Performance Exhaust, Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Mehlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've searched a bit and have found a few posts about changing exhaust systems, but mostly to change the sound of the truck. I'm trying to squeeze a little more horsepower and a little better mileage out of my 14 5.7 Hemi 1500. I've added a cold air intake and am thinking about an after cat exhaust. Will it help enough to justify the cost? I'd chip it, but I'm afraid it would void my lifetime warranty.
Thanks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler swap to a better flowing muffler so you can save some money. No need to do a catback unless you’re going full bore on power. I lost mpg when I switched mufflers. Same driving habits. Not sure if the 4cyl mode just likes more back pressure or what. I don’t use mds anymore. Lock it out every time I drive. Get better gas mileage now with it off

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory tune in these trucks is designed with the restrictive exhaust manifolds and muffler in mind. If you change either of those you are most likely not going to see any gains/mpg without a tune to account for it. So going to a better exhaust/muffler isn't going to get you much except a better sounding exhaust.

Personally when I was running the stock tune and put my Magnaflow 24 on, I saw 0 change in MPG or power. It just sounded a whole lot better...

Kevin Pine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed a flow master muffler on my 2012 ram 5.7 hemi, it appeared to affect my low in torque. Bit it sure sounded good. I'm leaving my new 2018 5.7 stock for that reason.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
When I installed a flow master muffler on my 2012 ram 5.7 hemi, it appeared to affect my low in torque. Bit it sure sounded good. I'm leaving my new 2018 5.7 stock for that reason.
I did the same to my old truck and I lost low-end torque . My new 2018 hemi with the stock sport exhaust to me sounds great so I’m not going to mess with it. I have even had people comment on how nice the stock exhaust sounds.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Before you simply replace the muffler, you need to check pipe diameters on the stock setup and on what you propose to use. If you read between the lines here, you can tell that there are differences between changing the sound (only) and changing the performance (of the exhaust system). Changing that performance does not necessarily translate to gas mileage. It almost certainly will increase the sensitivity of the throttle.

Billyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram 1500
Engine
i run a mufflex 18 inch bolt in.
nice and mellow tone and when you get on it, it opens up nice with a good growl. took me 1/2 hr. to install. couldnt be happier.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy a cut out and 2 strap clamps.

Cheap and goes into hill Billy mode whenever you want.

My cheap eBay one has lasted me years.

Probably less than 80 bux plus 50 for a spare connector pipe when I decide to back to stick.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

HemiMax05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge ram
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need for a Cat-Back, Save yourself the trouble and $ by going a custom setup. If you want your exhaust to be better flowing change out the cramped Y-pipe either a custom Y pipe or the Magnaflow Y #10778. if you don’t want loud or to get the annoying MDS drone you can get the 22” Magnaflow muffler #12588 for around $180 all together and then look for a good muffler shop to install. While your at it you can also switch out the stock tips for some 5” tips to compliment the exhaust tone and fill in the bumper gaps if you have the dual exhaust. Just my opinion as its what I did to mine and been running the same setup since 2013.

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can either:

* Obsess over that warranty, which more often than not, turnes out to be a rip-off. And/or worry about .1mpg, which will never amount to a hill of beans.

* Mod your truck, and truly enjoy it.

Pick one. You can't have both.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
03 Dodge QC 5.7. TTI long tube headers, duel cats with stainless cross over pipe, MBRP stainless high flow muffler and 3" stainless all the way back to the bumper, single outlet system not duels mind you. Mopar Cold Air system. No change in mileage that I could detect. Power? no idea..never had it dyno'd. Had a great sound around town...but major drone in the cab when at highway cruise speed. The new 2018 RAM Sport 4x4 CC will be staying stock, unless the exhaust manifold bolt syndrome pays a visit. Then I'm thinking shorty headers, bolted to the stock pipes and muffler.

T.

vwbob16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just installed a Direct fit TOTAL FLOW 18 inch muffler on my 2012 Ram 1500 express Took 20 minutes Super Easy ! Fits perfect and sounds great Not super loud driving around town But does get louder when you step on it !! no nasty drone either Picked it up on Amazon
TOTALFLOW 414633 09-18 1500 Direct Fit Exhaust 2009-2018 Dodge Ram 1500-409 Stainless Steel (18 Inch Muffler)

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
03 Dodge QC 5.7. TTI long tube headers, duel cats with stainless cross over pipe, MBRP stainless high flow muffler and 3" stainless all the way back to the bumper, single outlet system not duels mind you. Mopar Cold Air system. No change in mileage that I could detect. Power? no idea..never had it dyno'd. Had a great sound around town...but major drone in the cab when at highway cruise speed. The new 2018 RAM Sport 4x4 CC will be staying stock, unless the exhaust manifold bolt syndrome pays a visit. Then I'm thinking shorty headers, bolted to the stock pipes and muffler.

T.
Yep that’s why my 18 is staying stock and like you if the manifold bolts break I’ll b doing shorties. I had a 09 titan cc with jba LT mxp cai high flow cats magnaflow 22 and a custom tune it was so freaking loud!

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you want performance that you can see how much you really gained get a tune performed a Dyno. They will wring out anything Dodge left on the table and make the throttle more responsive, shifts firmer and quicker, to name a few.
On a Charger they couldn't wring out anything to brag about but the driving experience was greatly improved.
No back slapping, or coffee spilling shifts, just really nice and optimized. Perky or more like it pedal sensitivity.

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a custom tune, my truck is not stock. I noticed a low end torque gain , when changing from a muffler swap to a cat back exhaust system.