Phaser 274 VVT Camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sinisterCOBRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Express RCSB
I keep seeing challengers with them. They say it will work on a Truck, does anyone know the gains of these? Are they worth it? And Custom tuning is already a must I KNOW lol, And only people I can think to tune it is D3 performance engineering here in Houston unless anyone knows somebody who specifies in Hemi's here in Houston.

I can install myself if it isn't any different than an old 302 or LS Motor

So Main Questions are ~

-Do I need to pull the heads on my truck to install?

- What are the power gains?

- Is it worth it?

-Houston area tuners?

-Any other mods for it like valve train etc etc?

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
No need to pull heads... Just pop off valve covers and pull the rocker shafts off. Spin it a couple times by hand and your good.
The only issue is the new comp cams dont seem to show great improvements yet due to lack of tuning know how. Recent developments may have changed this..

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
No need to pull the head. You can 'potentially' drop a lifter while the cam is out but I've done 3 cams now and never had an issue. The 274 is a very high RPM cam so you'll want a high stall converter because it's quite a dog in the bottom end. I would do a spring swap with the 274 if you do go with it, something like the PSI 1511 springs will be sufficient and there are package deals out there right now with the locators, keepers, and springs to make your life easy and to ensure you have the correct install height.

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your going to need to pull the heads to change out the mds lifters. They supposedly can not support the high lift of the 274. I wouldn't consider this cam unless you have a really good tuner and ready to do the gearing and stall to help this cam. It makes power really high in the rpm band. A custom cam may serve you better

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Your going to need to pull the heads to change out the mds lifters. They supposedly can not support the high lift of the 274. I wouldn't consider this cam unless you have a really good tuner and ready to do the gearing and stall to help this cam. It makes power really high in the rpm band. A custom cam may serve you better
I'm going to agree here. This is a cam meant for higher speeds. I'd suggest a more low end torque cam to try and get the heavy truck moving. Unless your planning on 4.56s and a high stall.

And good luck on the tuning...

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not in Houston but you can try Inertia Motorsports over in Pflugerville, near Austin for the tuning.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Stu is still tuning? Guess he's doing more car stuff huh?
Still tuning? Did he stop tuning?

He was the one who did my custom tune with the cam up until I retuned for the supercharger.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Still tuning? Did he stop tuning?

He was the one who did my custom tune with the cam up until I retuned for the supercharger.

He tuned my 2006....I guess it's just now that I have a 4th gen I don't see him on the 2009+ sections

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Since Stu isn't a sponsor on here I'll say it.

It tunes suck from what I have seen.... don't trust what he says. I have plenty of resources...

Haha I don't know much other than his one tune for my truck so I can't make any other comments.

I would however love to get a custom ground cam from you Jay. Though, that's in the far future since I need to recoup some money from this supercharger and trans swap lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Stu is still tuning? Guess he's doing more car stuff huh?

I haven't heard from Stu in a long time, but I did speak to Lonnie last week...he says that Stu is still very much active on the cars. I haven't seen much good from his tuning, but he does a great job with the stroker kits and ported heads.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Alright you're right I'm just going to keep spending money on the truck...

You win Kurtis lol

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I'll chime in. If I was doing this again, I would go with a custom grind! But I gotta say, Comp Cam 266vvt has changed the dynamics of my torque curve to the "this is really frk'en fun". Base Dyno at 3600rpm was 131hp/181tq. With the Cam, big valve ported heads, dyno runs on the same mustang dyno put the 3600rpm range at 218hp/315tq. Torque peaking around 4500rpm and HP throughout the rpm range. Top end gains results at 5600rpm on the mustang dyno 335hp/348tq. I've had the truck on 3 different dyno in 3 states on the eastern side, the highest dyno numbers (dyno jet) 383.4tq/358.8hp.

ARD in texas has done these cams in trucks remote tuned with Josh at HHP. The 274 is making power through 7000rpms. Pushing your 4th gen to that rpm is worthless in my opinion but has been done. The biggest consideration on the tune is intake runners and tranny or swapping out the intake manifold all together. It's gonna want to breathe! The heads don't have to come off but most will take them off. Spring and retainers definitly should be upgraded, lifters are fine(MDS tuned out). big valves,Ported Heads almost a most, I would at this rpm range.

These aren't really the cams to have if you are thinking FA in the future. Save yourself the time and money and go with the 392 cam. Spending your hard earned money on a blower/turbo is the way to go. Just my opinion, 266vvt is for this truck or a custom grind.

You will lose your EGR monitor. It will not ever be "READY".

Here are some tuners that can remote tune the install. Mike at OST, Josh at HHP, AJ, no longer at Arrington, but can be reached on MMF site as Hemituner. Yohan, diablotuner, can handle this remotely as well. At least, these are the ones I would choose from the small hand full.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I personally would like to see more track results before swapping a cam in these trucks