Phone with Android 12 to 8.4 in screen google maps since Android Auto no longer works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldman6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Since Android Auto no longer works with Android 12, how do I get Google maps to display on my 8.4 in screen from my phone?
I have a 2021 RAM 1500. Android Auto worked fine with my older LG phone that had Android 10 on it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Since Android Auto no longer works with Android 12, how do I get Google maps to display on my 8.4 in screen from my phone?
I have a 2021 RAM 1500. Android Auto worked fine with my older LG phone that had Android 10 on it.
What makes you believe that AA no longer works in Android 12?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I don't see why it's not working. I used mine the last 2 weeks in TN & to/from NJ using version 9 on my old phone and version 12 on my wife's. Both are Samsung Galaxy phones, S8 and a S21.
Is the App updated on the phone?

rick16706

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic - Warlock
Engine
6 Cyl 3.6L
I have Android 13 on my phone here in Tucson, and Android Auto was working just fine a couple of hours ago.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Android auto works with adroid 9, just need to download it to the phone, instead of pre-installed.

Welcome to teh forum.
If you are having issues, post specifics, here, and we will try to help you figure out the problem.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
by the way

OP
OP
O

Oldman6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is what the internet says "
  • Google removed the Android Auto for phone screens feature with Android 12. You can still download and install the app on older devices. But with any phone running Android 12, you will have to rely on the Google Assistant Driving mode. Android Auto availability also depends on your location."

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
  • Google removed the Android Auto for phone screens feature with Android 12. You can still download and install the app on older devices. But with any phone running Android 12, you will have to rely on the Google Assistant Driving mode. Android Auto availability also depends on your location."

Don't know what to tell you.
My S23 puts up a google map, USB Chrod plugged in or wirelessly with no chord plugged in w/o a Motorla AA Dongle, on my 22 Ram Big Horn.

Never used android auto before this phone and truck.
Love how it all works so seamlessly.
My WIfes 21 Explorer ST MUST have a Motorola DOngle plugged into to it ofr her phoen to wirelessly send google maps, to her cars radio screen
OR
her phoen must be plugged in to her car via usb.

I do know that android auto is automatic. icannot acess it on my phones 'screen'
and if I want to mess with it, on my phone,. I need to go through google assistant
to get an interface.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The problem with info like this is it is never time/date stamped. At one time AA was an application that became part of the Android OS.

I run AA all the time, currently, I have Android version 13 on my phone and have no issues.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I see what you mean now. So, the news is good. While you cannot access Android Auto from the app icon anymore, the app itself is still there but much more integrated into the OS then in earlier versions. To access AA you need to open settings and search for "Android Auto". One option should pop up for connected devices and at that bottom of that list you will see the option to enter AA settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230418_095647_Settings Suggestions.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_095647_Settings Suggestions.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230418_095655_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_095655_Settings.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 11

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Re-read it and note it says PHONE screen, not your vehicle's screen. This was an app or option where you could use the phone screen to run Android Auto instead of the in-car infotainment. It has nothing to do with your 8.4 or 12" screen.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Re-read it and note it says PHONE screen, not your vehicle's screen. This was an app or option where you could use the phone screen to run Android Auto instead of the in-car infotainment. It has nothing to do with your 8.4 or 12" screen.
Yeah it was a weird phone version of AA that limited what you could do on your phone while driving. I think it actually used to be called driving mode. I actually had to switch back to my Pixel 3 in December for about a week and it still worked fine in my truck for Android Auto on version 12.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, all covered here that AA still works and as mentioned it is baked into OS. It used to be that you could use phone while connected to set a destination but now just integrated into 8.4 system while plugged in. Everything still works just fine. Plug your phone in and try it out.

BCLJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned by others AA no longer exists in android 12, its now called Google Assistant Driving but should still connect. "If "your other apps are showing up on your Uconnect screen when you connect your phone and just Google Maps is missing its because Android 12 puts maps into deep sleep and you will have to reactivate it in your phone settings.
  1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Device care (on some phones, the name may be Battery and device care )
  3. Tap Battery
  4. Tap Background usage limits
  5. Tap Deep sleeping apps
  6. Remove Google Maps from the list
Try that and see if it works.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah it was a weird phone version of AA that limited what you could do on your phone while driving. I think it actually used to be called driving mode. I actually had to switch back to my Pixel 3 in December for about a week and it still worked fine in my truck for Android Auto on version 12.
It was a version of Android Auto that was for people who's car was not compatible with AA. It was not integrated with the vehical at all other than bluetooth phone if your car had that. You just had your phone in a holder where you could see the screen.

Imo it was never worth much. You could already do things on your phone like navigation and phone calls without it.

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use AA everytime I leave town, but I went on a trip Friday night (4/21), before this I never had any problems, Well this time I couldn't hear the "voice" to give me directions, it was very, very low, even with the volume of the 8.4 turned up. This is the first time that has happened. I checked every setting I could find and couldn't turn up the sound. But when I disconnected the cable and just used "Maps" on my phone, the sound worked as it should. Not sure what happened or what I need to do the get the "voice" to get louder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2020 Ram Laramie.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I use AA everytime I leave town, but I went on a trip Friday night (4/21), before this I never had any problems, Well this time I couldn't hear the "voice" to give me directions, it was very, very low, even with the volume of the 8.4 turned up. This is the first time that has happened. I checked every setting I could find and couldn't turn up the sound. But when I disconnected the cable and just used "Maps" on my phone, the sound worked as it should. Not sure what happened or what I need to do the get the "voice" to get louder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2020 Ram Laramie.
Did you attempt to adjust the NAV volume with the steering control volume buttons? Its tricky because you have to do it when she's talking. "Call & Nav" volume is independent from the regular truck radio volume.

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I turn up the volume while she is talking, it will only raise that volume? I will give it a try.

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you attempt to adjust the NAV volume with the steering control volume buttons? Its tricky because you have to do it when she's talking. "Call & Nav" volume is independent from the regular truck radio volume.
So if I turn up the volume while she is talking, it will only raise that volume? I will give it a try.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Send yourself a long text message and have her read it. It gives you more time to adjust the volume to the level you prefer...