Paste Wax vs. Liquid Wax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been looking into removing some swirl marks on my Ram (which show like crazy since it's black) in the next month or so and also wax it before the crappy weather hits. I've decided on the polish I will use for the swirl removal, but I'm not sure on the wax.

My question is what are the differences on the paste vs. liquid waxes, besides the consistency? What are the benefits of using one over the other? I've done some research but I'm not finding much on this. Thanks for the input.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Generally speaking, past waxes will outlast liquid waxes by a pretty decent margin. They have a higher carnauba content, which not only aids in the longevity, but also gives better aesthetic characteristics as well, although this is usually subjective.

The pot of paste wax will also last considerably longer due to the composition of the wax. Our Americana Paste Wax will offer about 30-35 coats on a full size truck, where our liquid Buttery Wax will stretch out to maybe 6-8 coats, all depending of course on how thick or thinly you apply it. If you break it down to cost per application, they end up being very similar, and most times a good quality paste wax will be cheaper per application than a liquid wax.

Our options:

Americana Premium Paste Wax

Buttery Wax

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What Adams said. Paste usually will last longer on the vehicle.

Personally with a Black truck, I'd use Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire kit. I used it on my Corvette once and it lasted all year with just using the detail spray. Perhaps the best I've ever purchased. It's Sealant/Swirl Remover, then a Carnuba Wax combo. Works well if you clay first.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a Collinite fan so this is just from that prospective. I have a real hard time with the Collinite paste wax whereas I have had a lot of success with their 845. The paste just seems a lot harder to work with---at least for me. I'm almost sure it can't be my problem so I blame it on the wax---LOL. Your truck will appreciate either one--liquid or paste.
Good luck
Jay

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nick has made some good points above. The key things to remember:

• Liquid will always be easier on/off.
  • Liquid won't last as long as paste.
  • Paste tends to look better in the end.
  • It comes down to how much time you have and want to put into a waxing!
Available readily at a lot of retailers is the Barrier Reef line of waxes from Surf City Garage. For an over the counter Paste or Liquid, you won't be let down!

Surf City Garage Waxes and Sealants Page

Surf City Garage Where To Buy Page

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't have any issues putting in the extra time and sweat to get the best finish and protection I possibly can. Sounds like paste wax is the way to go.

I am a HUGE advocate of using Paste Wax. It's literally my favorite part of the entire Detailing process.
:favorites13:

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
I am a HUGE advocate of using Paste Wax. It's literally my favorite part of the entire Detailing process.
:favorites13:

Agreed, it's like the "icing on the cake."

OP, there are two great rules to follow to have success with a paste wax:
  • Apply a very thin coat
  • Only do 1-2 body panels at a time before you remove the residue

Follow these and a paste wax will be easy to work with. The complaints I hear almost always stem from laying it on way too heavy and/or doing the entire vehicle with said heavy coat, going inside to take a nap, have lunch, have an adult beverage or two....THEN decide to go out and remove your wax.

Don't do that. It will make you hate paste wax because it will be like removing concrete. ;)

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Interesting hearing from some professionals in here, Ive been detailing for years, its what got me through high school and college job wise.. Ive always been a fan of liquid wax simply cause of a time and simplicity of it. I only used paste a few times when I had a black Jetta, go figure! I didnt see much of a difference in how it worked so I stick with liquid. One tip of advice on black cars and I do this now no matter the color, is dont go in circular motion. Go with the way the color would be painted, side to side. It has mixed reviews by professionals and Im sure with a great hand and experience circular is great, but every one of my friends that have asked I tell them this so they dont put swirls in the paint, you also dont need to push hard. Post some pics up, love seeing fresh details

OP
OP
kcdt58

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's pretty cloudy here today but I snapped these this morning. Sorry for having the Slowmaro in the picture :yucky:.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 58
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 91

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Follow these and a paste wax will be easy to work with. The complaints I hear almost always stem from laying it on way too heavy and/or doing the entire vehicle with said heavy coat, going inside to take a nap, have lunch, have an adult beverage or two....THEN decide to go out and remove your wax.

Don't do that. It will make you hate paste wax because it will be like removing concrete. ;)

Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way. Didn't take a nap or take a lunch but did coat my entire MegaCab the first day I brought it to work. By the time I finished putting the wax on the right side, the left side was like scraping off dried overspray. By the time I got it off the entire truck my arms and shoulders were ON FIRE!!! Realized the hard way just how big the outside of a MC really is... Next time I'm throwing in the towel, looking for a nice :buffer:.

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used paste wax for 20 years until I purchased some liquid wax 2 years ago. The liquid is twice as fast and works well. I wax my vehicles 2-3 times per year with liquid and I love the stuff way more than that paste!

Eddie30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wax mine prob 5 times a year, liquid, and use a spray detailer after every wash

98blackbeauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so got a question for you guys. I wax mine after every other wash which is prob every 2 weeks give or take a week for my schedule. Ive notice the paste helps bead the rain off my truck and I do it to protect my paint as much as I can. I was wondering if you could actually wax to much? I know its a silly question but im curious as to what yall think? all thoughts welcomed

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so got a question for you guys. I wax mine after every other wash which is prob every 2 weeks give or take a week for my schedule. Ive notice the paste helps bead the rain off my truck and I do it to protect my paint as much as I can. I was wondering if you could actually wax to much? I know its a silly question but im curious as to what yall think? all thoughts welcomed

It actually is possible to wax the truck too much. You will notice certain spots become hazy and cloudy. That's too much wax! I try to go off this rule of thumb for most waxes:

• Liquids you may need to apply (depending on the brand) anywhere from every 4-8 weeks. Some are much less, but I don't think anyone is buying those anyway.
  • Pastes tend to last between 2-6 months, brand and depending on the quality of the paste in the tub.

When you start to see beads degrading or being not as visible either after a rain or during a wash, then it may be a good idea to apply another coat of wax. If it's a daily driven vehicle, or stored outside all the time, I would look into a Sealant instead. The product Surf City Professional just released is really durable, and easy to apply also.

SCG Pro Acrylic Shield Paint Sealant

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is something I have been doing for about a year and the results are great. I add about 1/4 cup of Opti Spray Wax to my 5 gallon wash bucket every time I wash the truck. You will be amazed at the results.
Jay

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441