 after I installed my hids? IF not how what could cause that?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Google foo say this:

A code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Internally failed IAT sensor
Faulty connection at IAT sensor
Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit
IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)

From a circuit perspective, I cannot see how the two are related. From a being under the hood and messing around with the HID mod, quite possible you disturbed something on the circuit and might want to double check everything with a visual inspection and go from there.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IAT sensor circuit high input - open circuit

Most likely you accidentally unplugged the sensor, but it could be a failed sensor, or short in the connector/wire(s). Verify that the IAT is plugged in properly. If that doesnt remedy, inspect the wires and connector plug for any obvious damage. If that looks good, replace the sensor and go from there.

OP
OP
choquette

choquette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMmins 6.7
Well I checked on google but just wanted to make sure it wasnt my hids that were messing with the pcm or dropping the voltage or putting back voltage on the circuit! Dont want to roast anything in there lol

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring

This one has my interest peaked as those HID ballast may be an issue also if the IAT wiring is routed close to it.

If the visual inspection finds nothing out of place, could reset the code and unplug the ballast and check again to narrow it down.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This one has my interest peaked as those HID ballast may be an issue also if the IAT wiring is routed close to it.

If the visual inspection finds nothing out of place, could reset the code and unplug the ballast and check again to narrow it down.

Yeah, the interference from HID components is enough to mess with radio, but I doubt that is has anything to do with the IAT for two reasons - one the trouble code is indicating an open circuit, not a short (i shouldn't have said "short" in my first response - should have said "open"), and two the IAT wiring is part of the engine harness, not the chassis harness... Unless the OP somehow really jacked up the install to the point where there's a massive electrical problem (doesn't sound like it).

He maybe accidentally damaged the sensor/connector/wiring somehow during the install, or it's purely a coincidence that the sensor failed.

I do think that your suggestion about unplugging the ballast and resetting the code is a good idea if all else fail - ya never know!

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yeah, the interference from HID components is enough to mess with radio, but I doubt that is has anything to do with the IAT for two reasons - one the trouble code is indicating an open circuit, not a short (i shouldn't have said "short" in my first response - should have said "open"), and two the IAT wiring is part of the engine harness, not the chassis harness... Unless the OP somehow really jacked up the install to the point where there's a massive electrical problem (doesn't sound like it).

He maybe accidentally damaged the sensor/connector/wiring somehow during the install, or it's purely a coincidence that the sensor failed.

I do think that your suggestion about unplugging the ballast and resetting the code is a good idea if all else fail - ya never know!

The code is labeled as a "High Input" failure. Does not necessarily mean a true open (still possible) but a high resistant condition exists. If the EMI from the ballast is high enough to cause the IAT to fail and not complete a test or nominal sensor voltage return, then I can see this failure occurring.

Of course this is all speculative spit balling. While beyond most home DIY'ers, I would love to see a scope meter on the IAT circuit and see what the waveform is with and without the ballast in the loop.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The code is labeled as a "High Input" failure. Does not necessarily mean a true open (still possible) but a high resistant condition exists. If the EMI from the ballast is high enough to cause the IAT to fail and not complete a test or nominal sensor voltage return, then I can see this failure occurring.

Of course this is all speculative spit balling. While beyond most home DIY'ers, I would love to see a scope meter on the IAT circuit and see what the waveform is with and without the ballast in the loop.

I hear ya.

OP, anything?

OP
OP
choquette

choquette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMmins 6.7
No Im working right now! Im going to try to unplug the ballasts and see if I get the error after the job

OP
OP
choquette

choquette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMmins 6.7
Well I'm driving around with the hid plugged in but without the lights on and I'm not getting any code! Im going to try to drive around with the lights on to see if its the hids the problem!

OP
OP
choquette

choquette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMmins 6.7
If a ballast is plugged not correctly (black on red and red on black) could that cause a problem? Well they are all plugged correctly but my high beam relay is clicking like hell! So im going to put a capacitor to see if it corrects the clicking noise!