Personal questions on leveling with Bilsteins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leveling Config Questions

2 years ago I installed Bilstein's on all 4 corners of my truck. Long story short I raised it and then put it back to factory ride height.

2 years later and I am ready to raise it back up. I have spent a week scavenging the various Ram forums reading all the leveling posts. However, I have a few specific questions that I hope you can all assist with.

1. My truck currently measures LR - 39, RR - 39.5, LF - 38" RF - 38". Quite honestly I expected a bigger difference between the front and rear. I realize every truck sits and measures differently, but is it possible that the Bilstein's even at factory ride height raised the front some?
2. I know the Bilstein Rear has 1" more travel than factory. If I go with a rear coil spacer should I stick with 1" spacer?
3. I pull a camper regularly and I don't want to be bulldogging too much when pulling the camper. What replacement springs does everyone suggest? Is TufTruck the best option?
4. My existing Bils have about 40k miles on them. While I hadn't planned on changing them out yet, i read a few forums that have me questioning if I should since I am planning to do the Zone UCA's & Tie Rods. Thoughts? Should I keep running them or replace them now? Since I am taking them out to raise them up maybe I should just replace them? Should I also do the rears if I do?
5. What concerns should I have with installing a rear spacer? I've heard metal can be noisy. What about pinion angles? Anything else I should be concerned about?
6. Based on my measurements how would you guys proceed? Setting at 2.1 and a 1" spacer? Does a guy want to try and stay around that 40' mark? Maybe I should only do .7 or 1.4 and leave the rear alone? I struggle with that because I don't care for how it sits now.

For anyone that takes the time to respond to yet another Bilstein forum, thanks in advance!

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your fender measurements seem higher than normal for being stock. That about what mine are with Rancho Quicklift in the front, nothing in the rear, with 285/75r17 tires.
I wonder what your truck would sit at if you installed my Rancho's? Would it sit higher or lower than your current settings?
I have read stories about guys not knowing they had a spacer lift on the front of their trucks because they bought the truck used. Is that possible with yours?

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a possibility with mine. I've owned the truck since new and I was the one that installed the Bilstein when it was time to replace the factory strut/shock. I do have the 20's though. Factory 275 60 20's.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you gonna lift your truck keeping the old shocks, they probably won't last very long.
Shocks kind of "wear in" over time, getting used to a certain amount of travel in a certain position.
If you lift your truck, giving the worn in shocks a different travel pattern, they are prone to premature failure. If you decide to keep the old shocks, be at least very aware of that.
Can happen instantly or a few months down the road.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you gonna lift your truck keeping the old shocks, they probably won't last very long.
Shocks kind of "wear in" over time, getting used to a certain amount of travel in a certain position.
If you lift your truck, giving the worn in shocks a different travel pattern, they are prone to premature failure. If you decide to keep the old shocks, be at least very aware of that.
Can happen instantly or a few months down the road.

I bit the bullet and ordered new shocks. So far I've ordered new Zone UCA's, Bilstein 5100's Front & Rear, New Tie Rod Ends (mine were going bad) and new Sway Bar links.

Since the truck currently only measures about an inch difference between the rear and front (39.5 Rear, 38 Front), I am planning to order a TGC 1" rear coil spacer and setting the Bilstein's at 2.1. Hoping when I am done the Rear will be sitting at 40.5 and the front will be around 40. Maybe I should just go with a .75" rear. Thoughts? Opinions?

I am leaning towards going to a 275 65 R20. I was originally planning on going with the BFG AT, but after seeing the Falken AT3 Wildpeak I am leaning towards going that route now instead.

Has anyone had to deal with Dodge\Ram with a PowerTrain warranty running larger tires? I hate the thought of losing that warranty so I can achieve the look that so many of us desire by leveling and running larger tires.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bit the bullet and ordered new shocks. So far I've ordered new Zone UCA's, Bilstein 5100's Front & Rear, New Tie Rod Ends (mine were going bad) and new Sway Bar links.

Since the truck currently only measures about an inch difference between the rear and front (39.5 Rear, 38 Front), I am planning to order a TGC 1" rear coil spacer and setting the Bilstein's at 2.1. Hoping when I am done the Rear will be sitting at 40.5 and the front will be around 40. Maybe I should just go with a .75" rear. Thoughts? Opinions?

I am leaning towards going to a 275 65 R20. I was originally planning on going with the BFG AT, but after seeing the Falken AT3 Wildpeak I am leaning towards going that route now instead.

Has anyone had to deal with Dodge\Ram with a PowerTrain warranty running larger tires? I hate the thought of losing that warranty so I can achieve the look that so many of us desire by leveling and running larger tires.
Good call on going with new shocks!

For the rear spacers - All comes down to what look you prefer.
I personally like a bit of a rake on these trucks. Not as much as factory, but still a bit.
I would install the front shocks first and decide on the rear spacers then.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good call on going with new shocks!

For the rear spacers - All comes down to what look you prefer.
I personally like a bit of a rake on these trucks. Not as much as factory, but still a bit.
I would install the front shocks first and decide on the rear spacers then.

That is what I am thinking I will do. I haven't found any hard facts on measurements of the Bilstein's when they are set at 2.1. I've read people are getting anywhere from 1.75" of lift all the way up to 2.5". I suppose every truck is different, but it makes it hard to know what to do with the rear.

I uncovered that my dealership inflated my tires to 70lbs at the last oil change. After letting air out and getting them back to where they are supposed to be my measurements were a bit better. But still not a 2"+ rake that most guys have sitting at factory. LF -37", RF - 37.5", LR - 38.5", RR - 39". Only about an inch to inch and a half difference between the front and the rear as it sits now.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is what I am thinking I will do. I haven't found any hard facts on measurements of the Bilstein's when they are set at 2.1. I've read people are getting anywhere from 1.75" of lift all the way up to 2.5". I suppose every truck is different, but it makes it hard to know what to do with the rear.

I uncovered that my dealership inflated my tires to 70lbs at the last oil change. After letting air out and getting them back to where they are supposed to be my measurements were a bit better. But still not a 2"+ rake that most guys have sitting at factory. LF -37", RF - 37.5", LR - 38.5", RR - 39". Only about an inch to inch and a half difference between the front and the rear as it sits now.

Haha, I was wondering how and why your truck sits so high!

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha, I was wondering how and why your truck sits so high!

Even with the air out it seems like it sits higher than most and I don't really understand why!

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Falken Wildpeak AT3 - 275/65 20

Well I leveled to 2.1, installed Zone UCA's, New Tie Rod Ends, Sway Bar Links, and most importantly new shoes. Very happy with how it turned out.

As everyone else has stated, no rubbing with 275 65 20 and overall looks good.

Thanks for all the feedback as I worked to try and figure out my setup!

Attachments

• Front_passenger.jpg
    Front_passenger.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 52