P0520 oil sending unit pooped in bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the search function here but only found one pic of the sending unit...I'm wondering how much of a PITA this is going to be. On my charger its a real pain as the alternator is right in front of it.

I parked my truck last wed night. I came back form OC bike week last night, and this am I was draggin *** some. I hit the remote start on my ram and it started then shut itself off. EVIC displayed " remote start disabled insert key to start engine" I'm aware that lots of features don't work when you have a CEL.

Mondays suck.

I restarted the truck and the CEL stayed on. I checked it and cleared it with my IT2. it came back on at lunch. Oil PSI is steady at 100.

During a break at work I hit up advance auto and the zone...not available
Rock auto had it for the 2014 ( which is my year) but, FYI, not for the 15 and up.

Local dealer had it , 42 bucks, rock auto was 35.

Went to dealer and my addiction kicked in, came out with splash guards all around and ordered the ram hitch cover.

So anyway its raining and I didn't feel like looking today and thought maybe someone could tell me how much of a pain this will be:
I have to plan this out and combine it with the splash guard install and the oil change, I need to make sure a lot the right amount of time and refreshments, recruit the correct level of bystanders, alert the media etc.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you past the 3/36k warranty?

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the search function here but only found one pic of the sending unit...I'm wondering how much of a PITA this is going to be. On my charger its a real pain as the alternator is right in front of it.

I parked my truck last wed night. I came back form OC bike week last night, and this am I was draggin *** some. I hit the remote start on my ram and it started then shut itself off. EVIC displayed " remote start disabled insert key to start engine" I'm aware that lots of features don't work when you have a CEL.

Mondays suck.

I restarted the truck and the CEL stayed on. I checked it and cleared it with my IT2. it came back on at lunch. Oil PSI is steady at 100.

During a break at work I hit up advance auto and the zone...not available
Rock auto had it for the 2014 ( which is my year) but, FYI, not for the 15 and up.

Local dealer had it , 42 bucks, rock auto was 35.

Went to dealer and my addiction kicked in, came out with splash guards all around and ordered the ram hitch cover.

So anyway its raining and I didn't feel like looking today and thought maybe someone could tell me how much of a pain this will be:
I have to plan this out and combine it with the splash guard install and the oil change, I need to make sure a lot the right amount of time and refreshments, recruit the correct level of bystanders, alert the media etc.

On my 2014, I already changed the OEM Oil Sending Sensor.
I called the dealer and they told me it will take about a week to diagnose and fix it through a warranty claim.
I said screw that.
I ordered a OEM unit from Allmoparparts, and put it on myself.
Easy install and no loctite or anything needed since the new sensor already has some on it.
disconnect the negative cable on the battery, locate the sensor on the oil filter mount, disconnect the wire, get a large enough socket and remove it. Install the new one, connect it and that is it.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
There is a tsb to replace the sending unit. 5.7 it's easy, 3.6 it under the lower intake. I'm a tech & I hate doing it on the 3.6, FWIW

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There is a tsb to replace the sending unit. 5.7 it's easy, 3.6 it under the lower intake. I'm a tech & I hate doing it on the 3.6, FWIW
What's the TSB and symptoms? (I have the 3.6 Pentastar).

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
warranty.......uh....yeah I'm at 56k miles and wouldn't have them do it anyway. hemifever tune and I have a lift in my garage.

Thanks savage 46, does that include 4wd models? Ill know soon enough
I checked the PN and its 05149062AB, rock auto had 05149062AA. I imagine the AA vice AB is a different ( better I hope) or from a different manufacturer.

Its always something, On my charger it was the tension struts at 25 k and the Camshaft sensor at 40k.

At least these items aren't expensive:

On my Harley Its the dam compensator, Harley is on like the 8th new and improved design that doesn't work any better........I'll stick with the "new" one I have until it poops in the bed....mean while I need a better clutch as my stock screaming eagle slips.
Probably my fault for having added to the mods it came with, all the normal stuff we do: It came with cams. I added tuner, different exhaust, bigger intake.....

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well, it stopped raining so I went out in the parking lot and looked. easy to get to, right on the oil filter housing like usual. My concern was due to the fact that the filter itself is such a PITA. IDK how I will milk this project for four hours...but I will figure it out.

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
On the 3.6 would it be possible to access it thru the wheel well (remove wheel well cover) ?? On the Charger 3.6 it can be changed without removing manifold. Guy on youtube removed the wipers, plastic cowl, cross member bar and was able to access it from that angle.